Locking heroes hugely discourages returning players

We have gone nearly 3 years without a new hero. Now imagine 3 years of locked heroes. By the end of that time LOTS of returning players will be missing heroes. I have about half the Apex roster and to be honest it puts me off playing. I can’t be bothered grinding or paying for them so I don’t play it.

The argument is circular, I don’t play Apex because I don’t own the heroes but there is no point in me buying them because I don’t play Apex.

A returning OW player will be faced with a similar choice. Grind or buy. But why when you don’t play the game would you buy the heroes? It is far easier to not return and both save your money and time.

The second problem is after 3 years we will all be on teams with teammates who decide to grind and don’t own all the heroes and cannot swap. This makes a mockery of the game.

I love Overwatch and will grind out new heroes and probably buy Lucio skins etc but after a couple of years this is going to be an almighty mess isn’t it.

53 Likes

“B-but veterans will get Kiriko for free!”
Yeah, what about the future?

25 Likes

Idk why yall keep ignoring that literally every f2p game like this locks part of the roster for new players. Paladins, League, Warframe, Apex, Battleborne, SMITE, etc

Find me one that doesn’t and I’ll eat my words

5 Likes

I’ve been told Dota 2 doesnt.

15 Likes

TF2.

Technicalities.

14 Likes

I don’t see anyone who got bored of OW1 in 2018 being excited by OW2, with its 3 new heroes and every future hero being locked. There is literally nothing to entice those players. The only people coming to OW2 are the addicts (like most of us), and brand new OW players who have never played before. Is that enough? We’ll see.

But I don’t think people realize just how many people played OW1 and moved on. It’s a huge number, and those people are basically lost forever.

3 Likes

But these games suck colossal booty.

What exactly is your point?

In fact, I only got on board with Paladins because of the champion pack that they have since discontinued

15 Likes

Fortnite?

You know, leaving the biggest one off the list isn’t great…

11 Likes

oh my god shut up. there is not a single game on the market that doesnt have you unlock heroes if you wanted to get all the heroes in apex or valorant you could get them just by playing the game.
mockery of the game? you have quite literally only played lucio this comp season

Fortnite?

I mean, I had just written it above.

9 Likes

Imagine in 3 years many of your teammates missing 10 heroes in a hero shooter game. It isn’t comparable to Apex or Valorant whose heroes have similar base kits.

As for playing Lucio, I’m glad he isn’t locked behind a paywall as the future Lucio type hero will be.

4 Likes

those are called skins not sure why you think skins are the same thing as heroes

why do you care you only play one hero anyways, apex and val do the same thing and they are both beating overwatch so get a new argument. try to make it coherent

Um, did you write stuff wrong then?

there is not a single game on the market that doesnt have you unlock heroes

I think you messed up the negations.

there exists games which don't have you unlock heroes

is what you were trying to say. In which case I agree with you.

10 Likes

there are no heroes in fortnite… what are you talking about

Those games are not beating OW because they have paywalled heroes but because OW has released no content in 3 years so obviously it will fall behind newer titles. And I care because I don’t want the game to be in a mess in 3 years time.

I don’t just play Lucio, I’ve got well over a hundred hours on Bap and tons of hours on other heroes. I will unlock the heroes, I’m more concerned for the people who won’t because they won’t stick around.

Outlanders, Soldiers, Constructors and Ninjas

Yes, I know, not in battle royal. But they are there.

1 Like

What, why would there be three years of locked heroes? If they own OW1 and log in for some period of time even she is unlocked… what are you on about?

Pretty sure after some grace period characters will globally unlock, but it might be like 18-24 months.

I think you assume way too many people sitting on free passes. And people wont require all new heroes instantly to want to play, that is a logical fallacy when they will have 35 starting, and then a few more for some form of either paid or play unlock.

Find me one of those f2p games that doesnt have a way for you to individually customize each hero’s abilities and hero abilities are strong enough to make a big enough difference that “hard counters” are a thing.

indie games that are not hero shooters wow you really showed me
you have 0 clue what your own argument is