Director’s Take: Addressing Unapproved Peripherals on Consoles

There is a good chance it will drive hardcore Ximmers to smurf accounts. I expect instead of these peripherals being relatively settled in the higher ranks, mid-high players will see more of them as Ximmers start over.

Do people still need phone numbers to create new accounts?

1 Like

No phone number required for a new account as of me testing like 4 weeks ago

They have always been free on console even in OW1

3 Likes

Wow, and to think I almost bought some coins for the Talon Reinhardt skin. I get banned in quickplay for having a disease I need to deal with sporadically meanwhile cheaters won’t even get a slap on the wrist. Now quickplay solo queue is going to be filled with trash four stacks and cheaters. Thanks for making a terrible experience even worse. You finally had one good patch last season. Makes me regret spending all the coins I saved up on this battle pass. You somehow managed to reduce the already pointless reward to playing this game.

1 Like

Good point.

Unfortunately, that just exasperates the issue.

Also apparently Xim has already found a workaround with COD and other games that found a way to ban them.

Which means once they find a workaround Blizz will have to spend resources again.

It will always be a cat and mouse game.

The only way that may make it harder is if it was a console built in detection.

well first it’ll be a bunch of posts about reporting a cheater just to get banned for cheating themselves

Maaaaaaybe there are more people playing QP on average than Comp, so they didn’t want to flush an excessive amount out players from their roster at once? OR maaaaybe Comp bans will act as a warning, and they’ll move on to QP later.

IMHO, they’ll have to hit everything with the ban. Otherwise a certain portion of those banned players will just move to QP/Arcade, and cheat as normal, with no fear of getting in caught.

It’s still weird because it is essentially creating a 60 day window where it will get you permanently banned. Doing before hand has no effect, and doing next season gets you split off. It is inconsistent which doesn’t seem right, especially when the penalty is a permanent ban.

1 Like

Brilliant steps. But what really needs to happen is adding an indicator / information to the competitive career profile to indicate the player has been detected as using unauthorised periperals. Many of us compete in scrims, tourneys and leagues on console and are generally required to provide screenshots of our career profiles and have the profile open to the public. Some sort of indicator on the profile would massively help the console scene.

Absolutely glorious, i’m going to have great fun messaging back all the cocky ximmers and boosted Mercy’s i’ve had conversations with over the last few months.

My heart bleeds for those poor e-girls who can’t hide behind walls watching a ximmer carry them anymore. It’s been a long time coming, enjoy bronze!

Also devices specifically for accessibility tend to report to the console that they are these devices.

2 Likes

Hopefully the data they’ve collected means a new account that is ximming is picked up quickly. It will only take 2 or 3 quick bans before the ximmer gives up getting new accounts.

I’m hopeful this works but i’m not getting my hopes up too much.

It’s great news, not the getting arthritis part lol. As the gaming population ages to be able to continue enjoying their hobby, while also allowing those who couldn’t partake now can.

Even newer games having disable friendly features like in god of war, last of us and spiderman etc is a good step.

Still no mantis blades yet though choom.

Sony addressing Chonus was a big first step.

Still not a fan of Microsoft hurting legitimate fight sticks when they started to clapping down on non authorised controllers. But that’s a whole different can of worms.

It’s why back during OW1 on console there was a massive smurfing problem that pc players didn’t understand. At least on that grand of scale.

That tune changed quickly though when OW2 became free to play for them lol.

2 Likes

Which means account A gets banned. No problem make a new account since it’s on console. Rinse and repeat till the servers are shut down.

1 Like

sounds great.
while we are talking about prefered input methods, any words on gyro aim for ps4/ps5? the switch version has it, why not the ps versions?

1 Like

Why not just remove controller support and go full crossplay?

I’m not a console player, but this is a huge win. Get rekt, stupid cheaters.

Will this affect players on console who use keyboards too type???
Playstation allows players to connect a keyboard and use it to type instead of using the controller and inputing letters one by one.

No, it will not. You can continue to type using a regular USB keyboard as normal. Same to Xbox users.

Thank you so much ive been worried about this all day

Because consoles are designed for controllers and I would wager a vast majority of console players use one. It seems counterproductive to basically say “you can’t use the main thing that your console is based around to game”.