Blizzard, Your art style is perfect! Don't change it

Had to login to voice my opinion, I am an artist working in the industry. Art of reforged is fantastic. Everyone imagined what would it be like if in-game graphics were as good as cinematics. Keep up the good work Blizz, cant wait to get my hands AGAIN on best game ever made!

5 Likes

I like the art style but it looks like the hero glow is gone :frowning:

1 Like

Speak for yourself, please, I didn’t. I always understood that unlike cinematics, in-game graphics ain’t supposed to reflect the world and events in it ‘realistically’. Just like those symmetrical melee maps ain’t supposed to show the ‘real’ geography of the warcraft world.
Well, reforged art style is still cartoony, anyway, even more than the original game, just in a different way.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I’m liking it less each time I see it. Maybe for those of us that prefer the old style, we could have a user project to just up-rez and up-poly the old models (smooth the curves, shape the faces, etc) and interpolate their animations for a higher frame rate.

There’s just way too much going on in the new models. Footman shields used to be plain color with a dot, very easy to see. Now there’s a ton of fancy pattern on them. Orc towers are covered in high-contrast bone spikes which are less clear.

Actually, I do prefer the raiders, though. The big fluffy tails help clarity.

Agreed. Those who prefer the Disney cartoon style can stick with the original game.

A lot of the particle effects haven’t been redone yet (I think even ranged unit missiles were the old ones in stuff we’ve seen so far), so it wouldn’t surprise me if the hero glow hasn’t been set up yet either.

The interesting part is that we’re seeing hero units without them, so I wonder if for mapmaking’s sake they’re divorcing hero models from the hero glows but still adding them in the end. Just not baking them into the models.

You meant to say can stick with reforged? Cause it’s reforged what looks like a disney cartoon, a bit mixed with anime and marvel movie style. Old WC3 is more like hand-drawn comic book style.

2 Likes

The devs have explicitly stated that the original is too cartoon-like, and that they went with a more realistic approach because Warcraft is not a cartoon (probably hinting at Overwatch).

1 Like

Crazy world we’re living in, if people think overwatch isn’t cartoony. lol.

3 Likes

I wasn’t clear enough. Imo, Overwatch is the definition of a cartoon, and Blizzard are familiar with it enough that they feel weird with WC3 being in any way similar to it.

1 Like

I wish that blizzard adds cloud shades which are passing by through the map.

Imagine the worker which chopps wood and the cloud passes by above him. What a harmonic moment.:relieved:

2 Likes

what about wind and trees, smoke, fire, dust moving in its direction ?

3 Likes

There would be no need to go out anymore :relieved:

1 Like

this is definitely the aim :smiley:

1 Like

Despite the information that Blizzard outsourced the art to that company Lemon Sky, I think they did a great job with the models. It strikes a nice balance of WC3 and what WC2 would look like in HD.

5 Likes

I like the new art style much better than the old! I started warcraft with Warcraft 2 and have played 1-3 plus expansions and as much as I love the old games, I do want fancier graphics now. I like what they are doing with this game, very much. I hope they keep it.

5 Likes

I actually love the art style as well. The buildings and units look great, and the metallic look is amazing and it looks just like the cinematics!

I’m not sure I’m digging the way the Ghoul, the Paladin’s face nor the Footman’s shield look. But otherwise, looks fantastic.

For those who like the old art style, just turn off the new one? You can actually do that.

4 Likes

I see.
Well, “cartoon” doesn’t say enough to be honest, all blizzard games are cartoony, but they all have (or had) different styles. Actually I see more similarities between reforged and overwatch, than with the original game. Even if this is just because of rendering tech.

How come the HotS dev doesn’t put his hands on RF? I really liked the alliance vs horde map (or mod if you will) which was released recently

I second that. I like me a bit of WC2 in 3D + WC3 with tweaks.