Director’s Take: Addressing Unapproved Peripherals on Consoles

I am happy to hear that the team are taking action against these types of players, but I find it wrong to allow them to continue to remain on within QP.

Most players on QP just want to have fun playing the game with/out party members. By allowing these players to continue to thrive in non-comp servers it will hurt other players.

I think those players, who are known for using unapproved peripherals or cheating, should all be pulled into a separate server, where they can battle players like them, and the good-state players continue in their own servers.

1 Like

Minimizing sandbagging with wide queues and outright banning ‘unapproved peripherals’ in the span of a week is huge, directly addresses two big issues with console and the game as a whole.

If this screws over ‘unapproved peripheral’ users as intended, I’d love to see a Competitive LTM mixed queue with PC/MKB users and console players with aim assist in the same matches.

Thank you very much! Huge quality of life update for us console players :ok_hand:t5:

2 Likes

Genuine question. How does using a Xim help on PC? Wouldn’t that just introduce input lag and be objectively worse than just using the keyboard and mouse that’s already plugged into the PC?

I’ve never used or really looked into them much, so I genuinely don’t know

Crossplay Quickplay has allowed the use of aim assist on console since November 2022

Oh nice, goes to show how long it’s been since I played console crossplay haha. Wlll have to give it a go again.

Would still love a competitive version of it, but man, is that a big wish.

I don’t think Xim has any use on PC since PC doesn’t have aim assist

I think they were talking about Xim console users in a group with PC players, bringing them into QP games

2 Likes

So people in diamond and above are a bunch of cheaters? Like damn what’s the point of playing competitively knowing it’s really not competitive at all? It’s like the only way to reach diamond or above is if you cheat or beat the cheaters, well that’s fun…

“Based on our data from the past few seasons, usage of unapproved peripherals is highly apparent in high-ranked play, typically at Grand Master or Champion rank being the highest, while usage of unapproved peripherals between Bronze and Platinum ranks was very rare. For this reason, the actions we take will be primarily targeted to help ensure fair play at higher ranks.”

I’m going to agree with Mistikas. In Gold and below, they have ZERO game sense- but will miss every shot with a reaper up close… get frustrated and swap to a Widow and never miss. And some of these xim style peripherals have cheats built into the hardware now.

3 Likes

I think they mean console players using XIM who are in a crossplay group and end up in PC lobbies.

1 Like

Just curious, how come you don’t just play on pc if you prefer mouse and keyboard?

Thank you for this explaination. I hadn’t thought of that.

Is it even possible to XIM and be low ranked. I think that would be the most humiliating thing ever having to cheat and still sucking that bad at the game

1 Like

Well everytime Ximmers start a new smurf account, you don’t think they start out in diamond, do you? They have to climb first!

I knew this day would come! I’ve been waiting for so long. :sob:

1 Like

Exactly. Cheating also stars in gold rank, while some of them have zero sense, in platinum hacking is in full force. Ranked /unranked.

GOOD CALL blizz!! Now if you guys could NOT SKIP ADDING GYRO SUPPORT as well we’d be in great standing!

Exactly!
Please blizzard, introduce gyro aim to the playstation versions (and other platforms that might support it).

2 Likes

How can you enable mouse and keyboard whithout making them superior?
Forcing random changes of sens?
Making the M&K disable itself randomly?

Also since i never cared about consoles, pardon my ignorance, what is the problem with “unnaproved peripheral” if they are not M&K (since they want to enable M&K) ?
Is someone with a wheel or congo drums 10x stronger than a M&K ?

I think the reasoning here is that they can’t really know the user has stopped using Xim unless they can gather data from games. This is exclusively to new xim users, as the old strong offenders will get a permanent ban. I think it’s a far compromise and something that tends to become better and less noticeable as time passes and people either stop using Xim or get moved into their cheaters pool.

I think you misread that.

The worst offenders are getting a perma ban.

Anyone else gets a week ban from comp.

“Over the next few weeks, there will be permanent account bans against players who are the most severe abusers of unapproved peripherals.”

1 Like