*SOLUTION* AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT crashing after every game

Hey guys,

I submitted a ticket for problem I’ve been having for almost a month and the GM’s said post this over to forums to see if others are having the same problem. The GM’s and I went over several troubleshooting steps for weeks now and narrowed it down to one thing.

For those using AMD Radeon graphics card and are having issues with crashes, I think I found the source. Its the actual Radeon software that’s causing the crashes (Radeonsoftware.exe).

The TL:DR is the fixed is use the latest display driver WITHOUT the software; the 2019 Edition 19.11.1 back in November. I uninstalled all the drivers (used DDU) and downloaded 19.11.1 drivers only. Played the game for hours with no crashes but as soon as I downloaded 20.1.4, the game crash after one game. Apparently, all the year 2020 drivers come with the software. You cant download just the drivers, AFAIK. Good luck guys and I hope this post helped!

UPDATE:

– 3/20/20
I recently updated the drivers to 20.3.1 (Optional) and it did not crash! I only played for about 15 -20mins though but it didnt crash. I’ll play more tonight for a through playtime. Here’s hoping!

–3/21/20
After one complete game, it did in fact crashed the game so the updated driver for the AMD Radeon still isn’t working without crashing. I contacted AMD customer service and they did the whole copy/paste response instructing me to do a complete uninstall and reinstall the driver. :roll_eyes: Not sure what to do except running on old, outdated GPU driver… ARGH! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

9 Likes

Thanks for posting this for others :slight_smile:

1 Like

How can I do this? Use without software? I’ve been having this problem at my PC.

In Adrenalin 2019 Edition when you select ‘custom install’ you can choose what to install, deselect ‘AMD Radeon Settings’ and you’ll only install the drivers. I’ve never done this myself, so I have no idea if it works.

Thank you for this. I had just gotten a new PC and was getting very frustrated trouble shooting this. (Hard to host scrims when OW crashes after every map).

I’ll update if this works for me too.

Any luck with installing only the Adrenalin drivers (not the software) and rescinding the crashes? I have been using 19.11.1 for a little over a week, but will eventually need to reinstalling the newest ones as I anticipate playing DOOM Eternal without driver issues.

p.s. Has anyone submitted a support ticket to AMD as well?

I tried to install the latest drivers (20.2.2) and it’s back to crashing every time. I submitted a support ticket to AMD just today. It is frustrating!

1 Like

do you have news from amd support?

Apparently there is this very stable version which I’m currently running. They say it’s important to not have anything overclocked though. I only have set my RAM to work at its advertised 3200 speed and that’s it. My GPU and CPU hit their boost clocks anyway and I don’t need any more than that.

So it might be smart to try this out as it truly does seem stable. Uninstall all drivers from AMD with DDU and then install 19.10.2.

Notify us on updates, I will too. Currently testing it out as sometimes it crashes instantly and sometimes it crashes after like 10 games so its kind of a pain. Might be a bigger problem with Windows updates as well (mixed with AMD’s side), as there have been reports of more games crashing. And it’s kind of blurred if the general stability of the PCs have been messed up or if its exclusively with Blizz games.

1 Like

Yea so got an Asus 5700xt got the same problems, also run an older version (19.11.3) the new April update (20.4.1) doesn’t work for me either. I guess it’s still not fixed…

So wait i read it somewhere and tried it. I was able to recreate the crash at will.
I can have about 504 mb of highlights maybe more. But well i just put my highlights somewhere else and boom it works.

I did recreate the crash just by going in and out of the highlight section.
I could even put in more highlights in the folder while the game was running and made it crash. I put the highlights away again and well no crash what so ever.

I havent tried playing games because of time but at least i tried it 6 times and constantly could recreate the crash.

BLZOWCLI0000004 something

I didnt explain well but i tried xd

My ROG Strix 5700xt crashes a lot too, for me if I turn vsync off my games don’t crash🙃. I realize it’s less smooth game play, but at least no crashes. So maybe it’s a driver error with vsync support?

I was having the same issues with my rx 5700 xt and I found that uninstalling the AMD Adrenalin software and only downloading the drivers fixed the crashing issue. AMD needs to fix their software ASAP.

2 Likes

Hey, which drivers did you install? And how did you download them without the software? My PC just started crashing 3 days ago, I installed a new motherboard and nvme, so I had to install a fresh copy of windows thus reinstalling all chipset drivers and radeon software with graphics drivers and such, but now my PC crashes randomly. I have the red devil 5700xt and never crashed before. Any help would be appreciated :pray:t3:

I’ve been having this same issue with HotS primarily where often I will get a complete black screen and most of the time it reconnects me to the game about 3 to 4 times, and then crashes entirely. I’m currently running 20.4.2 for my 5700 XT and I was really excited as the first couple nights I experienced no issues. Yesterday afternoon however it happened again and this issue is really disheartening. Now it’s happening when I play WoW as well. I just rebuilt my entire computer, almost every single part is brand new and I’m just really disappointed at this point with my switch from Nvidia to AMD. Not sure what to do at this point.

Thank, Jonesy!

I removed current version of radeon software and installed 19.10.2 without “Software Adrenalin” (just video drivers) and played through all night without any random PC shutdowns or black screens.

Thanks for posting I was having the same issue with my game crashing every couple of hours. I ran Furmark GPU stress test and it wouldn’t last more than 6 minutes. Downgraded to 19.11.1 driver and it ran Furmark for a full 30minutes with no crashes - will test it on my game tonight but think it’s resolved.

Is the problem with the ReLive software as I did enjoy using that for recording my gameplay. There is an option to download ReLive with this older driver but is that what causes the crashes or is it the 2020 software that comes with the driver? What other apps do you guys use to record game play? Thanks

OBS is what I use for YouTube, and it’s free. It’s also very easy to set up overlays, like if you want to hide chat boxes or other UI elements in your games.

New pc build, having the same issue. Will crash after starting the game!