9.1 FPS drops, stutters, choppy

Issue is back after last Windows update.

2/10/2022

:star: Issue is resolved for me after Tuesdays maintenance. :star:

Post if it resolved the issue for you too.

8/04/2021

:exclamation:Summarization what we know that doesn’t fix the problem. :exclamation:

Disable all add-ons, lowering graphics, updating drivers, updating windows, disabling browser hardware acceleration, and more.
7/26/2021

The game has been stuttering sense 9.1 for a lot of people. Sometimes its so bad the FPS drops to unplayable levels. The more players I load into the longer it lasts. Removing all add-ons and lowering all graphic quality controls does not work.

As far as I can tell the stuttering/fps drop happens when:

• I move my character far enough to load in new players and NPC’s.
  • I turn my camera towards players and NPC’s.
  • Bring up the Map.
  • Look at my Macros.

According to forums Graphic Driver updates aren’t solving this issue.

:cry: We need a fix :cry:

35 Likes

Also have this same issue. I re-downloaded WoW, updated drivers, re-installed my graphics card software, reduced graphic settings in-game, and nothing seems to work… :frowning:

7 Likes

Yep, games hitching pretty bad. It’s especially noticeable when using mouseover macros in a battleground

2 Likes

Same here for me. Having the map/questlog open or progressing on a quest (example: Bad Maw Guy Slained 6 out 7) makes the game freeze/stutter/skip for a sec. Noticed in some random areas around SL since this patch came out that my frames will drop too. But most importantly is the open map/quest log problem. Makes doing dailies not fun. Lowest of low setting and disabled addons do not fix this.

7 Likes

Same here. Noticing problems with all of the above, also the game stuttering every time I drop out of combat/a mob I’m fighting dies. Changing settings and disabling addons doesn’t fix it. My FPS sometimes drops as low as 16 and makes the game extremely frustrating to play.

Didn’t have issues before 9.1.

3 Likes

There seem to be problems across the board with anything relating to UI/macro elements, judging from everything people have been posting in this forum since the patch.

I’ve even seen some weird things happen, like the end-of-battleground scoreboard delaying to display (stuttering before loading, after the sound files that accompany the graphic play), and my bars showing my abilities having been used, but nothing registered in-game when I used the ability.

Here’s a fun example: I have a macro for when I use Aspect of the Turtle that makes me say, “A turtle made it to the water!” and plays the sound file of that old turtle lady saying that voice line. In a bg yesterday, I was violently spamming my macro to avoid dying, and the actual ability never went off, but it still registered me saying “A turtle made it to the water!” over and over again as I spammed the macro.

Understand that Aspect of the Turtle is off the global cooldown. The ability goes off the second you hit your macro, regardless of whether you’re currently on the global cooldown from using a previous ability. So, the game was registering that I was in fact spamming my macro, due to the fact that the “/say” portion of it was going off in-game, but it never actually registered the “/cast Aspect of the Turtle” part of the macro.

2 Likes

So, it didn’t solve the problem completely (still experiencing the map stutter issue though I swear it’s not as long of a stall now) but the solution mentioned in this post of disabling the new Target FPS setting seems to have improved overall performance a LOT: FPS dropped from 100 to 40 since yesterday - #42 by Gradius-malganis

Edit: Ok this definitely hasn’t fixed the map stutter and quest objective update stutter, but between those events I’m getting better FPS with the Target FPS settings turned off, so they may be unrelated issues that were both causing poor FPS.

1 Like

After digging through forums last night this problem sounds like an issue as old as the first windows update. A messy update package. Blizz probably fed us an update that was poorly organized but worked . . . on their computers. That can cause delays that affect everything from hardware usage to spell casts registering. If WoW was a cat this update was Blizzard putting socks on its feet.

2 Likes

Today was an improvement. But the issues still persist. Or . . . less people are playing because of these problems so the stutters/delays/FPS trouble just seem smaller. :thinking:

2 Likes

Having the same issue, completely wiped my Interface/Cache/WTF to test and still the same

3 Likes

Having the same issue, open map, fps drops from 60 to 48-50, stutters, micro freezes, same thing when you try to do any WQ and every time you kill an enemy for the WQ.

It’s not just annoying, it makes it unplayable.
before 9.1 everything as fine.

Already did all the Interface reset, cache, WTF, empty addon folder, graphics driver (nvidia 471.11 - GTX 970 G1 Gaming)

Please, fix it.

4 Likes

Exact same issues as what you guys have listed, Stuttering when quest/map opens and frame rate drops since 9.1

1 Like

im not saying its the only fix, but turning off targeted FPS in the settings… seemed to help me. for w/e reason it got set to 8… i turned it off and seems good

1 Like

Found this Blue post on the EU forum.

That was 5 days ago . . . then.

then

Lets hope weekly maintenance will resolve these issues.

2 Likes

having major fps drops 2070 super rtx choppy unplayable
in the new zone mostly

So I thought it was just me. I tried it on my main system on an Radeon 6800xt and was getting micro freezes and 1 second stuttering. Swapped to my other system with an RTX 3080 and got the same thing. So it’s not drivers. Pretty damn annoying.

1 Like

Also having fps drops on a 1080ti, running latest drivers.
Thought it might be related to the map fps issue so refrained from opening up the map for a while on a couple of play sessions. It did not help. Getting as low as 30-40 fps in the maw/korthia sometimes.

Try unchecking the new Target FPS option in the Advanced tab of the system settings. It doesn’t fix the map/quest update stutter issue but it did fix other general FPS issues I was having with this patch.

didnt fix it for me sorry thank you for posting
also audio static popping when listning to spotify havent tried without it yet

having similar issues. Was in the new area today and every time I ran by something or entered combat the whole game just froze for 1 or 2 seconds while it buffered. I tuned down all my setting and the game is still running like crap.

2 Likes