Hero Concept Showcase #2: Talon Tank

Alright, here is what my concept is so far! I would like to add some more before I’m done, like cosmetics and synergies, but I am not sure if I will have the time. Regardless, I hope you enjoy!

h ttps://docs.google.com/document/d/1tlIYy2mkUBkvePq3CpuF72-efPu8Yh2kfOh0ZhaVLlU/edit?usp=sharing

1 Like

I really like your design especially the goal of creating a new type of anchor tank. The inclusion of imagery at the end is very helpful and worthy of imitation. I do have one question though. How does the solar beam go through rooms with ceilings? I guess I could imagine the solar energy burning through it. Just wondered what your take is.

After reading all of your well written critiques, I had no doubt I would be reading an in depth and detailed story. Really enjoyed reading it, so well done!

Curious about why a 7’ 5" 663lb mech would want to hang upside down though.

Fusion Cutter works exactly like an ability I’ve had in mind, for a future as in development character that specializes in sabotage. I really like that.

Both abilities with that are electrical based i also quite enjoyed especially the defensive mechanic. Sorry can’t remember the names.

I kind of wondered why the Sonar, but I see that it is a great aid in lining up your ultimate. Regarding the ultimate I wonder about the strength of it, it could be really powerful, especially with no foreseeable counter play to it. I might be short-sighted myself about that though.

1 Like

No, no, that’s an excellent point about the ultimate. I’ve mentioned before, mechanics aren’t my strong point, so I appreciate any advice in that regard. Thank you for your remarks. Perhaps you only get one shot to line up the thing and go jetting across the battlefield. With a sufficiently narrow damage field, that might be a bit less overpowered.

DF is talon tank but they decided to make him DPS because of the hype.

For if anyone wants a Maximillien Tank iteration…
(I’ve tried to avoid numbers where I am unsure, I am not a game designer xD).

**Maximillien (Anchor Tank/Bruiser)**

HP: 300-400 (150-200 Health, 150-200 Shields)

With possibly the smallest hit-box of any tank, he shouldn’t have a huge health pool, but with how he will largely be implementing his abilities, he will need to be able to take some aggression.

Primary Fire: Railgun (3-5 shots per clip?)

Semi-automatic, each shot must be charged (a la Widowmaker/Hanzo).
Instantaneous line projectile, travels through enemies hit, but not shields.
EDIT: Damage per shot between 60-100? Reduced damage to subsequently damaged enemies as coin passes through them?

Maximillien’s love for money & power actualises itself in his choice of weaponry; a magnetic coil contained within his arm that allows him to propel gold coins from his fingertips at several times the speed of sound.
“Money is power. Don’t believe me?”

Alternate Fire: Magnetic Grasp

Hold alternate fire to create a magnetic field from Maximillien’s hand that catches incoming projectiles, condensing them into a projectile for Max to shoot back at them with primary fire.
(Think the Return to Sender Vigor from Bioshock Infinite.)

Must be at least big enough to fully protect Maximillien, could be made bigger so as to enable anchor-tanking. Does not project forward like Defence Matrix.
Resource-based a la Defence Matrix/Moira’s Healing.
Will only block certain projectiles/bullets etc.
Say around 3-4 seconds of available charge to catch projectiles, firing them back at enemies doesn’t consume any of the meter. Maybe have the option to fire the projectile linger a second after the magnetic shield has run out. Or make it have a cooldown & a set duration.

Everything falls under Maximillien’s influence, even those who would dare to harm him are destined to only hurt themselves.
“The house always wins.”

Ability 1 (E): Magnetic Jail

Soft-locks onto enemies at a range (a la Zen’s Discord Orb) in order to be triggered. 8-12 second CD?
Encases an enemy in a magnetic sphere for a short duration (max 3 secs), preventing them from influencing the fight or anyone from interacting with them. The “jailed” target can not be damaged or healed, & can not damage or heal, but they can move; while the orb that contains them itself acts as a barrier to both teams.
OR the “jailed” target is rooted in place but can perform all other actions as normal?

Whether in political strategy, gambling, or combat; Maximillien finds the most pleasure in denying his opponents their agency. To him it is far more enjoyable to watch someone struggle & drown than to simply push them under.
“It matters not that you have the winning hand, if I can prevent you from playing it.”

OR

Ability 1 (E): Magna-Zone

Places a spherical magnetic field that lasts for a sizeable duration (6-8 secs?), slowing enemies in the area (& giving allies a speed boost?).
Re-trigger effect to knock all enemies in area up & away from each other based on their relative position to the centre of the circular effect.
This will also reset the cooldown on the ability early (6-8 secs) OR the cooldown period begins as soon as the ability is placed (12-16 secs?).
(Think Lux’s Lucent Singularity from LOL.)

Maximillien’s web of influence stretches far & wide; those who oppose him find their progress impeded at every turn, almost as if some invisible force were acting against them.
“All in the pot. Time to show my hand.”

Ability 2 (Shift): Husk Clones

From Max’s chest bursts a small container that expands outward to unveil 5 mindless Omnics with the same appearance as Maximillien (Husks), that link arms to form a defensive wall similar to Mei’s (not as tall but around the same width) in a horizontal line only.
The initial opening of the container & release of Omnics deals a small amount of damage & knockback to nearby enemies.
Each Omnic body has its own (300-500HP?) health pool (like Mei’s pillars) & act as physical cover, not as a barrier shield. These Husks should likely only last for a certain amount of time before decaying. There could be gaps between Husks to allow allies to shoot through.

Pressing Shift again while the Husks are active will detonate them for AoE damage & knockback. (Possible)
Husks are drawn towards Magna-Zone or anyone affected with Magnetic Jail, dependant on which ability seems best suited. (If above used)

This ability could function in a different way so that the Husk line always stays in front of Maximillien at a set distance once summoned rather than leaving them in a set position, allowing him to reposition it, but limited to his own positioning & LOS.
The line could stay static on some kind of vector so that they always stay facing the same direction, but the line moves in relation to Max’s general position, rather than the direction he is looking.

EDIT: Crazy addition: Allies can walk behind a Husk & press Interact to gain their own personal bodyguard that travels in front of them at a short distance to act as cover. Maximillien can still detonate these bodyguard Husks.

Maximillien is only too aware of the limitations of his kind; it could even be said that he resents them. But that will not prevent him from exploiting those weaknesses for his own gain. Why get his own hands dirty when he has the ability to choose not to?
“And they say money is the root of all evil. No, consciousness ups the ante on that one.”

Passive: Patryoshka

For every Husk that is destroyed by an enemy (not personally detonated), Max regenerates a small amount of personal shield health.
(Likely not necessary but could be useful.)

“Gotta spend lives to make a living.”

Ultimate: Polarisation

Transformation Ultimate: 6 secs?
Creates a spherical magnetic field around Max that slows & damages enemies in the area (max 50HP/s), ending with a repulsive blast (single instance 50 damage) at the end of the transformation, knocking enemies away. (Max damage 350 HP).
Max could get a speed boost during this time, but unsure. EDIT: Duh, of course he does & he floats too. :smiley: I’m leaning in to the similarities to Transcendence.
However, unlike with Transcendence, Max can use his other abilities as normal.

Magnetic Jail (if chosen) gets drawn towards the field instantly.
Magna-Zone (if chosen) can be reactivated at this time to draw all enemies caught within it towards Maximillien instead of knocking them apart.
Husks caught within the field will circle Max at a distance, knocking enemies around, but detonate when the ultimate ends.
EDIT: Alternatively, Husks automatically detonate upon contact with enemies; possibly triggering Max’s passive (I say possibly due to this being a circumstance where they wouldn’t usually do this, but it could add further strength to the ultimate).

Maximillien keeps his friends close, but draws his enemies in closer & closer until they find their own plans blowing back up in their faces.
“Expedience brings polarity.”
“Reflect on your mistakes & accept the hand you are dealt.”

With a combination of ranged damage & multiple kinds of tanking abilities (damage mitigation, area denial, knockback, sustain) I feel his lack of mobility & potentially smaller health pool work as a nice trade-off, along with his smaller hit-box.

Thoughts? I am unsure which ‘E’ would be best to use with the character.

3 Likes

ok I will make something
I can’t draw well so it wont be very good

You don’t need to draw. You just need a concept for now. Leave art as one of the more final touches.

no dont worry the art is gonna be the best thing
im making it in photoshop with things i found on the internet

1 Like

Damn, there goes my magnet style character. Lol

1 Like

Aw xD don’t sweat, there’s still tons of ideas to play with using magnetism, like setting up two fields that attract or repulse each other for example.
Chuck yours in yo, maybe yours works better than mine :smiley:

1 Like

https://i.imgur.com/r9AHfdU.png

Garfielf: my talon tank
Primary: consume food
does 50 damage instantly. Auto lock. 50% chance of missing due to food being dropped.
E ability: fat
Makes everyone else go at 1 speed due to everyone else getting his fat
Shift ability: lazy
puts everyone to sleep
Ultimate: lasganyeet
600 damage to all heroes on the enemy team. Auto lock. 10% chance of missing due to lasagna being consumed.

1 Like

omg sobs it-it’s beautiful!

1 Like

2 Likes

I think I have a 101% chance of winning

1 Like

I agree 100% my friend.

Hivemind
“We are Hivemind”
(Name used from a Blizzard concept from Prometheus, which became Overwatch)

Age - N/A
Nationality - N/A
Occupation - Combat Omnic
Base - Siberia
Affiliation - Siberian Omnium

Overview

This character was build using Reinhardt as a template for an anchor tank but focuses on armor penetration and a potential anti-dive tank…tank. I wanted to give this tank a focus on helping shotgun characters such as Roadhog and Reaper while not fully benefiting Zarya like Reinhardt does. This tank also does not have a stun or knockback but it does have it’s own CC abilities that effect certain characters more then others. I also wanted to put more substance into the Omnium and make them more included in the current story but I wanted to leave it more vague to give hints to something upcoming and have it open for a lot of directions.

Story

Hivemind is build by and connected to the Omnium that is used to infiltrate the Talon organization in order to gather information and use the chaos caused by the group to greater position themselves towards an end goal.

The technology used by Hivemind is similar to
Zarya’s technology due to that technology being given to Katya Volskaya of Volskaya Industries. Hivemind is a prototype designed to be linked together to share information among all Omnium but take orders from a higher tiers of command thus it does not follow a singular pattern of behavior.

Personality

Hivemind has three distinct personalities that voice their opinion or commands which you can tell by changes in color of it’s several lighted indicators.

Red is more direct and aggressive, mostly dealing with combat situations (commands, attacks, pain indications).

Blue is more logical and detached and deals in voicelines with other omnics and Talon agents.

Yellow is more hateful and sly, dealing in passive aggressive tones towards humans and Overwatch members.

Each voice has a slightly different pitch. Often uses “we” to refer to itself.

Character Interactions

Zarya - Hates Hivemind and is shocked with the simularities in technology.

Sombra - Generally concerned and unnerved by Hivemind and has a feeling through their interactions that the Omnium is who discovered her. Hivemind is passive aggresive towards her which is different then other Talon members.

Bastion - Hivemind thinks Bastion is broken.

Doomfist - Hivemind is respectful to a degree, if only enough to keep himself in Talon.

Reaper - Not really concerned with him, Hivemind is often displeased with the waste Reaper produces.

Moira - Hivemind isn’treally concerned with her but is curious in her ability to reprogram humans.

Widowmaker - Hivemind considers her the closest a human can get to an Omnic which it repects.

Orisa - It hates Orisa as she stands for what the Omnium are fighting against.

Zenyatta - Pretty much as the opposite opinion as it does Widowmaker.

Genji - It considers him almost complete, has a more detached opinion about him.

Junkrat - Absolutely hates Hivemind, Hivemind considers Junk and Hog the worst parts of humanity.

Stats and Abilities

Role: Tank/Support Hybrid
Health 500 (400 HP + 100 Shields)
Slightly smaller then Reinhardt in size.

Weapon - Precision Cannon
Type - Charged Projectile
AoE Damage - 30/20/10
Direct Damage - 35/65/95
Proj. Speed 70/100/130
Rate of Fire - 1/1.5/2
Headshot - No
Special - Ignores Armor Damage Reduction

Has three levels of charge (which can be changed in the options from held down to button press). Each level increases the direct damage and speed of the projectile but reduces the DPS and AoE damage. AoE has a 2 meter range with no feathering.

You are able to charge the weapon while Hivemind’s barrier is up but can not fire through the barrier. The weapon ignores armor damage reduction on both AoE and Direct damage. Direct damage is calculated as AoE + Direct damage when hitting an enemy.

Ability - Magnetic Barrier (RMB)
A large shield that stops damage made from hexagonal energy plates that floats 1 meter in front of the character. Pressing the button will place the barrier, which follows the character, pressing once more removes the barrier. Once the barrier is in place the character can pivot but the shield will remain in the position that the player put it in. To reposition the shield the player must deactivate and reactivate the shield to it’s new position.

Health - 1300 shield
Healing - 250 per second after 2 seconds
Move.Speed - 3 meters per second
Cooldown - 6 seconds after being broken

Ability - Magnetic Field (E)
A single target buff around a player.

Buffed characters does not receive displacement effects, receives 10% less damage and adds Recycle resource.
Duration - 4 seconds
Cooldown - 12 seconds

Ability - Energy Surge (LShift)
Surges the Magnetic Barrier with electricity giving the barrier a stronger magnetic field.

Character does not receive displacement effects (knockback), receives 10% less damage (to the shield) and adds Recycle resource.
Duration - 3 seconds
Cooldown - 10 seconds

Passive Ability - Recycle
Character’s hit with a magnetic field increase a resource by 1 for every point of damage they take. After 75 points a consumableobject is ejected out that adds a buff that negates the effects of damage reduction from armor for 20 shots.

You can not stack this resource and you can not have more then two consumables out at one time.

Ultimate - Gravity Well (Q)
Player surrounds himself in an aura of 12m (no cap on height value) that removes the ability to gain height inside it. This aura moves with the character making it a mobile ultimate, best paired with displacement effects near ledges.

Anyone in the air when coming into contact with this ability is immediately pulled to the ground while in the area of effect. Anyone 5 meters above the ground that is pulled will take 20 damage once they land on the ground.

Any ally in this ability does not receive displacement effects and are able to move freely.

Duration - 10 seconds
Charge - 1% every 2.5 seconds
Charge Required - 1375

Counters and Countered

Hivemind works well with shotgun characters with a lower ammo count. Works well against against armored characters (specficially Brigitte) and knockback effects with his ultimate grounding Winston, D.Va, Genji, Pharah, Mercy, Doomfist, Wrecking Ball, Hanzo, Widowmaker, Junkrat and Lucio.

It is weak against shield breaker characters but more specifically Roadhog (which does not push away characters with his ultimate during Gravity Well) and Sombra (which pretty much loses most of it’s function from Hack/EMP). Enemy Lucio’s also gain a much lower casting time for his ultimate being unable to gain height.

3 Likes

I have an idea :

evil mech pilot who has cybergenetic enhanements, and his ultimate would be that he activates his mech´s autopilot while jumping out from his mech to bring havoc to his enemies
his mech would fight beside him for a period of time

His ultimate can be casted at anytime, and how high his ult charge is, the longer he can stay out of mech.
However he cannot gain ult charge while out of mech

2 Likes

One more day until submissions are closed! Step right up, step right up if you’ve got a Talon Tank to submit and for Sombra and Torbjörn to look at themselves!

Cheers!
~ PyroPanda

2 Likes

Sorry, just to let you know I’ve made a few edits to my Maximillien iteration above.
I am done now I swear xD.
This is a real cool idea yo, keep it up!

1 Like