[ Orisa] Active playstyle change idea

Was having a discussion last night, and one part was how bland Orisa gameplay is.

So here’s a design idea I came up with, that makes Orisa feel like she’s got a lot more active choices to make, besides her usual gameplay loop of:

1. Stand in one place
  2. Place barrier
  3. Hold Primary Fire down constantly
  4. Use halt to combo something
  5. Fortify when in danger
  6. Repeat

Orisa

• Fortify : Slightly larger hurtbox, 4sec duration, 20% damage resistance, 20% movement speed increase, immune to CC effects, immune to headshot multiplier effects, can bodyblock ults and piercing attacks, does not feed ult charge.
    • Dark blue outline around her HP/Armor to signify no ultcharge feeding
  • Halt : Does not Slow enemies
  • Barrier : 600hp, on an 7sec cooldown
  • Primary Fire : Projectile speed increased 20%.
  • Passive: Gallop: After walking forward for 1sec without using abilities or attacks, Gain 5% movement speed for each of the next 4seconds, for a maximum movement speed increase of 20%, canceled when using abilities or attacks
    • Would be even better if they could change her run-cycle animation to be a gallop.

Results:

Fortify: Basically an invisible Zarya bubble that’s tied to her Healthpool.

Gallop passive just feels really fun, and is less depressing when walking back from spawn. You’d think those 4x legs should be good for something.

Overall, Orisa is moving a lot more. And her Fortify basically turns herself into a moving barrier.

And just in general a lot more options for differences in playstyle moment-to-moment, and moving in general feels good.

Thoughts?

Oh, and somebody went and built a Gallop Passive.

6 Likes

This mechanic should be added to more tanks too, like Hog after breather.

Dark blue outline around some of his HP to not feed some ult charge for a while.

1 Like

Sounds op, but I know I’d be playing tank if this happened

1 Like

To have a more active Orisa playstyle they just need to revert the Fortify nerfs.
Those happened for basically no reason (I remember in the forums many people said it allowed for a more dynamic Orisa playstyle and several people were happy with it, even after the severe nerf she got cause of double shield)

sounds fun, i love any and every buff to mobility :smiley:

I don’t think having a more effective “I die less” button is really much of an active playstyle.

To be fair, this is a part of my typical, “make it so DoubleBarrier is more vulnerable at close range” stuff.

A minor speed boost, and projectile speed increase isn’t gonna do much against a Reaper in your face.

Especially with no Slows, and less damage resistance

Especially since I would expect this to be combined with that Armor nerf I had in mind.

1 Like

That’s just too much. Things that are good: 20% damage resistance, not having movement speed penalty.

Things that are bad: 10% speed increase is just a little much, it would be hard to aim with old projectile speed. Not giving any ult charge, just why? Orisa doesn’t feed almost at all, and then support also wouldnt get ult charge right? Immune to headshots, can block shatter and fire strikes etc?? Too much.

First ones would be cool with nerfed halt, gallop passive, maybe better barrier, but maybe like 750hp is better 10 sec cooldown

Fair, let me scrap that. Not getting self-slowed by attacking is enough.

1 Like

Because this gives her the incentive to intentionally bodyblock damage. That said, let me throw in that her hitbox would be slightly larger.

Since basically what’s going on, is they would throw an invisible Zarya bubble on her that’s tied to her Healthpool.

Meh fine I’ll take out the removal of selfslow too. She could just stop attacking to manually do that.

Reworded that, it’s not immune to headshots. More like headshots don’t do additional damage.

Bumped up the barrier cooldown to 7sec, so she’s a bit more dependant on using Fortify to supplement her barrier.

Also I remember making a thread about fortify giving Orisa 30% speed boost (so no move penalty while shooting) and less dmg resistance though.

@Grey you even posted that it was an interesting direction for her. Better for her mid range damage consistency.

Yup, it was a “this is useful to get to cover, but kinda useless against close range”

The projectile speed changes are similar, in that they are useful at medium range, but near worthless at close range.

1 Like

I get your point, it is just to make Orisa more aggressive tank. I think removing movement penalty from fortify would already make people push in with it. Maybe keeping fortify damage resistance be like 30% would be a good compromise.

You said about making Orisa be able to block shatters, maybe yeah but she can already bodyblock charging Rein and keep him/his team away with halt. Also Rein ult was recently nerfed a little already.

Also with 6 second 600hp is a little too much too, you could block so many ults with that. I still think it’s better to have higher HP barrier (for example 750) but same 10 sec cooldown.

Orisa is my favorite tank, check my hours xD. I just feel like its so hard to balance her with Sigma being around too. Maybe double barrier is just here to stay and solution is just to buff D.Va or Winston who could just out manuever them with mobility. Or nerf Sigma some more? Idk even what to dp

Giving Orisa mobility makes positioning changes important to her, less stationary, and she’ll have resources to do so with these changes. I like it.

Actually that’s another mechanic that could be used. Don’t cancel the movement penalty. But give her a speed buff. So she’s moving pretty fast when not firing.

So there’s a decision between attack and not attack.

Put in a 20% movement speed bonus on Fortify, enough that it doesn’t cancel the 30% movement speed penalty while firing entirely, but if you stop firing you are moving pretty fast.

1 Like

I don’t think Orisa is bland at all. Being able to just stand up to whatever is coming your way with no intention of backing down is quite fun!

When you think of an anchor tank, Orisa should be the first that comes to mind because she isn’t moving unless she wants to.

“I told you to stop resisting!”

But you can see where I’m going with this.

More choice variety in playstyle moment to moment.

Rather than just plunking down a barrier and standing still, occasionally throwing out a green orb, then Fortify when the barrier gets overwhelmed.

It’s also a sneaky increase in her capability to play SingleBarrier.
While making her a bit easier to overwhelm with Dive.