Director’s Take: Addressing Unapproved Peripherals on Consoles

This is great news!

One suggestion: when you eventually do give console players the opportunity to play competitive with PC players, could you also give the opportunity to play PC pool comp with a console+controller? Yes, I know that’s just shooting oneself in the leg, but I’d like to play competitive with my PC buddies as well, not just quick play, as competitive tends to have a bit more group effort.

IMO you should allow XIM but just force XIM users and peripheral users to play in their own game type

This is a coverup for the swearing scandal. “Look we’re banning people who deserve to be banned, now you can’t complain when we ban people who don’t deserve to be banned”

This is great! XIM users always had an unfair advantage; glad to see they’re getting addressed. I’m still annoyed by my console days that I had to put up with so much of them.

1 Like

Great step in the right direction, but we NEED gyro motion controller aim support on Playstation and PC!

You have already made this for the Nintendo Switch, just port it over to the Playstation and PC versions of the game! The PS4 and PS5 controllers already have this ability, we just need the option to use it in Overwatch.

It’s an accessibility feature, not everyone can aim comfortably using just their finger, gyro motion aiming allows much easier and precise aiming options. Please Blizzard!

1 Like

It happens. Sometimes poor position can’t make up for Korean terminator aiming.

I remember bodying a pocketed Widowmaker back in Overwatch 1 because a butt diving Winston and Sigma throwing a shield up at them completely stunted them.

Granted this was in Diamond, but I’m sure it’s applicable to other ranks.

If Blizzard is going to allow players on Console to use Mouse and Keyboard to play against PC players that are using the same input will they ever allow PC players to use a Controller to play against Console or even just other players on PC using the same input? I know most OW players think we should all jump ship to MNK on PC but as someone who prefers controller for many reasons that are irrelevant to this post I find it odd that Overwatch seems to not support Controller on PC in almost anyway outside of throwing us in with Mouse and Keyboard players without aim assist. If players like me and my brother who only play controller are not welcome to play Overwatch on PC with our Controllers id atleast like to know so I dont have to keep up with the updates anymore because we both have been waiting for Blizzard to fix this oversight. Im not asking for anything to change and am fine moving on from OW but Id just like Blizzard to clarify if this is ever going to change or not. We both have been waiting years at this point to see if this will ever change.

2 Likes

The XIM can be used to use a different controller than a console supports. Say your ps4 controller broke, you could use a xbox controller on your ps4 through the xim. Not everyone is trying to get an advantage with the XIM or other adapters.

1 Like

True, sometimes people use adapters for simple accessibility support that Overwatch just doesn’t have for whatever reason. Gyro motion controls being one example.

However due to the nature of gyro aiming it can get flagged as mouse since it uses the same movement style as a mouse.

Exactly! With me personally it is a little bit different. I always wanted to try plqying with mouse and keyboard. But i dont have a Pc. And i only play overwatch. So just for one game i cant spend a ton of money gor a Pc just to play OW. This would be such a nice option for me to try Mouse and keyboard and still play with controller if i want to.

2 Likes

Ximmers are in in lower ranks too. But still a huge W from you guys to make the game more enjoyable.
Also the future possibility to try MnK on console legitimately in Pc lobbies is just great. I dont have the money for a good pc so this would be a nice option.

2 Likes

They need to add 103* FOV to make it fair!

And they need to add option to “allow frame tearing” or disable frame synchronisation, which can add input lag on console that you feel more with a mouse and keyboard!

:smirk_cat: :point_up_2:

thank you very much, I haven’t played overwatch for a year, only because of this problem if and when this solution proves effective, I will return to play and get the highest rank. I already have some children’s Twitch channels in mind to check to see if this solution will prove effective. thanks so much again

1 Like

I will ask again untill i have an answer:

Where is workshop updates & bug fixes?

Alec dawson said (TL;DR): “We will continue updating workshop and keep it simple to everyone use” in some community livestreams. So you this “updating” will start when? only in 2077?

The most simple feature i request. Interact with map navmesh, and wakable list of vectors between two positions in the map so we can finally get a decent pathfinding for scripted bots. Implementing a pathfinding in workshop is very expensive. Server crash due massive script executon. And we don’t have multi dimentional array supports yet neither local variables inside rules/subroutines, make more difficult to achieve this.

And let us save Standard AI slots in share code too. So we can place them and share with code (with option to prevent people remove the bots, so i can use an Standard AI to be a helper bot to find the path for dummy bots).

3 Likes

Perma ban Ximmers, cool.

Lump m&k folks in m&k lobbies, cool.

What about us that just have a keyboard plugged in to type in chat with?

I would love to see workshop updates!

:sob: :heart:

1 Like

Speak for yourself. I don’t care if people are playing on consoles with 60/120fps, with the same control peripherals as me, and in the same lobbies as me. It’s not like shoddy connections are anywhere close to an exclusive console thing.

The main issue will be PC has higher FOV, so it would be inherently uneven…

:thinking:

Correction: It has a higher FOV option.

Sure itd be cool if console users got a FOV slider. Its not like PC users arent already in lobbies with people with lower FOV though.

Its also worth noting that convential wisdom in a lot of games like CS is that lower FOV is better since targets are larger.

1 Like

many many years too late, but I guess better late than never.