Event = the amount of Cheaters explode

In my 5 years of playing Overwatch, I have only seen 1 full cheater, they used wall hacks to know where I was going while there wasnt a widow on the team.

And I was playing sombra at the time

You hear how crazy this sounds, you guys who are trying to claim rigging are as bad, if not worse than flat earthers

2 Likes

I dont subscribe to conspiracy theories thanks.

Feel free to actually provide proof instead of “I’ve read somewhere that …” because we can all do that and word is cheap.

Cheats have gotten so good they are barely noticable, so most people still think “there are no cheaters in the game”.

Keep posting OP, there is no other way to raise awareness than just remind of the problem. Maybe one day they will start suspecting something. When the enemy Ana will land a 180 airshot Sleep on an ulting Genji in their Silver game lol.

5 Likes

That’s an interesting thought, because that’s exactly how valve started handling the process for CS:GO.

For those that aren’t familiar: Valve created a system (called Overwatch, amusingly) that rates certain categories of players based on how the system evaluates their legitimacy.

It is based on a combination of how often they get reported by other users + how often some sort of deep-learning AI system flags stuff they do (for example, if they frequently go towards where the other players are hiding even with no logical reason for doing so).

So somebody who piled up a lot of “sketchy” plays that weren’t conclusive enough to result in an actual ban would still get funneled away from the high-quality legit matches and would be significantly more likely to play against other suspicious players.

If overwatch’s system uses a similar passive monitor and/or a suspiciousness tiering system, it would definitely explain why some people insist there are a lot of cheaters and others insist the exact opposite.

Nothing in those patents describes what you are talking about at all. The language sounds entirely like it is referring to PvE gameplay vs. AI controlled opponents.

That doesn’t mean it’s not possible, but it seems very unlikely, since it would offer little or no benefit for improving player retention/satisfaction and would risk an enormous scandal if hard evidence ever demonstrated that a set of background algorithms was secretly rigging a supposedly “competitive skill-based environment”.

I wouldn’t be surprised if matchmaking for call-of-duty uses those patents for exactly the reason you think, but Overwatch has too much invested in the existence of competitive gameplay.

1 Like

For anyone denying that Overwatch has a major cheater problem here you go: Overwatch Bans: August 2021 Update

That post was from a couple of months ago. Straight out of the Community Managers mouth. What do y’all cheater deniers got to say about it now?

4 Likes

At least PC OW can detect in game cheats.

Us console players are literally helpless against the XIM using MNKers out there.

I wouldn’t say helpless. Those players are usually super boosted and therefore pretty easy to deal with. At least at my ranks. Maybe in grandmaster being an honest player gets you nowhere.

I’m not great by any stretch of the imagination, but on console you start seeing consistent MNK in high plat, but once in +Diamond it is virtually every match.

I’ve met so many players who openly admit to it and frankly it’s sickening. Many of these players can jump 1-2 ranks with this mechanical advantage. Which is quite significant when you consider they are jumping into the top 10% of all players (literally Plat to Diamond is a massive jump in community percentage breakdown).

2 Likes

I’d say that’s not a lot of cheaters because let’s say Overwatch has 2 million players, I personally think it’s more, but let’s just say 2 million, that’s only 0,9%. Not much if you ask me. Definitionally not as much as OP describes. Sure that’s only the accounts that got caught, well let’s double it then: 1,8%. Still not a lot.

2 Likes

Iv’e seen 7 or 8 100% cheaters in the past 3 years. 3 of them Bap aimbotters.

There are lots of smurf accounts online at the moment, but not cheaters.

The dude literally shot himself in the foot with that link … OW has like 1.2-2M concurrent players and thats a low percentage LOL.

Also, cheater accounts can be banned even after months of not logging into the game so yeah, those bans do NOT equal = Current live used accounts so yeah.

Thanks for winning the debate for us buddy :rofl:

1 Like

People would if their replay code thread wouldn’t be delisted in one hour because its against the ToS

If you look at the korean forums, its filled with cheater replay codes because they even encourage it and the mods even “name and shame” the cheaters in a thread.

Yup and some of these accounts are not even unique players because these cheat nerds just buy a new account when they get banned or have multiple cheat accounts so the actual percentage of cheaters might even be lower again.

Like I said, he also doesn’t post replay codes on EU where he makes the same threads and where we are allowed to post replay codes as long as we don’t mention names.

2 Likes

but how do you manage to have a hawk eye capable of identifying a cheater in every single game? indeed, it is simply ridiculous to claim with full certainty that all of your games contained cheaters not bannable after your reporting or in each matches.

frankly … either you don’t know people who know how to aim, or you just judge by the fact that you have 15 consecutive losses. It’s for folks like you that then the game becomes tremendously call of duty style and no mechanics that require collaboration! (No collaboration needed)

when one is a loser too many times, “Maybe” he really is. :unamused::unamused::unamused:

(Ah… But surely there’s cheaters… How can I doubt on it?)

That makes sense actually I didn’t think about it that way. 24,003 seems like a lot with just that number alone but when you compare that to how many players are playing the game, you’re right, it really isn’t a lot.

Fair enough.

24,003 was the previous ban wave. The banwave from your post were 18,003.

Yeah, well the post said since May we have banned 24,003, and then it said they were targeting an additional 18,003. So 24,003 + 18,003 + how ever many haven’t been banned yet. Still isn’t a lot compared to how many players there are. You’re right

And we have to factor in the cheaters buying more accounts too, which makes it even less actual cheaters.

You are sourcing that number from where, exactly?

Because I don’t think overwatch has had close to a million people playing it at any given time since 2018.

The most players online at any given time in the last year is about 650,000.

Source: https://activeplayer.io/overwatch/

The only statistic I can find that even comes close says “6 million monthly players” and that doesn’t exclude people who log in once/twice a month just to check what’s new after patch/event updates, nor does it exclude players who have multiple accounts.