✅ Balance changes without patches

If devs can do simple changes to the game, without even restarting the game servers.

Then they could do simple Balance Changes without needing to patch the game.

The PTR would only be needed for bug testing and big new features.

“Number tweaking” balancing could be done without the PTR.

Additionally, because it’s technically not a patch, it doesn’t need to go through the slow certification process for consoles.

Consoles could be updated just as quickly as PC.

3 Likes

Balance changes are not minor changes .

1 Like

It still should be though, because even just a small number change makes a big difference.

Almost all the changes in tomorrow’s balance patch are very simple “number changes”, that requires zero bug testing.

I.e. Winston barrier HP increased by 100

1 Like

it’s possible to use for balance changes,

but considering what the feature actually is, It’s probably meant to address more urgent problems, like game breaking bugs. not so much balance issues, which can usually be left to “simmer” for a while.

Balance change patches are usually much bigger .on the other hand fixes are much smaller issues and can be applied without bringing the whole thing down.

If you look at almost any “this is why Overwatch is dying and how to fix it” video, pretty much it all boils down to “Balance patches are way too slow.”

If they could turn a patch cycle from 30 days, down to 30 minutes.

I’d say that’s a worthwhile use of resources.

2 Likes

I think you’re overestimating how difficult it is to type:

Winston::domeBarrier_health = 700

I think this is a misinformed opinion. The game has been out for 3+ years. Balance patches should be slowing down as the game is about as balanced as it can be.

Note: Not all heroes need to be viable in upper ranks.

I think that’s the idea actually, but I think they’re still figuring it out.

Mass Effect 3 had hotfix balance and albeit it presented problems because of cheaters had so much access, it also meant balance changes were adjusted weekly.

Considering it took them a good year to deal with GOATs, and ultimately they didn’t do anything to solve it, and just banned it.
Then they made a meta that’s arguably more boring.

I don’t think they are as good as they can get with balancing.

If they would just balance it the way I want to… How to Perfectly Balance the Game

but anyway, you’re shifting topics. The community complaints and the hot fixes you’re talking about pertain to ladder. No one was playing GOATs in ladder (hardly)

The balance will be wonky so soon after 222. I think balance in Overwatch is better than the forums would have you believe.

I think the games balance could be better.
I also think the game should be biased towards playstyles that are generally more fun.
✅ [Game Design] Fixes before BlizCon

Heroes spend literally years either being must picks or dumpster fire fuel. The power disparity between good heroes and bad heroes is insane.

Balance patches can slow down once the game is in a passable state. I’m not even expecting good balancing anymore. Just passable.

I’ve actually recently formed a new opinion. If a hero has a difficultly level of 1 star, that hero should rarely, if ever be seen in OWL.

it’s because the most difficult to play heroes should always triumph over the least difficult to play.

I mean after all, what is the reward for playing a high skill hero?

I’d say there’s s few more variables at play, but that’s one of them.

Here’s a design document by League of Legends main balance guy on the subject.

Pretty sure its to address aimbotting and so on as they can make changes on the low down to break the apps and catch cheaters.

The answer to your question is here, in the esports pro David Sirlin’s free online book “Playing to Win”: _http://www.sirlin.net/ptw/

tl;dr: There isn’t. Use what’s effective in order to win, or you’re a scrub.

Huh, that would be even better.

Although if the way to win is boring, then it’s a good time for a rule change.

1 Like