Blizzard, Your art style is perfect! Don't change it

The Reforged Art style reminds me of mobile RTS games, utter garbage. You (Blizzard) should take a look at the old cinematics (Warcraft III RoC and TFT) and base your models/graphics off of that instead. Another resource would be looking at the types of custom units made in the Starcraft II Arcade and seeing if you could model off of those assets.

2 Likes

Just look at it, compare the screenshots from the blizzard and from the project Armies of Azeroth, look at the details, look at the color scheme, the lighting, the style, and tell me what looks more like Warcraft 3? It seems to me that it is obvious that it is the project Armies of Azeroth more close to such a special and unique, atmospheric style of Warcraft 3, in compare to what we have from Blizzard.
(Add a dot before the com)
imgurcom/gallery/kjlB3kz

1 Like

Reforged looks old already without even be released. That’s the problem of realistic graphics with an old engine.

1 Like

The terrain needs a major overhaul definitely, but the models are fine. Realistic artstyle suits this game better because frankly I’m tired of seeing the same low-quality MOBA cartoony style that’s been out of favor for the longest time.

If we can get the terrain texture similar to the Armies of Azeroth mod then this game will be stellar.

4 Likes

I totally agree. I LOVE Warcraft 3 too.

And I like the realistic style more than cartoonish. It is the best visual evolution. It’s amazing that creatures and characters look more and more like kinematics.

I like the appearance of HoTs, but the one of Reforged even more. In HoTs the characters look more flat and disproportionate in some cases.
I really do not feel at all that with Reforged they are getting away from the essence of Warcraft. In fact they do it better and better by making the game more and more similar to the movies.

The work they have done is outstanding, it has failures but is because it needs to be polished. And it is normal given that they are at an pre alpha stage. Metallness looks great. They just need to improve the detail, sharpness, along with the brightness and colors. And keep working with the designs. Improving the modeling of characters, giving them more definition, clarity, sharpness, detail, etc …

Designers must continue to improve the effects, movements, response of the commands and actions… I would also like them improve a little bit more the environment in general (structures, buildings, mountains, trees, grass, terrain, fire …) Continue to improve the effects so that there be a greater visual jump with respect to the original game. Change maybe a bit the size of some units, heroes, even the buildings so that everything be better and more harmonious.

I want to take this opportunity to talk about Illidan. I know you have not shown it yet. But since he is my favorite character. I want him to be made with the best possible design.

I would like Illidan’s appearance not to be like Heroes of the Storm. There he looks very old. For his face.
I would also like him not to be so thick, if not a little thinner and at the same time defined. (Muscular and stylized at the same time) Those 2 points would give him more eye-catching.

11 Likes

I don’t understand why people like HotS art style. Every time i think of it i see the awful Alexstraza model…

1 Like

Too many assumptions and ‘we’ and ‘them’ in the OP.
I’ll speak for myself - I’m not only an old warcraft fan, but I also have a degree in arts, and I don’t like current art style. I don’t think it’s terrible, but it’s not quite right.
It’s not less, but actually more cartoony, you can clearly see the influence of disney and marvel producs in it. I’d say the original WC3 art style was not cartoony, but ‘sketchy’.
The reference point to me are old arts by Metzen and Samwise, not the old dx7 graphics. And I have no idea what HotS is.

I have years in game design and the style of models don’t bother me if shoulders are too high, Jainas breasty etc. Why? Because when games like sc2 got used to skins and i still didnt mind them, how are some unit models that look better and realistic going to bother me?

All that matters to me is the colors in art, such as more relalistic colors. They cant include different texture types like in sc2 so they are doing a nice job with the unit models. Only terrain and buildings needs more realism but there needs to be a contrast between units and terrain so all isnt barely visible if too realistik and dark or desaturated. But I like desaturated than t hese Looney Toons colors with bright textures that old war3 has. So complains about visibility having played both RTS for long, nah.

2 Likes

Personally I love the art style in this remaster. Especially the footmen, they look fantastic. I just wish jaina lost those shoulderpads and that breast plate. I liked her better when she had only cloth gear

9 Likes

Not at all. I hated Armies of Azeroth. It looked so bad, I could not even imagine why people were so hyped for such a trash “HD remaster”.

But Reforged is the thing! Even the terrain looks better than the depressive washed out stuff from AoA, and the devs have barely worked on it.

4 Likes

Her model in game is absolutely gorgeous.

2 Likes

But it’s obvious that, for example, the land in the project Armies of Azeroth looks detailed, and in the reforged everything looks horribly blurry, it’s a fact that the project AoA surpasses warcraft 3 reforged in some aspects.

Completely agree with everything the OP and some other people have said here , ever since i was a child playing Warcraft 3, i have dreamed of units looking just like the cinematics, and this is a dream come true , the footmen , Knights riflemen grunts and orc buildings all look amazing , i think the human buildings Could use some work so that they’d look more realistic , other than that , i have played Warcraft 2 and looking at the spirtes and sound effects Warcraft was never intended to have a completely cartoony design so i am against the idea of a hots like Warcraft … please no, i love cartoony artstyles but i Don’t want Warcraft feeling like clash if clans or hots xD. Warcraft 3 really looked realistic and great for its time , after all like it came out in 2002 , and its most demanding and realistic competitors back then were things like gta vice city, they made the game look as realistic as they possibly could, but they were limited by the power of the pcs of the time , so we got out iconic artsyle … I still love the original wc3, but reforged is definitely a clear upgrade , as far is unit differentiation goes , we just aren’t used to it yet , and maybe with a little tweaking to the model’s like clear silhouettes / identifying boundaries and more team colour on some units all the complaints about not being able to differentiate Would go away … P.s really love the new high quality shadows and it would be amazing if we could get high quality , grass ,as well as random wind effects , like capes fluttering e.t.c , I’d also love to see the physics within rain , like random lighting flashing , and water rippling down steel armour , gosh that would look amazing if possible !

13 Likes

Exactly Typherion. We think the same. The idea is that the game evolves so that it is seen more and more like its cinematics. Until it reaches that level. People who do not agree with the new realistic appearance are based on a model not yet finished. They can not see beyond. And try to imagine it when it is completely finished and polished.

8 Likes

LOL you people are weird. Reforged is far more cartoony than the original WC3, units move like anime characters and their heads are too small.
Arthas’ portrait in WC3 looked like a real human, in Reforged he looks like some Soul Calibur dude.

1 Like

I agree completely. It pains me to see people saying, unironically “its not too late to redo the entire art style, you can still fix this”… The reforged look is incredible. I’m blown away and I really hope they stick with it. I can understand some nitpicky feedback, like the riflemen being too large, or a piece of armor out of place, whatever.
But what they’ve managed to do (and if you look at the concept art for reforged this becomes clear) is create an entirely unique look that is different from WoW or Warcraft 3 or HotS WITHOUT departing from that iconic “warcraft style”. That’s exactly what was needed for this, and I’m personally beyond excited to see the rest of the game.
I hope the development team isn’t intimated or bullied out of the new look they’ve created. The buildings, the heroes, the environments (even though early) all look amazing.
It’s a tough job because you really can’t please everyone. But they’re doing good work. I haven’t been this excited for any gaming news in a long long time.

5 Likes

lol Are you on crack?

1 Like

No, I just don’t watch anime

Please explain to me how on earth this is LESS cartoony than reforged.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/oC6Ea7glhPo/maxresdefault.jpg

1 Like

I love the art style, too! So excited to play!

1 Like