It is NOT OKAY to lock heroes behind grind or paywall

Already addressed this: It is NOT OKAY to lock heroes behind grind or paywall - #9 by a3gis-1200

No, I don’t. I was totally fine and supported the previous monetisation, which did do quite well for the series. And if you can’t be civil, please leave this thread.

You can’t just talk about competitive integrity being damaged and then say you’re not talking about competitive.

I know about the FAQ. I even made a thread about how you don’t need to unlock heroes to try them out.

Again, you can’t just talk about competitive integrity being damaged and then say you’re not going to be talking about competitive.

It’s a different topic. Competitive integrity of the game itself in both ranked and unranked formats. Versus a specific, different issue, pertaining to ranked (comp mode). Please make a different thread.

For that matter, the whole requirement to have all heroes unlocked in ranked isn’t even confirmed yet afaik. It’s just speculation…

A different thread about what? How heroes should be locked for Comp and need to be unlocked to be able to play Comp? I have. And they should be.

There is nothing wrong with it being locked in the BP. Grind it out, pay for it, whatever. It’s something to work towards and probably there as a gate for a reason.

And I really hope it’s the case.

Do you really think the Overwatch team wanted this? I doubt it. I’m sure this came from up top at Activision.

2 Likes

The whole point of this thread, is that I am not okay with grind or pay 2 win elements in Overwatch 2, particularly seeing as Overwatch 1 is being deleted.

It doesn’t work in a game based on mid match swaps and counters (and no hero customisations i.e. loadouts). It’s game breaking, as the lead devs have already admitted to long ago when explaining why heroes weren’t locked.

It’s also heartbreaking, given what Overwatch used to stand for as a series.

That’s my opinion.

1 Like

D4 has been announced to have a cash shop

1 Like

No one is forcing you to grind. Did you have an issue about the “grind” for the loot boxes in OW1? Probably not. They just handed them out as you leveled up and eventually wherever they stuck em. Did you buy any? Get a lot of stuff you didn’t want? A lot of people wanted specific skins and even asked them implement an entire shop for it.

As for this whole P2W stuff. This isn’t P2W and the heroes are locked in the start of a season for comp anyway. You’re not winning anything by using the hero early. Is someone who’s going to be absolute garbage with a new hero and losing everything going to be winning? What if someone is really good with a new hero?

Let’s say the enemy has a new hero and your team doesn’t. That person is good on that hero. Wouldn’t it be smart to take that person out first? You know, focus. I mean, if you’re losing to the other team because of one hero, that’s not a hero issue. That’s like saying, the enemy team has a really good Cassidy and we can’t kill him, at all.

Cosmetics != gameplay. Locking heroes behind pay/grind, is by definition P2W/G2W.

The new heroes are always locked if you don’t grind or pay. You said you read the faq. It’s not early access–it’s forever.

If you want examples/explanation of why hero locking is bad, read my previous posts.

Is it better to have the heroes locked or not?

It’s on the free track. Anyone can get it. A 1,000 year old hobo can download the game for free and get the new hero. Grind it out. Or pay for the convenience of having it early.

Okay and? If it’s gone one season, you’ll still be able to unlock it later too.

There are only two logical reasons it can be in the BP. One, for PvE. Two, for PvP, specifically Competitive.

We don’t know if you can use a new hero in QP or Unranked at all. You can use it everywhere else though before you unlock it.

I don’t see a reason why not to lock it other than the tired hero swapping mid match excuse.

We do know. Quick Play isn’t some “select other game mode” or “special event”. It’s a core mode comprising as much playtime as Comp. It will be locked.

I do not want a PvP game that is grind to win, or pay to win. And it is a shame that Overwatch is moving in that direction, particularly given the dynamics of Overwatch. As I have repeatedly mentioned at this point.

Okay, if it’s locked in QP, who cares? No one is winning anything in QP. It’s a “funsies” mode where people try out heroes they normally wouldn’t try anyway. Including new heroes.

Name a multiplayer pvp game where there is zero grind.

You really honestly do believe hero locking in a BP is P2W. I want you to craft us a scenario where it’s P2W.

Who cares about QP is a strawman. It’ll be locked in QP + Comp, and QP matters too.

Many multiplayer PvP shooters back in the day (and some currently) were based solely on skill: Quake, UT, CS, old COD. Modern titles like Valorant still feature this.

I’m not repeating myself why it’s P2W/G2W, it is by definition. It’s also bad, read the posts above.

Actually, I’m done replying to you @catgrease. You’re just talking in circles at this point. I think you’re just baiting me. Cheers

And how old ago was this? What year are we in now?

So there is zero grind in Valorant? Wait, can I buy Agents from the Shop directly? Huh, interesting.

Gave up this easily? Wonder if that’s how easily you give up in Comp.

For everyone else–I’ve said my bit at this point, although others are certainly welcome to chime in below (please keep it on topic and civil!)… but here’s some more threads for further reading for any so inclined:

2 Likes

You don’t think there are downsides to locking the heroes?

There is none.

I don’t want to grind for it or pay for it, give it to me now.

1 Like

I just think, isn’t it better for players if they get the heroes right away for free

They have never been open to all forever. The only ones who could play were those who pay for the game. Same concept except now you don’t have to pay you can get them other ways to. You have always had to pay for new hero’s, you had to buy the game.