Rubberbanding/Lag Issue Replication & Detailed Steps

(re-posting as Spam Filters dropped previous post)

Summary

Good day folks,

I’m writing this to offer specific details and what I believe are steps to replicate or isolate the “rubberbanding” issue I see posted frequently. I can only speak for my scenario and experiences, but hopefully it can be useful in targeting the issue or helping others in the future.

In this case, “rubberbanding” is defined as a visual stutter where all peer players on the screen appear to teleport unintentionally and unnaturally around the playing area. The behavior appears to be an intermittent connection issue as the game is otherwise stable from frames-per-second and latency/ping measurements. The rubberbanding behavior can be quantifiably verified by using CTRL+SHIFT+N to view the Network Status stats while playing in a match. The behavior is visualized as small chunks of loss on the graph randomly occurring between approximate intervals of 3-10 seconds. This creates a scenario where the gameplay is in an unpredictable state as it is near impossible to track other players meaningfully.

Context

• This behavior started occurring for me on or around 10/11/2022 (exact date/time unknown - estimate of the past ~5-7 days)
  • Observation of this was primarily between 6-10PM EST game sessions (unknown if issue occurs during other times)
  • Issue appears in at least Pregame Deathmatch Lobbies, QuickPlay, and Custom Games (hesitant to test Competitive)
  • Issue appears to primarily occur in ‘GUE4’ game server sessions. Conversely, sessions in ‘ORD1’ (my other closest game server) appear to behave as expected
  • Though it is worth noting the issue does NOT appear when in the Practice Range and connected to the ‘GUE4’ servers. Tested alone and with PC party members.
  • No material changes were made at my location, device, or configuration when issue arose
  • This behavior never occurred during ~5 years of OW1 sessions prior so appears to be a newer issue

Attempts at Remediation

None of the below resolved or made any material impact on the issue

• Restart PC
  • Restart modem & router
  • Scan & repair Overwatch 2
  • Reinstall Overwatch 2
  • Confirm latest drivers installed via clean installs
  • Confirm Windows is up-to-date, no pending updates
  • Manually release/renew IP, flush/register DNS
  • Try alternate DNS (primarily using Google DNS 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4, and using ISP provided as testing alt)
  • Confirm latest router firmware
  • Attempted testing with both UPnP enabled and manual port forwarding defined

Hardware Notes

• Device: PC – AMD5950X CPU, Nvidia RTX3080 GPU, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB NVME SSD Game Install Location, Windows 10 64-Bit current updates as-of 10/18/2022
  • All drivers-up-to-date
  • ISP: Comcast/Xfinity, New Jersey, USA, 1GB/50MB d/u
  • Network: Router - Netgear R6220, direct CAT5 connection, latest firmware; Modem - Netgear CM1000v2, No VPNS or Proxies
  • Vanilla desktop, no background services/applications/AV/etc running

Game Notes

• Display Mode - Fullscreen, x1080, 240hz
  • FOV: 103
  • Dynamic Render Scale: Off
  • Render Scale: 100%
  • Frame Rate: Custom 240
  • Vsync: On (tested with off, no difference)
  • Triple Buff: Off
  • Reduce Buff: Off
  • Nvidia Reflex: Enabled + Boost
  • Graphics Quality: Low

Anecdotes

• Possible crossplay session issue?
  • Possible config issue with new server environments at GUE4?
  • Possible poor routing from NJ->DC via Comcast/Xfinity?
  • Strange/unusual confluence of hardware and circumstance?
  • Known/fuzzy defect in progress?

EDIT/UPDATE 3 Weeks Later: The same issues still persist and have been getting progressively worse. I’ve attempted to replace my modem and router, had ISP verify line strength/quality, clean windows install on a different desktop, no changes

9 Likes

This os gappening to me too. gue4 still has lag spikes and rubberbandig. ord1 works like a dream. Have you found a solution?

1 Like

Negative – I thought swapping my router out might’ve helped results (and seemingly did for ~2.5 days, but back to square one).

I’m back to believing its a timing/volume issue and the server struggles under load (the issue is most severe between approximately 5-10PM EST). I’m noticing it mostly on the GUE4 server (I rarely get placed on ORD1).

Wish I had better news for you. At this point I just hope they’re aware of it and at least working on a fix. Right now its been silent so I don’t know if that means they don’t know, or they do know but aren’t sharing information until they know more.

I can’t play Competitive as it would be unfair to my teammates. QuickPlay is tolerable on tank because the precision required isn’t as tight, but its still difficult with players phasing in and out.

This is my problem too. I am trying to get out of silver-- but am just continuing to have issues. I am going to stay out of competitive, or at least try to so I don’t get banned.

1 Like

Made another thread but updating this one as well: [Solution/Workaround] Rubberbanding/Latency Spikes / Comcast - #2 by LOTRJunkie-1404

Potentially for folks using Comcast – in the northeast US area at least, IPv6 was recently rolled out. While I can’t articulate why it is an issue, it does cause an issue for me. After replacing modem, router, testing other devices, having ISP techs visit, and ready to throw my hands up in the air, I had one last hunch. I recall from running ipconfig/all that IPv6 information started appearing (and that didn’t as recently as ~6-12 months ago). On a whim, I disabled IPv6 both at my router and device level (Google how to do this for your specific devices. Router should be sufficient as a catchall, but I did my PC too first and just left it off).

The difference/fix was immediate and night and day. My issues were resolved right away and haven’t come back in ~2-3 days now. Conversely, back on the old configuration, it was happening many times every game.

So, this option is easy to toggle on and off with minimal risk. It may not fix the issue for you but is probably worth giving a test. Hope this helps someone, I was very upset and OW is the only game I play with friends.