1.12...What's the point?

Perfectly acceptable for Content Patch 2 Pre Raid BiS.

Or you could just look one slot down for the item below the DM cape…

It was also explained at BlizzCon that 1.12 was about the earliest data they had access to. They mentioned having stuff “from even earlier” but it’s not clear what they meant by that, or how far back “even earlier” went.

The earliest complete data they had access to. They had bits and pieces but no complete wholes before that.

Yeah, that’s my interpretation of it too. I just didn’t want to say that outright. I’ve got a target on my back on these forums as it is.

Admit when you’re wrong or can’t find sources, provide sources when you can :-p

Well, I admitted to being wrong about the Wall of No. :smiley: Does that count?

Yet you are still doing the very same thing, but now are focusing on the wall of no: data/version edition.

Thanks, I’ve watched that before but forgot and within the first 10 mins they answer the question. They had a backup of a backup on a backup and when they did their patches back in the day they would re-write over old patch data and thus all the old versions of the game are gone.

They just have 1.12…what an oversight on their part back then, not to save all that data instead of just re-writing over it every new patch. Maybe if they keep looking they’ll find more :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Doubtful. If they don’t have it, they don’t have it.

Even if thy could find father back blizzard stated already they have no intentions of running 2 full fledge mmos. So they weren’t making a project that they were gonna have to patch and make changes to every few months.

It is doubtful. I belive they also had the first batch of code on magnetic tape, which would be use over and over. My first real job was working as a computer operator for a hospital in central California and we had to back up to those huge reels of tape from the mainframe every night.

Today storage is much cheaper and better ways of even saving different branches and versions. Back then it was expensive.

1 Like

Did you watch the video? They got lucky with finding 1.12 data, they had to find them off-site and on old backups.

Wouldn’t be so sure they can’t find more data out there, former employees,backups that haven’t been gone through yet,found yet, in storage,etc,etc, however UN-likely that may be.

I do agree that its very unlikely but it could happen.

1 Like

Even if thy could find father back blizzard stated already they have no intentions of running 2 full fledge mmos

They also said they’d never do a Classic server…money talks in our society, if there’s money to be made it will happen, its just a matter of when. I can tell you right now if Classic is a hit and they start seeing an influx of old accounts they’ll maintain 2 mmos because the shareholders will make them maintain 2 mmos. :wink:

Heck, they might even do a Classic+ server and do patches and add content…:partying_face:

Did you honestly think that Blizzard would/could recode and rebuild all of World of Warcraft from scratch. They needed reference data, and 1.12 is all that they have/exists. You can’t roll back to prior patches that no longer exist.

1 Like

I did, actually. I believe if there was any more data to find, they would have spent the time looking for it rather than settling on 1.12.

By all accounts this is just a side passion project, not something officially sanctioned by Activision.

God I hope not. They do that, I’m out.

Not necessarily, they might have thought 1.12(with all the fixes) is the best starting point and if they needed to they could work backwards for other things. We just don’t know cause they haven’t gone into detail on some of this stuff.

I doubt that, it was the one of the main things talked about the last two blizzcons…

They could still maintain the original Classic server, why would a Classic+ server bother you, you don’t have to play on it…

I think people need to realize what it actually means when Blizzard said when they found the “data” and they found the “code”. Code, is essentially text. It’s c++, java, or whatever you write software with. Data are values you store in a database or a datastore. Things like, if a fireball does 1000 damage, then the association between fireball and 1000 will be stored in the database.

Code uses the data to make WoW run. Now what’s the big deal? The big deal is that it is not common practice to hold years and years of backup “data”. Why? Even though memory is cheaper, it’s still very expensive to maintain huge amounts of data in a database- especially if all you’re going to do is archive it.

Now code is a different story. It doesn’t take up much memory. It’s nothing but text files. So they have more “history” saved there.

But, over-writing data is nothing new. You may keep the old ones around for a little while, just in case your new stuff doesn’t work, but after a while, you delete it. If Blizzard would to keep track of all the data changes across all the iterations of WoW and its patches, the price tag would be very high.

I would normally agree with you but WoW is/was history making, you can make the case why other things wouldn’t have backups and would be over written but when it comes to things like WoW and other things that make history its a oversight in hindsight on their part, all those things should’ve gone into a vault.

I think people need to realize what it actually means when Blizzard said when they found the “data” and they found the “code”.

You’re arguing semantics…You could say data and mean code…since data would be code.

Code is Data . Data is Code