Crossplay update soft region locked everyone

Same.

I am from UK, I’m Agoraphobic, very anti-social and since 2004 (when I got my own PC for the first time) I’ve been using American servers to play games. That being said as I’m on my Pc majority of the day, my timezones much better fit with US, SEA & Oceania players (though, playing with someone from Oceania or SEA gives me too high of a ping so I’m unable to play with my SEA or Oceania friends unless we do a PvE mode or playing a game that doesn’t require PvP

My parents are both Americans, I do not get on with most British people as my sense of humour is so much different to them, and also the way i talk cause i am hard of hearing has them mocking me often.

also not only this, but I experienced many hurtful situations on EUR servers such as being a female, voice and then I’ve witnessed more racism and homophobia on those servers than I ever have on NA servers. (this is one of the main reasons I use NA servers, I feel more confident to use the mic and feel more relaxed)

This video from a famous streamer even discusses some of the problems with EUR servers which I have experienced dozens of times myself. (it’s an old video from a few years ago, but it’s still valid today!)

2 Likes

I do not want to gamble whether I get an NA server or an EU server when I play with NA friends, I prefer to flex on NA servers and usually to dps on EU servers where I have lower ping, I can’t tell what I’m going to get in advance now, it’s a pure gamble, even when playing with multiple friends from NA they might occasionally get forced into EU with me, or vice versa if an NA friend joins my group in EU, it’s so bad that for a lack of better solution I now mostly play with EU friends (my region) since I don’t want to trouble my friends in NA, it’s genuinely ridiculous.
And all of this is without mentioning that even before this “global region” mess, my friends and I in EU (solo, groups and even full groups), none of which get lower ping to ME servers, occasionally get ME servers, 150+ ping while playing in our region, this “global region” raises concern for even worse situations where we might get Asia or OCE servers.

Let us choose datacenters when we queue, a checklist for the datacenters next to role selection.

6 Likes

Revert this change. Nobody asked for it. Nobody wants it. It’s destroying the game.

In my 5 years of playing overwatch there has never been a point where I felt the game was in such a state that I could not continue playing it. With this update I have grown to despise it. To be forced onto a server I have never played on and to play with players I cannot communicate with is outrageous. It is a kick in the face to loyal players who have supported and spent money on the game and OWL over the years.

If no improvements are made to the situation I will quit the game, and I will not be buying OW2.

7 Likes

OK let me get one more thing straight as a pole, MIDDLE EAST PLAYERS (most of them) DONT SPEAK ENGLISH, please consider the regions and their preferred language as well, EU is a diverse continent not everyone speaks English but they work it out, no shade to the middle east, if we had an Indian server we would speak Hindi as well but imagine a lad from Uk getting placed with Middle east players mans gonna get hot from all the comps

4 Likes

So, I’ve been playing with a new friend from OCE and usually prior to this update I would get put on OCE servers when playing on NA servers if I played with someone from NZ or Australia, now it puts us on EUR servers, so my friend will have 300 ping, how is this a fair match up and why doesn’t it put us on NA servers instead where I would usually play anyway instead of giving me lowest possible ping while forcing him to have the highest possible ping

Really annoying, please allow us to pick data centers, please. I don’t want to ruin someone else’s experience by giving them high ping because they had to queue into a server that not even I want to be in.

Not sure if he even had a good time playing with me due to that ping and I feel terrible for him having to play with me on that high of a ping anyway… especially when he is a tank/dps player and I am support, makes me feel even worse because IK that u can get away a little easier picking a support like Mercy etc on higher ping, but my friend won’t be able to play tank or DPS well on 300 ping…

Thread from another player, who also wants to connect back to the region they used to play on

5 Likes

Another thread I found about Region lock, I thought I’d put it here!

And another one <3!

If anyone sees a thread from someone being region locked please try to post it here too if possible, I want to make sure as many of us as possible can be seen, thanks :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I sincerly hope blizzard see sense and revert the global region lock. It’s making the game incredibly un fun and messing with people.

8 Likes

Yep, this ruined the game for me. I have logged out and only played a few times since for 2-3 matches before I give up.

Been playing since launch… and… you killed it. I live elsewhere in the world and game just died since I have nothing but hackers, bots and non-communicative people anymore. Bye…

RIP Overwatch… was limping along before, but you done just put a stake in it Blizz…

8 Likes

Does anyone know if there have been anymore updates about this?? I’m still stuck to asian servers, and like I know there’s a fair share of toxics on na servers where I usually play, but people on the asian servers instant leave every game if they lose one team fight. And the ones that can speak some English are toxic af… This is ruining the game for me :frowning:

5 Likes

Just adding my voice to the debate.

I really don’t like this change. I moved from the UK to Japan for work, and am now very used to playing on servers with high ping when I play with friends back home. The problem is when they now play with me, it’s putting us into Asian servers, so not only do they now have high ping, I’m so used to playing with it, in some ways a standard ping is just as difficult for me.

Please give us the choice back. It’s making the game very unfun to play, not to mention creating language barriers that weren’t there before.

5 Likes

They are literally forcing us to play like this, First, my endorsement goes from 3 to 1 from quitting lots of matches (I can’t play with these new accounts) now I am getting penalties because of it. Most of the time either they quit in the middle or run everywhere while having no clue what to do or as you said speaking their own language and refuses to even listen. I am so done with this now.

2 Likes

You WILL play +300ms ping games to accommodate for queue times of players on the other side of the globe and you WILL learn to enjoy it!
-sincerely, the OW dev team

1 Like

Another to add to the long list of players who want this changed.

2 Likes

but the average of all players is gold-plat so you ruin it for most people just to accommodate a few ???

what are you talking about, this affects mostly Bronze, Master and GM players

Ye, which is 30% of all players maybe? So they ruined the game for all other 70% …
Makes no sense, just give us the option to choose and people with queue issue can choose to fix their own problems

It is much MUCH much less than 30% and I say THOSE are the players affected. If you queue for a game at ether end of the SR spectrum you are likely to be put on random 300ping servers to make up for (other players) queue times. If you play in Gold or Plat it should be unlikely you are put outside your region

Sorry but it’s less likely for someone in an average rank to be put onto an off-region server unless you’re playing at a really weird time, lets say 3-4am

Because the average ranks have a lot of players, where as Bronze, master and GM have a lot less players so queue times can be much longer for them depending on how many people are playing then you have the problems of smaller regions such as OCE and SEA, where the queue times can be insanely long for those 3 ranks, therefore this new region thing puts them somewhere random

My friend is from SEA and once we did a duo support queue together and it took a very long time, and this was prior to this region update, and we got put into a match on SEA still but we had all different ranks on the team.

Here is some matchmaking during my placements prior to 2-2-2 SEA servers.

I think i was 3.7k Moira here just doing my placements, sadly I accidentally cropped my friend out and the other player when I took this ages ago, anyway I think me and my friend were the highest people in the lobby, and this match took us a long time to queue for… with the 22nd patch we would have been piled onto another server after x amount of time with little consideration for the ping lol, and we’d be forced to play heroes like Mercy or we’d lose.

On this match it had platinum, diamond and masters… I think most people would rather take this match than unwillingly be put on a server where they have 300 ping, think this match above took 30 mins to queue for.

IDK what your trying to say, 500-1000 SR difference has been normal for years now… especially when grouping off hours.

And maybe don’t reply to me, you had it wrong last time too and failed to admit / ignored that when someone explained it to you after (about the VPN).
so maybe have your discussions with other people cause to me you still make no sense.