"Mercy is fun as she is, no changes needed"

Clarification:
This is not a strawman argument, it is a reply to a statement made by another poster

2 Likes

mass rez would be complete chaos in the way the game is played now

1 Like

Actually, it isn’t.

A statement was made that moving and not moving are the same thing, when they are not. My statement directly addresses such a statement

the statement above says that you cannot do anything and then proceeds to also say what you can do is limited.

which is it, exactly?

clarification: I have not played the victim in this thread, nor in any thread I have been a part of. I have actually been the victim (quite regularly) of personal attacks, but there is an enormous difference between playing the victim and being the victim

2 Likes

Clarification: I have not used strawman fallacy tactics in this thread

2 Likes

Lmao, you must not come on the forums very often, I’ve writen many, many, many LONG posts about WHY exactly I love current Mercy and find her fun and strong and impactful. I don’t feel the need to retype up paragraphs to “explain myself” when the Devs are basically already on my side in supporting and keeping the rework. Why do I need to defend something that is going to stay? lol…

But I’ll humour you

Or me explaining why I think Mercy is super strong and impactful (and why I enjoy her)

I love Mercy. I’ve poured almost 1,000 hours of my last 4 years into the hero, because she’s so fun to play (after the rework, she became even more fun to play). The GA changes and buffs added new layers of depth and complexity. E rez brought new power and utility to the table and gave me more decisions, power plays, burst impact, and carry potential, while also raising her skill ceiling and reward signifigantly (contrary to what bad Mercy players will say lol), and Valkyrie is so much more useful, fluid, and fun to me than waiting for my team to die and pressing Q for insta-mass rezz W0oo.

I love Mercy 2.0 and am so glad she is here to stay. I love it much more than 1.0 which had toxic, unhealthy gameplay that promoted hiding to get maximum value from her ult, a less fun GA, and a lack of E ability utility. Not only was Old Mercy was more passive and reactive, she was way less complex/more easy to get value out of. Many of the Mercy players I see complain that current Mercy is “bad” or “useless” are actually just horrible at playing her, and that’s the tea. :slight_smile: I’ve gotten to GM on 5 separate accounts playing Mercy exclusively, a good Mercy can carry sooo hard. I even had the enemy DPS streamer Kabaji tell him stream I carried the game as Mercy after we beat them:

h ttps://clips.twitch.tv/EndearingSucculentAxeStinkyCheese

Yet all the RevertMercy people will claim and claim that “current Mercy is useless and has no impact and can’t carry !!” which is so untrue it’s not even funny lol.

5 Likes

I have also written very long posts as to why I dislike Mercy. I find her kit to be anything but seamless and in my opinion having many design flaws and contradictions.

I wrote at length about it here if you want to check it out, I’ll be reading yours as well to see if we can find common ground to discuss and possibly have my mind changed. If you are open to doing the same I would encourage you to read my posts and see if you can glean anything from it.

Now as for what I can agree on, yes I prefer current Mercy over Mass Rez Mercy by far, but I don’t think current Resurrect is the best compliment to her kit as it creates the same problems the developers did not want the original Mercy to do (e.g. stop healing and hide from a fight in order to use Resurrect).

As an ultimate, Resurrect is too weak but as a cooldown it is too strong and I propose a complete removal of it.

However, beyond what I suggest in my thread, I would also take a swap of Valkyrie and Resurrect where Resurrect becomes single target like her current one and has a reduced cast time (maybe 1 or 0.5 seconds), but the target comes back after a longer duration (perhaps 5). The amount of time for a resurrected ally to return would stay the same in my original thread or even have it increased.

The rez would be a fast charging ult similar to Tracer’s but have that lower impact compared to other ultimates.

This way she isnt encouraged to hide as resurrecting would be seamless and once again be a core part of her gameplay as currently I do not believe it to be so and if anything Valkyrie is more core to her gameplay now seeing as it comes up far more often.

3 Likes

Making the cleanse also heal the target would make it much less situational. It would also provide a solution to Mercy’s issues with supporting tanks post-50hps nerf.

A cleanse+heal ability would also have a higher skill ceiling than a cleanse alone. Do you use it right away to boost your healing on that half-health tank? Or do you save it, in anticipation of an impending cc attack?

3 Likes

Okay yes, I like this a lot. It’s kinda like an anti-anti-nade :smiley:

i remember you /squints eyes/ you were one of the people that saw this problem with me even back at the start of the rework

1 Like

Maybe to some she is fun, I find the game significantly more enjoyable when neither side picks a Mercy.

Out of all of that arguing about what a strawman was with Mega, why would you go out of your way and create one yourself?

You’re actually sitting here oversimplifying and lying about the plethora of problems Mass Rez had in an attempt to equate those problems to current Res.

You’re saying Single target res is bad because it’s got the same problems.

Developer Comments: While resurrecting downed allies is a core part of Mercy’s gameplay, the way her Ultimate functioned was causing a number of problems. It was frustrating to play against, and it incentivized Mercy players to hide away from important battles, instead of taking part in them. This version turns Resurrect into a single target ability. It’s still an important part of Mercy’s kit, but plays much better for both Mercy players and her enemies. Valkyrie, her new Ultimate, gives her the opportunity for big game-making plays and opens a number of new options for her.

The actual developer notes from that patch. “Mass Rez incentivized Mercy players to hide away from important battles”

This was due to being able to res multiple people up to your entire team, so staying alive was important enough to warrant Mercy not being in the fight at all. Now mercy can use her single target res in the middle of the fight, is incentivized to due exactly that with the ability to swing player advantage in your favor during the fight, and has proven to do exactly that countless times during her reign when D.va would defense matrix her to get rez off safely, or Zen would pop trance to keep her alive while she ress’. You won’t catch Mercy hiding the entire fight waiting for a bunch of team mates to die before she pops out from hiding and single target res’ one of them.

It’s not the same problem at all.

There is no reason for her to be out of the team fights entirely with current res what so ever. In fact it would be pretty useless if she used it after the team fight already ended considering there would only be two people alive just feeding the enemy more ult charge.

The ability has a great reward for a great risk to it now, a risk which can be mitigated by coordinating with your team effectively raising her skill cap. Like, the only way it could be further opposite from mas rez was if it killed her team mates.

That whole not healing thing you tried to strawman as well. Nowhere was that mentioned in the dev notes. Beyond popular belief, Mercy doesn’t always have to heal. She’s not a heal bot. She’s got damage boost, she’s got a quick charging ultimate allowing her to go offensive and potentially win team fights on her own, the Neptuno way if you will, and most importantly she’s got one of the strongest abilities in the game that actually is balanced by the huge risk behind it with a nice skill curve having to coordinate with your team in order to make the best use of it. Sometimes healing isn’t the best option.

1 Like

Other healers leave much more room for mistakes. While also being less frustrating to hunt for opposite team.

Mercy both gets her team very small place for mistakes(which do happen, and with 50 hps can easily get you killed) and is tricky to catch for enemy team.

So it’s understandable, why both teams would have more fun, if neither picks Mercy.

2 Likes

Ironic because the people in this thread that don’t like the current Mercy have been more than open on having a discussion and accepting someone else liking her state. The people that do base their arguments on nothing but “I think she’s fine and balanced” and give nothing else to the discussion are the ones that don’t want her changed. Hm, makes you think. :thinking:

8 Likes

I really wouldnt mind her kit as much if it wasnt for her self regen passive, I can let bringing people back to life slide if it wasnt for the fact that skinny flying wolverine is doing it.

Please, just stop talking about Mass Rez. It’s gone, we get it, stop digging up the corpse of the ult to beat it with a stick. Silawatsi wanted a discussion on how to improve the experience for players still dissatisfied with the current Mercy without a revert.

If you want to discuss her old ult make a damn thread about it - it would be redundant, but at least it wouldn’t clutter this discussion.

5 Likes

She can bring back only one player at a time, and can’t dodge your attacks while doing it. Can be ignored safely at other times.

1 Like

This isn’t something new Mercy introduced, I have been able to do that before they changed her. Therefore it isn’t something you can commend new Mercy for, it is something base Mercy can do.

Beam juggling and Priority is a base/core kit Mercy thing, which means OG Mercy had it too. Same with not dying, she had a worse GA then so it was even more skillful not dying then.

DB to bolster a teams ult economy and secure kills, still something OG Mercy could do.

And sure, it has always reduced the amount you needed to heal, but because of the changes to damage boosts, for certain heroes it is a less viable strategy because you would need to boost them before they use certain abilities and that isn’t always possible or reliable to do and the further down the ranks you go, damage boost becomes less reliable because people suck more.

I also Main Healer with Mercy almost every game and I always get the gold healing too and I pretty much always secure 30-50% depending on how good people are and how free I am to do other things. And even with those healing percentages, I can still get 6-12 resurrects. I was always able to get 30-50% before the healing nerfs anyway, it just meant I had more freedom to heal less because it took less time to reach max and do something else.

I get compliments too, from both OG Mercy to now. From tanks, from DPS, from other supports.

I can keep my tanks alive too, but it takes so long now that even if my tanks peel and aren’t taking damage, it takes a long time. It feels slow, clunky and out of place to heal someone so slow if they aren’t even taking damage.

I can enable DPS, but you can only enable someone so much when they miss as many shots as they hit.

All the things you enjoy about Mercy, always existed before where she is at now.

The things you enjoy don’t counter the my statements about Valkyrie or cover how even peeling for healing feels like it takes to long to get someone back in the fight, all they do is show that you like the core parts of Mercy that have always existed on her.

All of these benefits act as a bottleneck for her to manipulate her healing rate so that if she needs to save someone, she can’t do anything, she is stuck at one rate.

Then maybe that is a problem.

Depends on your rank.
At low ranks I can get away with really dumb rezzes that I shouldn’t because people are blind to certain things, but that isn’t all the time. My teams never coordinate with me, even if I ask for it so often I need to use my own player agency during the game but Mercy lacks abilities that gives her much power in her own right, much of her kit with certain adjustments, etc now cause her team to make use of her and not her bolstering her team.

No, I think her mobility is too good.
I think bunyhop needs a cooldown.
I think Valkyrie is a broken design that ruins her weaknesses.

Versatile and also about as strong as Lucio’s Amp it up when healing and only really about as strong as if Zen Discorded a target and a whole team focused them.
That doesn’t sound ult worthy at all. But she can’t have it any stronger because it removes the weaknesses, vulnerabilities and challenges that her base kit provides that her ultimate does not.

I love Mercy.
I have less hours and one less year of playtime probably.
I thought she was fun to play, and the rework ruined her for me.

Her ultimate is a player baby sitter and not something that lets a Mercy express skill in it’s usage, because any skill you try to express is undermined by the ultimate because you were doing that stuff on her base kit already and doing it in much harsher conditions.

I agree, but I think bunnyhop is too easily given because it is a great show of skill but you can also spam it off every GA, soooo.

E Rez is given every 30 seconds, it is powerful in dissuading pushes but much more useless in larger fights especially the lower down in rank you go because one person is often meaningless to change anything because they aren’t the best players.

Valkyrie has so many flaws.
Mass Rez wasn’t faultless either, but I much enjoyed the mine games and the tracking of the enemy and surviving felt more meaningful because I was rewarded with something of power in my own right. I was awarded with more than one team mate which is actually worth something in lower ranks.

I would rather save a life and keep momentum, then rez it and have that be another thing that bottle necks her power and have a team mate return that has now lost their place and understanding of the fight at hand because they had left that fight.

I can’t wait until Mercy 2.0 is dead, but more specifically Valk and E Rez.

Except it was better used not hiding. Stronger used not hiding.
People were abusing the SR system by hiding, it isn’t the same thing.

That could have been changed easily. But now her current GA is too easy.

And still lacks something because E Rez is still reactive and doesn’t add much to her gameplay.

Oh, look at that, she still is.

But she isn’t more complex, Valkyrie is just her base kit but easier. E Rez is still reactive, but is unearned.

I don’t think she is flat out bad, I think her design is poor and not fun because everything Valk can do, I was already doing without it.
Everything E Rez does, is less useful the lower in ranks you go.

Everything about Mercy now, about where she has fallen to is a place where if your team really sucks, Mercy doesn’t have any influence to do much more than maybe make them live a speck longer. If they suck, she won’t get damage boost numbers, if they suck they won’t come back from a rez and magically be useful, if they get healed they still don’t know how to take less damage and there is nothing the Mercy player can do to change that because her kit is stagnant and bottlenecked by ideas of consist and flat gameplay. She can’t compete with the other supports fun and impact levels because of this.

I like Mercy because I like to be able to fully commit to my support role and do less shooting, its what I like about them simple nature of the beams, that doesn’t mean where she is right now is good though.

And well, as you say:

You are in a high rank, people in high ranks know how to avoid more damage because of good game sense and positioning and know how to sit with their tanks.

You are in a high rank, people can aim and therefore damage boost is more useful.

You are in high ranks, people often die with their team and when people do take damage, they take pretty big hits and likely die and therefore the E Rez is more useful.

It’s almost as if having better players around makes Mercy’s kit more playable and bearable.

I don’t want Mercy reverted, I want her reworked because her kit is just underwhelming, boring, poorly designed, etc.

Your praises for her are praises for Mercy’s base kit and don’t deal with the actual complaints I gave for Mercy.
And that’s the tea :tea:

8 Likes

The thing is I can forget about her mobility that is on the cooldown of a spectator camera, I can forget about her beams that need minimal effort to hold a lock, and I can forget her ability to utilize both these things to administer a swift revive. I just think the whole passive regen thing is insult to injury.

Mercy can get swiftly to position for rez, but once it’s in process, she can’t do any of those things, until it’s finished or she is stunned out of it.

2 Likes

Well, she used to have a worse passive regen.
But at the end of the day, all supports are supposed to have a way to heal up. Some have more difficult ways then others, but they get to control it and such and well, if you keep doing damage to Mercy, her passive doesn’t work soooooo??

Zen and Mercy have it nearly the same, it is just that Zen gets his through shielding.