Top 500 Tank Pick Rates

I think top 500 in tank starting at Masters is very telling when they’ve introduced a new rank above GM.

Lot of people aren’t queing for tank even if it is just mid season.

I feel map pool plays a huge part in it too. Maps with more verticallity Rammatra, Queen, and Mauga (even Hog) struggle over using a dive tank. Less so with Zarya because she can bubble dive dps, but that’s if you play dive dps with her.

Otherwise you go tanks with a beefy defensive nature which those 3 heroes mostly don’t have. Orisa and Sigma do great in that regard.

Also this ^

Zarya is more of a Sombra case hero. In uncoordinated environments they thrive, with teamwork and proper counterpicks they get bodied.

2 Likes

If you take OW1 data you’d see every tank being one tricked. Cause in OW1 tanks could actually play what they want.

The team comp for pro, will waft.

Depends on the other tank, the timing of the respawn, and the team decision on what tank to play next.

This is not fun,

But Orisa is still a beast, depending on DPS and supports.

Rein may have some room, but zarya is more used lately.

It is all counter swapping yet.

I’m not surprised. Rein and Doom players seem to want to be the character, and I think its due to the in-your-face gameplay they provide. Hero fantasy and what not. You see the same for Genji and Mercy mains.

3 Likes

D.Va mains too. We are very dedicated to the hero. But no one-tricks in top 500. :frowning:

1 Like

Reins mains eat in bronze.

I apologize not much can be helped there and nerfung him won’t help that.

Lol. This is absolutely wrong.

First no one played tank and you definitely could not play whatever. Thats why ots like flats was forced to play ball, zar, sig, and ect.

I have 2k OW1 tank hours. I know what I’m talking about.

Not surprised to see monké and hog at the top considering they’re the only tanks remaining with survivability and decent damage (and mobility for winston).

I put it together for supports. DPS is coming soon. It just takes some time. Here’s the link to the support one.

1 Like

I put this together for all regions in the post below. D.Va did actually have the highest representation in EU, even more so than Asia actually. NA and EU both had Winston and Hog as the top 2. Asia had Winston and Doom as the top 2. Orisa was played more than D.Va in both NA and Asia, but it was reversed in EU.

Yeah that was like 1-2 days after the patch released. Good ol ChiefWamBam was a contrarian, saying DVA is strong. Argued profusely in a thread with Lumin and I believe yourself somewhat, about how strong DVA is even after the armour changes.

3 Likes

Psh. You’re parroting what you’ve heard someone else say. 99% of players weren’t in Masters let alone top 500. You could play whatever tank you wanted to where the majority of the playerbase is.

I played Reinhardt in OW1. I enjoyed playing Rein. Win or lose, it was fun. I enjoyed playing Rein regardless of my Roadhog main, tank counterpart. It was fun.

I do not play tank in OW2. It is not fun. Win or lose. It is not fun.

You can check my profile here on the forum. Reinhardt is still my 4th most played hero. And that is 95% OW1 playtime, I have barely touched tank in 5 v 5. I only do placements at the start of season in comp, and play one tank game in QP every 2 months to remind myself why I no longer play it.

I’m honestly surprised I still have more playtime on Rein than Zenyatta, since Zen is one of my support mains since OW1, and he has upgraded to my primary support main in OW2.

1 Like

who is this mauga 1 trick in top 500?

also thanks op for compiling, very interesting and it keeps me up to date

1 Like

I personally refuse to allow my Mercy hours to surpass my Dva hours as painful as solo tanking may be. Dva has been fun in season 9, but before then I was forcing myself to queue tank in qp until I remembered open queue was an option.

Youre amazing, thanks a lot!

1 Like

Done.

1 Like

One thing I see is that tank is by far the most one tricked role which is weird (or actually makes a lot of sense) with all the complaints about counter swapping by tank players. Guess a lot of tank players don’t care and will just feed and lose games rather than swap.

1 Like

Well I mean they’re in the Top 500 so they’re not exactly losing are they?

1 Like

Then guess we don’t have the counter swap problem that everyone thinks we have. Maybe more people should start to one trick their favorite tanks. (Specifically rein for honor)