Reaper's spread is binary

All of this started when i faced a D.va in Comp D.M and just couldnt deal enough damage to her to win duels, specially when low , just seemed like i couldnt headshot her at all, as it turns out…

Reaper's perspective n2. - YouTube

D.va's perspective n2. - YouTube

As you can see, most shots Reaper does to D.va does 70 damage on her armor and 140 damage to her non-armored , meaning, every single pellet is doing 7 damage, not headshotting, as to how this works… as i said on the title, Reapers spread is binary, meaning, the hitscan of his weapon or completely headshots a target, or it completely bodyshots

Reapers PV on how it works - YouTube

Ah, so this is how this Reaper's guns works. - YouTube

As you can see… even though i’m aiming at his neck portion so that all of his pellets connect, no pellets connect for headshot damage , dealing 140 damage a shot (sometimes less cuz his spread is so huge) and some other times dealing 280 , THIS is how it works and why Reaper sometimes gets such a spiked RNG , sometimes 1 shotting people when in reality you’d be doing a inbetween damage… this is my guess as to why it works:

Reapers shots spread in a hitscan manner, meaning if say for example, 20% of ur spread is on the targets head and 80% is on its body, 20% of the time it COMPLETELY headshots, all the pellets hits their head, 80% of the time it doesnt.

Wich just doesnt make any sense, every other shotgun character has projectiles wich work like a random spread would, dealing inbetween damage, to me , this seems its because its not updated, since Reaper was the first ever shotgun character they developed, his guns work in a weird way, specially since hes the only one with hitscan, i for one would’ve prefer the more in line with the actual random spread functionality, this just nerfs his damage per second alot, specially when facing a D.va, spikes his RNG to oblivion and just doesnt make any sense, what do you think about this functionality?

tl;dr/dw Reaper’s shots spread in a very weird manner, a binary way, or all of his pellets connect to the head, or they dont, no inbetween, like other characters, spiking his rng damage , probably because he is the first ever shotgun “hero” designed, i think changing this to be more in-line with other characters would be apreciated.

ps: If anyone with lvl_3 would please post these links for me it’d be greatly apreciated.

Videos in thread, Thank you viralVertigo

35 Likes

Isn’t this like the 3rd time you’ve made this thread?

This time i have the conclusion, the others were inconclusive/non-sense, only having D.va as a target.

3 Likes

This makes sense from my time playing Reaper. Nice catch.

3 Likes

Right? it always felt so weird not getting dinks against a D.va, always dealing the same damage, i didnt know for sure at all , been 3 years, finally this makes sense.

4 Likes

woah there, what the heck is that? 6 shots right at her cockpit and not a single crit? what kind of nonsense is this?
they seriously need to look at Reaper and rework him at this point.

3 Likes

roadhog sucks in the same way tbh

Huh. I was wondering why reaper didn’t get headshot kill most of the time in the killfeed. Since reaper spread so much that at least some pellets should hit the head most of the time.

It use RNG to determine crit base on the number of pellets that actually hit the head. And the crit will be either all pellets or none at all base on RNG. This feel like a crit rocket situation back in TF2.

7 Likes

i’m not sure if i understand exactly what is happening but is it like this?:

Reaper shoot 20 pellets.
If you shoot at someone and lets say, 14 pellets hits the body and 6 pellets hit the heads, the game will either take into account the 14 pellets in the body and ignore the remaining pellets in the head or vice versa? On top of having a totally absurd spread?
Could this be why Reaper is so inconsistent and trash at dealing damage?
good lord please tell me i’m wrong because i’m never touching reaper again if thats the case…

3 Likes

Reaper has bullshed spread. Wow thanks Colombus :smiley:
Seriously. Blizz should take a closer look at this heroes:
Bastion, Sombra, Reaper. They are bad and there are no changes that make them actually better.

Bastion hadn’t been touched since March 2017 and he is garbage for more than a year
Reaper got recent buffs, but it fixed one of many problems with his kit.
Sombra… ugh. She got decent buffs. Not over-buffed, but they made her better. VOILA she got straight-live nerfs that made her buggy af

1 Like

This is how it take it works, lets take a close example to urs…

Reaper aims his simulated 20.1 degrees spread on the targets hitbox, 25% on his target’s head, 75% on the body, 25% of the times, he does 280 damage (before all reductions) , 75% of the time he does 140 damage (before all reductions) , this is whats happening here and why for some reason, Reaper has a really hard time dealing with armored targets from a distance, specially D.va, for her hitbox acts really strange and the hit-scan wont really work on her mecha alot of the times only dealing bodyshot damage…

2 Likes

Shotguns need a complete rework, reaper suffers more because he has no cc to land a perfect shot. Shotguns should be scary for every hero at close range , not at 2 cm and beign lucky if the hitbox is small, they are way too unreliable with the massive drop off and spread

1 Like

3 Likes

Roadhog’s spread is different, as is all of the other shotgun heroes, for they all have projectile based shots, they actually do the damage they should be doing… with some rng ofc.

1 Like

And to think that it has been like this for 2 years… This is just inexcusable.

5 Likes

'Y’ou’re welcome. Just watched the videos… Never thought my statement some time ago about Reaper relying on RNG could be taken so literally xD

2 Likes

I mean, even if it wasnt binary like this it would still be very RNG dependant, like the other shotguns in the game, tho… they should make sense… like them, this way… his ranged damage just suffers, much more, this way he just doesnt do headshot damage at a distance… or that 5% of the time he one shots people… its non-sense… specially the D.va interaction…

2 Likes

'Y’ou should hurry and report this in the bug report section as well, get the thread some more exposure

3 Likes

yes please, it need as much exposure as possible.
They absolutely need to fix this on top of reducing his absolutely absurd spread!

3 Likes

Donzo, if 'y’ou dont mind…

btw if you dodnt mind why the, … '… on the ys?

1 Like