Question about region lock to the players

First of all, I’m also against the region lock, and I think the best compromise would be to let people pick between specific servers or the global option — similar to how you can pick a single role or go flex, for example.

My question to the players is: how many of you chose a server different from your own for the social factors? And what were they?

For me, as I wrote in a previous topic about this, I’m from Europe but played almost exclusively in NA servers because the majority of players I was matched with spoke English, they had a better attitude/cultural approach to female players, and overall share a sense of humor most European countries aren’t familiar with.

I never cared about wanting to optimize my matches by getting least possible ping. If that was such a concern, would well known European Top 500 streamers be playing on NA servers too?

I’m hoping we can provide a different perspective to why this change has such an impact on a team-based game. It’s not all about mechanics and game awareness — I’d argue that language barriers and how well you get along with your teammates has an even greater impact on how much you enjoy the game.

Ping is an excuse people use for playing poorly. Sure in very low TTK games ping matters. But in Overwatch, your ping isn’t that important.

ml7 played on NA with 150+ ping and stayed top 500. I play on 130 ping and hardly notice the difference because I’ve gotten used to it.

1 Like

I agree. ml7 is a great example.

From what the EU community says it is a huge language barrier. Many come to American servers for English. Otherwise it’s a hodge podge and you will likely not have voice coms which leaves you at a HUGE disadvantage.