How are people still defending this?

Seriously don’t understand it. Even the Blizzard cheer squad will troll the forums to shout down dissent, but add “I don’t think heroes should be locked either.” If you don’t agree, that should be it. “I don’t agree with this change. Blizzard needs to change this.”

It’s absolutely crazy that “it’s only $10” or “You only have to grind for it” or “You’re getting it free!” are even considered to be valid responses. Exactly none of that matters. It goes against the entire spirit of Overwatch. Overwatch is supposed to be an even playing field. You all get the same tools and may the best team win.

Even the dev said locking heroes would be bad for the game in the past. They admit in articles now, that they’re only doing it for the money. They didn’t need to do it, but they are. That’s not okay.

And these braindead arguments about “poors” and people “wanting things for free” are absolute nonsense. You’re not a baller because you spent $10. I’ve put thousands in Blizzard’s pocket over the years. Others have put much more.

This is about the longevity of the game and the franchise going forward. It’s about new players coming and the old players wanting to return. Overwatch was hailed as an amazing game and won many awards because people fell in love with the characters, the world, the lore, and the unique mechanics. The people they’re trying to attract have short term memory loss. They’re flavor of the month gamers, hopping from whatever’s hot to the next hot thing. Overwatch was kept alive by us, playing 6 years, 3+ years with no content, even while mistreated, disrespected, and ignored. We are the ones that were going to be around when the next season of Fortnite or whatever comes around and those people leave.

Yeah, it might get nothing done to complain, but the only way to make change is to ask for it. And enough people asking can get bad decisions reevaluated. Even if it doesn’t have any affect, at least I can say I tried to save the game I’ve dedicated 6+ years of my life and a stupid amount of money to.

Feel free to “OMG Doomer” me. You’re a child and your commentary contributes nothing.

66 Likes

People don’t want to have a good game apparently.

35 Likes

I see many claiming it compromises the competitive integrity of the game to play/paywall a hero.

Well joke’s on them!!! This franchise hasn’t had any integrity for years!

13 Likes

I just want them to be better. Everyone should hope for that much.

5 Likes

We can all hope all we want to.

The reality is with Kotick and Goodman at their respective positions we’ll never even sniff competitive integrity.

2 Likes

Copium. It’s coming almost exclusively from people that somehow like OW2 gameplay.

7 Likes

I don’t love it, but at least it was, mostly, still overwatch. I bought the pack and refunded it when they confirmed locked heroes.

5 Likes

I don’t like payed heroes but also don’t think it’s as horrible and game breaking as people think.

4 Likes

In an ideal world it does affect somewhat. I flex all the time because I love playing most heroes in this game and I feel bad too. But the DVa/Mercy/Genji/ players who never swap when they are hard throwing comp wise do not really care. Anyway people have got 34/35 free heroes to choose from so that is a huge pool, I think it will pan out just fine if someone does have good intentions to swap to counters etc.

People who tend to complain will have another reason to complain, while others will enjoy the game. Or so I hope.

3 Likes

It’s 34/35 for 1 season… then 34/36… then someone who comes a year or two later, 34/42. And it doesn’t just affect him. He’s not alone on his team. He will be in your game, in my game, and in everyone else’s game. It’s not an equal playing field anymore.

3 Likes

It will take 3 years to reach 42 heroes. Dedicated players will end up unlocking some heroes by that time. Newer players have a base pool of 34 heroes to choose from and pick up those first. And they will get other paths to unlock ‘missed’ heroes later. It is not that bad.

It doesn’t matter if it’s 10 minutes to unlock. Overwatch was built on being an equal playing field. That is not an equal playing field.

19 Likes

Well yeah they have abandoned that idea and nothing you can do. No point complaining about it. Just saying it does not matter if there are multiple options you can choose from, and it is not that bad.

Unless you’re sitting in the board room and marketing meetings with them, how do you know there is nothing that can be done about it? There are many things players have gotten changed that they were told nothing could be done about. Did you skip the last paragraph?

6 Likes

People are just shortsighted and have grown complacent. Blizzard was smart to give Kiriko to everyone for free, but really it’s just putting off an issue that’ll emerge in the future.

21 Likes

Even worse, it actually worked in staving off some of the unrest. As if they can’t see past this pass and these few months. It’s unreal.

8 Likes

Basically any other hero brawler, hero shooter, MOBA, fighting game, out there (with the exception of like DOTA2) requires you to unlock new heroes using currency, and all of those games have functioning competitive modes, most of which involve structured team comps. It’s a pretty standard industry wide thing at this point and I think a lot of people have become really insulated in their OW bubble where they payed ~$40 6 years ago and got a frankly absurd amount of free content and value for it and now they just don’t want to deal with the reality that it’s either get OW on a functional F2P model (which necessitates having some sort of BIG incentive for F2P players to grind the pass, fill games, and allow the MMR to work, hence putting a character on it) or it’s get literally nothing at all, because the entire game is shut down.

So yeah it’s pretty annoying to see a bunch of people that weren’t even going to monetarily support the game anyway, make this gigantic pathetic crybaby scene about not getting their free content fast enough. Just this willingness to burn it all down because the realities of the game’s financial position don’t line up with their frankly absurd level of entitlement.

6 Likes

You obviously didn’t watch the official reveal.

All 3 heroes are instantly unlocked upon logging in if you own Overwatch 1.

They are only locked for brand new players and rightfully so.

3 Likes

There’s a difference between defending and being ok with something.

I ain’t a spoiled brat that cries when they take my plaything and change it

Another bite.
It’s almost formulaic at this point.
Carry on.