My take on the sym rework. What i personally think it should have beenc

Allright first of all if your gonna say

LUL U SALTY CUZ YOU HAVE TO AIM HAHAHAH

just go do something else, i will not respond to those types of ideas…

Lets break down 1 by 1 whats the problems with current sym,what was the problem with old sym, and what i think would have solved it

The primary fire

The current problem with new sym is that her primary fire is almost completly overshadowed by her secondary, theres almost no situation in which you will want to use this over the secondary one,

with old symmetra, the issues what about the autolock beeing a “noob stomper” and killing through walls, and or doing too much damage,

The main reason why blizzard got rid of the autolock is because they tried to give sym more damage, but couldnt keep it like that because it would be to OP, So they made it a zarya-esc beam, which in paper sounds good but lets look at the numbers

old sym beam: 30/60/120 (if my memory serves me right)

New sym beam: 60/120/180

Now look at the accuracy, The average accuracy of symmetras is 31%

meaning the damage turned from 60/120/80 to 18.6/37.6/55.8 and that is ABYSMALLY LOW,

imagining a GM player has 60% accuracy, this is just an assumption, the damage would be: 36/72/108 - Which is still VASTLY INFERIOR to old symmetra(except lvl2) in turning her into a dps you made her deal less damage than before, you would have to have 80% accuracy or more you would deal: 48/96/144 which then is just BARELY better, 80% whopping accuracy,

And the ramp up suffers from the same issue as the damage, sure it ramps up in the same time; but it only counts when the beam is hitting the target and tell me when was the last time you kept your cursor dead on a genji for 4 seconds who is jumping arround like crazy,

secondary fire

The only issues i find with the new secondary fire is the loss of the pierce aspect of it,

the issues with the old one were that it moved a bit too slow and took a while to charge

this one was simple, Increase the speed SLIGHTLY and the charge time slightly, no need for an entire rework for that…

The barrier:

Phonto barrier vs big boi barrier

Photon barrier was actually really good, and it helped good symmetras to defend themselves, i have no particular issue with new syms ult other than it feels underwhelming,

The loss of her E made her loss her only means of defense, making her even more team reliant, there was no particular issue with the E symmetra had, i only wished it spawned a little bit closer to sym, almost in her when you pressed E, or that you could stop it mid air by pressing E again,

The turrets

The problem with new sym turrets? a lot of what made sym was lost, the old symmetras took minutes just to carefully place turrets in bushes or in desired spots just to get that tiny extra bit of ult charge at the start of a match, now its just kinda… Meh, throw em everywhere one of them is gonna do your job, also, Rip reinhart who cant even move while beeing hit by them

The problem with old sym turrets? too easy to kill, too much of a cooldown,

What should have been done? Making old sym turrets throweable could be one thing, ive heared the argument that this might encourage spamming them, so i would just make the placement range much bigger kinda like how her tp is right now,

Remove the slowdown when you place them as well, thats just not needed, Maybe reduce the cooldown by 2s

other ideas that i proposed before where to make the turrets turn invisible when not firing for 2s, so you can recycle turret nests easier, and make them reveal the target their firing at through walls to sym,

The teleporter

The problem with TP now? its buggy, explodes out of nowhere, and almost nobody uses it even if your shouting at them to do so, sym is only useful with a 6stack of OWL top500 players that are all IRL friends and are willing to communicate everything they do, the loss of this ability alongside mass rez (dont turn this into a mercy discussion pls) meant that the defenders now no longer have their portable “respawn” cards. meaning that defending got even harder 1 mistake and you lost the entire point

The problem with old tp? too much downtime, you place tp somewhere, NOW you cant do anything about it, deal with it, It also got destroyed quite quickly once someone like tracer found it, and you sometimes want that to happen since you want something else

What should have done? Increase the TPs health to 400 like how it was done, But also, Once symmetra places a TP let her charge another one at double the cost (from 1000 points to 2000 points or even more if you want), placing this one would delete the old one and let you place a new one, A good sym will have a constant stream of teleporters coming nonstop if uninterrupted , and lets you do something about it!

The loss of shield gen

Following the same logic about before, beeing able to put another one after placing one already, or just swapping your TP for a shield gen would have been a good idea, But what people dont realize is this:

The loss of shield gen made 1 shots stronger,

What saved you from getting 1 shotted by doomfist? shield gen

what saved 200+ hp heroes from beeing 1 shotted by hanzo HS? Shield gen

Same for 250+ hp heroes by widow

and i can go on and on and on, Like sure, brigitte can do this too, But brigitte can only do it to 1 person in a clutch moment provided shes alive and reacts fast enough, and her ult armor eventually vanishes after taking damage too, But syms shields? nope, they always come back except the gen gets destroyed

Overall symmetra 3.0 is not a bad hero in the slightest, fix a few issues she has and shes fine, What i want to say is, Was this rework even necesary? a lot of the changes above would have done her good without an entire rework, Her kit wasnt even that bad, no more unecesary reworks, The problem is that now shes TOO team and communication reliant, if you have a good team willing to communicate you can do godsend with her, but unless your in OWL that wont happen, Sym 2.0 atleast had some independance of her, You didnt want to take my tp from spawn? too bad ill take it myself or the next person who respawns (and people didnt miss the old tp often)

TL:DR: Sym needs too much teamwork, rework unecesary, didnt have to happen

6 Likes

No but I am salty. Sombra is underpowered beyond relief and still gets nerfed with every patch, while consistently requiring inhuman skill. Meanwhile Doomfist just presses right click and teamwipes instantly with no skill required.

Lets not turn this into a doomfist discussion either, But come on, how did we went from saying that doomfist needs so much skill that he is umplayable to everyone except gms to this

It’s more about Sombra being completely outshined by Doomfist or rather Sombra being underpowered while requiring massive skill. It’s time to give her at least 80 extra dps and a shortened cooldown on hack (maybe 2-3 seconds).

I think everything but her primary fire and the buggy as fk teleporter is good. I have a sym one trick account that’s sitting at the 3k border, and I maintain a 62% accuracy with her primary fire over 80 games, yet it’s probably the most useless part of her kit.

They need to

1. Increase ammo to 100

2. Increase range to match Zarya’s beam

3. Decrease ramp up time to 1.75 seconds per level

4. Increase the minimum damage done from 60 to 75 or so

5. Decrease the maximum damage done from 180 to 165

As for the teleporter, they need to fix its placement and the random destruction. They seem to have used the same logic for placing it as Reaper’s teleport which is straight garbage. You can be looking at a ledge above you and it will place somewhere below you, or the placing indicator will flash in and out of existence until you give up. And then when you finally do place it, it just explodes for whatever reason and goes on cooldown.

1 Like

But yet as i said, you would still be dealing less damage than the old version of her even with that accuracy

Bumping the thread up

I think Blizzard is trying to get this game away from turrets like torbs turret and syms old turrets because you have to take time away from fighting to set it up and it just is horrible. It’s basically like having 5 people instead of 6 most of the time because it takes so long to set the turrets up then people can just destroy them instantly.

1 Like

I like how this forum assumes the most obvious changes wasn’t tested internally by the devs, and that only they, the forum posters, know how to change a hero and the devs are so dumb to not try this obvious thing.

i love the new symmetra, no changes needed :kiss::two_hearts:

i use her primery a lot and have 50% accuracy… its not that bad, i will keep working on it :relaxed:

also bumping threads is spamming just so you know

It definetly doesnt seem that way, as the numbers point out, transfering a support hero a damage hero somehow ended in them doing less damage, that does not sound right to me

Of course, they dont communicate at all so it might be that they think this is fine

But after the turret is setup its a 7v6 if you play it well!

1 Like

yea but now more and more players are aware to the sneaky turrets and easily counter them.

If only we had some devs communicating what they tested and didn’t worked internally, like they did with Hanzo. I liked that Hanzo post saying why restricting Scatter to walls, giving him a pierce shot, or giving him a “reload” ability was bad. Symmetra totally deserved something akin to that.

Especially because all that Hanzo talk was about a single ability. Sym got a full rework with an all brand new kit. We deserved some explanation beyond the little lines we got in the patch notes.

They also mostly ignored all feedback sent to.them :confused:

Oh and i wanted to add:

Lets not forget about All the bugs she has