Overwatch Bans: August 2021 Update

Hi folks,

We’re following up on our thread from earlier this year where we discussed our long-term mentality towards cheating. Since we shared our last message in May, our ongoing efforts have identified and taken action against 24,003 accounts. During this time, our team has made progress against multiple pieces of software used to hack in Overwatch.

Today, we’re rolling out a new ban wave, targeting an additional 18,003 accounts.

This is all a part of our ongoing commitment to anti-cheat efforts. Thank you for all of your reports, and please continue to use the report feature in-game!

Play Nice, Play Fair.

81 Likes

Nice.

7 Likes

And how many racists, sexists, homophobes or throwers have you banned on console in this time?

Or do you only care about what streamers report?

32 Likes

Good. The less cheaters infecting the game the better.

3 Likes

You don’t do ban waves for that, you just immediately ban them.

9 Likes

Sadly this will do nothing. Unless you go full scorched earth with a root-kit like Valorant did, the cheating problem in Overwatch isn’t going to change.

I beg you to prove me wrong.

7 Likes

YOU would, Blizzard don’t.

I haven’t had a ban report on PS4 in 3 years and everyone has said the same, hence my question.

3 Likes

And majority of those people already began a new account.

Sad, but true :sob:

3 Likes

A very oddly specific number there

10 Likes

A majority of the accounts banned today used a driver as part of their cheat. While I do understand where you’re coming from, having a driver of our own is not necessarily the only way we can detect cheats.

12 Likes

…and how does this make playing the game better?

Thanks for the update!!

2 Likes

Yes ban cheaters but not throws nice :slight_smile:

2 Likes

any particular reason both numbers are 003 or just coincidence? just curious

1 Like

Its probs just a coincidence,

Excellent. Now do smurfs.

7 Likes

because now you’re that much less likely to get a cheater in your game?

1 Like

Completely coincidental, but feel free to let your imagination run wild.

12 Likes

Fresh Accounts aka Smurfs/Griefers (derankers, and try hards), Hard Throwers, OneTrick Alt Accounts “Insert Name Only” character, and other new accounts that don’t care to win in comp or play in a low rank to have “less stressful games”: Fair you say?? HahA!!

7 Likes