Blizzard response to Seagull?

Something I noticed about his vid was hoe much time he spent on the issue of the what he felt was a new problem: hard counters. He referred to the issue that he doesn’t like how the game has become about paper-rocks-scissors. How the game has become about having to switch to succeed. He then comments about how he doesn’t understand how lower rank players are able to play the game.

The issue I think he has is that he has for the past season, experienced the game all the lower ranks have been playing for multiple seasons.

Go through forum posts made today, a year ago, on the old forums. You will find plenty of posts from different people that discuss such things as:

This game is about switching to counter
That there are certain hard counters in the game.
I have seen people literally post that this game is about paper-rocks-scissors.

I think what has happened is pros and the upper tiers are getting a taste of part of what the majority community has been expericing for a long time now. This game has had hard counters and has required switching to succeed.

He talks about having difficult match ups but there should always be a way to counter-play.
He used Pharah (Ken of his pro-mains) vs hit scans.

But ever discusses something like Pharah vs Junkrat for which there is virtually nothing a Junkrat can do but try to run away from her sight lines and contribute even less to his team.

Such hard counters have always existed and this is something new to him.

Sorry, Mr. Seagull, I think you need to get with the program and not expect that every hero have some form of counter play vs ever other hero. Such a thing will never occur in this game.

It’s not how it was ever designed.

1 Like

I have, on multiple occasions, used a concussion mine to put myself within range of a phara and killed them.

Rock-paper-scissors should not be a thing in a FPS. Counter play should always be an option, because it’s much more fun and interesting to outplay your opponent. It’s why I hate Mei so much. Most classes don’t have a counterplay option against her except to stay out of her range, which is much greater than most short and medium range characters. She may not be competitive in high end due to her relatively low dps, but that doesn’t mean she’s not the cheapest crap to exist in a FPS in decades.

i think overwatch need a regular rank reset ,when overwatch was brand new it was ok but now ,if you screwed your rank years ago ,there is no comming back if you stay in solo q regardless of your skill due to the team dependent nature of the game.the only way to come back being buying a new account and leaving all of what you earned behind (skins,cosmetics,lootboxes and levels) and the fact the ult and counters make you powerless and there is no vote player down in game, all of this contribute to the toxicity.

Blizzard responded with
Emergency PTR changes that are set for next monday
Both are directed ONLY to

1. Doomfist
  2. Brigette
1 Like

And it’s SO beautiful T.T

2 Likes

I would argue that has never been a true FPS. And while I too have used a Conc Mine on Pharah, it is a rare opportunity to land that full damage hit on her. While she is in range, and down in health sufficiently, for that to really count as counter play.

ah yes, seagull, former pro player for 3 years and one of the most well-known projectile flex players has no knowledge about the game overwatch. you probably think seagull plays genji too

2 Likes

Being pro doesn’t automatically make him right. Though I DO agree that the game needs to be balanced for the pro / GM level and trickle down from there; to balance the game around say High Gold where the majority of players are would in the long run ruin the game.

They didn’t do this because of Seagull they literay mentioned maybe well change doomfist ult 1 week ago on surefor stream

You can’t balance the game around pros and hope the balance trickles down.

If you balance around the majority of the playerbase, the game isn’t balance for pros because they are able to exploit characters in ways that most others can’t. This hurts the competitive scene because it’s the same meta over and over again. It gets boring and people stop watching.

On the other hand, if you balance the game around pros, you risk having an unbalance game for 99% of players. Isn’t that more important? If people don’t find the game balanced and fun, they aren’t going to watch the competitive scene anyway because they’re going to lose interest in the game. The people that find the game unenjoyable to play but enjoyable to watch competitively are outliers. The game will die so fast. A game doesn’t need a competitive scene to be considered alive, although it helps stay relevant far into the future.

The best course of action would be to try and balance it for both… which is what Blizzard is trying to do right now and has been doing since the game released. Of course this isn’t easy to do, which is why we got a character like Brigitte.

I completely agree with everything he said.

3 massive issues in Overwatch currently:

1. Too much MOBA. It should be 70% fps 30% MOBA. It’s currently the other way around and also the reason why it’s so unbalanced.

2. Ultimates are too powerful.

3. No way of knowing how many elims your teammates have.

1 Like

I disagree with all of it.
It is supposed to be like this. It is supposed to be built on unique powers and ults.

Otherwise there’s always TF2 or Fortnite.

I bought OW as a team based FPS. Key phrase there being First Person Shooter. This was also coming from a background of playing games like Unreal, Quake, TF2, CS.

Think of how many shields, stuns, ultimates and melee characters are in those games. Overwatch is basically WoW PvP that requires aim.

Balance issues aside, this game’s direction was great from beta up until about season 6-8. Now it’s a hard pass.

Why is that? If we wanted a MOBA we wouldn’t be playing Overwatch.

Overwatch is supposed to be an fps with some MOBA features. Right now it’s clearly way too much MOBA.

So you never bothered to read up on the game, watch the trailers or watch the gameplay before buying the game?

Here you go :roll_eyes:

Actually insane how fast they adressed the issues brought up by the bird. Maybe they are becoming faster with their changes over time which is a good thing.

honestly, the game could use devs less responding to streamers whims and more toward the community issues.

1 Like

As long as they don’t put mass rez back.

Agreed. Tanks were happy with her no longer being able to stun through barriers. It’s frustrating trying to protect my team when I can’t even hold up my shield. But no that’s not enough :roll_eyes: She was supposed to counter dive, not tanks. Now she gets to… watch Tracer recall and come back at full health? Fun.