It is NOT OKAY to lock heroes behind grind or paywall

Lol… it looked like you were talking to yourself until I realized I muted that guy. I only have one person ignored on the forums and it’s him. Actual disingenuous attention seeking troll.

3 Likes

LOL! Thanks for confirming that, I appreciate it. :joy: I do try to respect all opinions, but I really can’t stand forum goblins just out to shut down conversations.

I’m really hoping the community (or some of the lead devs still left) pull a hail mary and get the P2W hero lock removed from the game at some point… I’ll still be around here and there, casually… but it is so sad to see the death of competitive integrity in a game I enjoyed so much for so long.

2 Likes

I can see why they’re doing it now although I also don’t agree. Simply due to the fact that the devs have always tried to force their characters to be so unique/perma viable (which was one of the biggest long-term core issues of the game).

It works in VAL and similar titles as there’s homogeneity between the characters and the characters within each role type.

At the very least the grind required to unlock these characters should be lowered.

2 Likes

That was the old leak, which was ironically less predatory. Guess they should have role played as Blizzard better. They just had that bias of “Blizzard is not THAT dumb.” Tragic.

2 Likes

All the people dismissing your concern are literally the reason why this game is dead.

If you love something enough you should be able to criticize when that something or someone makes the most awful choice.

I am convinced most shills here would let all of there friends and family suffer and die by numerous methods if it meant they didn’t have to confront anything or deal with conflict.

3 Likes

That was then, this is now. They said no hero locking for OW1, but this is OW2. thats the entire reason that they rebranded, so that they could just discard everything promised about 1.

1 Like

I would guess that 99% of the players agree with heroes being locked being Bad though. If you think its so bad you should quit OW2, hey more power to you. Many people here complain a lot about everything and will still play Day 1 and probably buy the BP.

But somehow believing OW2 will be P2W and predatory because they made Diablo Immortal is ok? I don’t think that follows chief, and that is your stance.

Do you have any inside info about why he left or if he got fired or you are just hardcore guessing out of pure hatred? Just curious.

I think this guy is legit. You may think theres still time to change opinion, thats for sure but I would not bet on it.

Good thing you won’t have to, as OW2 is F2P. :clown_face:

1 Like

You can still do that. Just pay for the premium battle pass and you get insta access to the new heroes.

I would have absolutely abandoned the game if it was on a monthly-payment model. I just can’t stand this kind of stuff at all.

Nothing its free, if something its free youre the product you blithering knobhead

My point is, sure I could pay in the cash shop after the fact (if they keep their promises there) and put myself on a level playing field. But by default, no one will be on a level playing field. I’m not interested in a game where I have a competitive advantage because I paid and someone else didn’t. It’s not about winning to me, it’s about skill-based PvP where everyone has the same shot at the beginning of the match.

Yes, I think most people are aware that the sole reason for OW2 being called 2 is to avoid any potential legal trouble.

It is still a disgrace that OW1 is being straight up deleted, and that OW2 will have P2W elements.

Heroes should 100% be unlocked in order to play Comp. Keep the casuals out of it. Casuals can be casual in a different game mode. The people who ground out the unlock or paid for the unlock have a far better reason to perform optimally in Comp than the dad with 8 kids with a 9 to 9 job.

I’m not talking about the comp mode requirement for heroes to be unlocked at all, that’s a separate topic. I’m talking about the pay/grindwall on the heroes themselves.

You’re talking about Comp and I’m talking about how I hope they do keep it in the BP to have as a requirement to unlock in order to play Comp. And if it is required to have that unlock hero as a Comp requirement, where is the problem?

Again, I am not. I am not just talking about competitive play.

I am talking about the grind/paywall in order to unlock new heroes for Quick Play, for Competitive Play, and presumably for Quick Play Classic as well (if they don’t can it altogether because who knows at this point). Heck, they might even lock the heroes for PvE events, because why not.

Read the FAQ on the website: " OVERWATCH 2 EXPLAINED: BATTLE PASS, SHOP, HERO UNLOCKS, AND MORE" September 15, 2022.

If I do not yet have a new hero, are there ways I can try them out?

There are many places where you can play using new heroes that they have not yet unlocked. For example, all heroes are playable automatically in the Practice Range, Custom Games, No Limits, Mystery Heroes, Mystery Deathmatch, and select other game modes, as well as some special event game modes.

If you would like to make a thread discussing the specific requirement to unlock all heroes to play competitive mode, feel free to do so. I won’t be talking about that here.

Would you say that even with hard counters gone that there will be counters in the game? YES

Would you say that by definition a counter means one party has a measurable advantage over another party? YES

Open and shut case Johnson, its pay2win. It’s been confirmed that the OP is correct.

1 Like

And the thing too, is for the foreseeable future the existing relatively “hard counters” will still be in the game.

Also, in case anyone hasn’t seen this thread yet, here’s an excellent case in point why so many of us are worried about hero locking in OW2: Kirkiko ALREADY shows the problem with hero locks

The best version of OW is embracing the counters. I’m all for getting rid of the hard counters, which in my personal opinion, there aren’t too many of them. There’s a huge list of soft counters and I think that’s healthy. If I think about the alternative of no counters…well, I can’t imagine it actually unless there’s only 1 hero.

1 Like

The hero being locked itself isn’t the problem for me. It’s the uncertainty of how that’s going to affect the competitive scene. Are they still going to allow players who doesn’t own Kiriko yet to enter ranked? That’s my major concern. That and the fact that if you “miss out” on unlocking Kiriko within the free battle pass time limit, you apparently have to wait for another one. The question is, how long do you have to wait for another Kiriko battle pass etc.

1 Like

Lol full price. If overwatch stuck to that video game pricing strategy… that’s 60 dollars every year for less frequent updates. So you owe them 300$ lol.

I love how this is “ruining the competitive integrity”. League of legends, arguably the most competitive game in the world… requires a grind or money to unlock new characters. You can literally get to gm one tricking any character in overwatch.

You want to pay 60$ for years of updates… you are spoiled and do not understand the economics of game development.