A wild genji buff thread appeared!

Im sure im the last person people are expecting to be asking for genji buffs, however, i wanted to steer in the topic towards him for a bit,

First, id like to start with some stats, heres a screenshot ive made to give some numbers

As you can see from the stats, we can see a few things:

• his usage peaks in platinum, basically in the average player

• it drops off in bronze, raises as you go up until plat, in which it immediattly starts dropping in diamond and master (3.86% - 3.49% respectively) and plummets in GM

Now i know what you are gonna say

“but magy, OVerbuff is unreliable!”

okay, First i want to say, we literally have no other stat source for ladder, so im using what i can here to try to get a unbias view on things…BUT

in this case, i took also a look at OWL stats,

And would you look at that, his pickrate is chilling at a 0.7%

now i hear you probably thinking “well, some heroes can have a low pickrate especially in OWL, it just means its not really their meta since OWL players mostly just play whathever is meta” and that would be valid…BUT

if we look at the highest picked heroes…Who is up there…? Winston and DVA for tanks, Tracer sombra and echo for DPS, ana and lucio for Support, a dive comp, and genji has a sub 1% pickrate during DIVE the literal thing he is designed for! this isnt normal! just like when bastion was bad during bunker was alarming, this also is alarming

Now that i tried to convince you of the fact that he is bad, let me explain WHY he is bad:

1: His damage is mediocre

Not only he has a measly 86dps on his primary (slightly higher on his alt fire, dont really have the exact number, probably arround 90-96dps) But its also a proyectile, which tend to be harder to use, and its also a triple burst type of attack, and, and this part might be a tad subjective, but triple burst type attacks are one of the hardest type to control,

So not only does this character have a terrible damage, but also has an unreliable primary fire and you could also say the same for his secondary

which as we know, a flanker is suposed to go in, burst someone down, and get out

2: His kit is plain bad

Compare him to the other 3 flankers that have higher usage rate, Not only do they by default have better damage, but they also have better escape abilities:

• Sombra has translocator, which is basically a free escape as long as you dont use it too late

• Echo has her flight, she can dash and fly away if necesary

• Tracer not only has multiple blinks, but also has recall, which similar to sombra can serve as a free escape if used right

So, what does genji have?

On E, he has deflect, this is mostly a defensive ability, in fact id probably consider it a tanking ability, but this isnt really what a flanker needs, a flanker needs a damage, and a way to get out reliably,

So the only way for genji to retreat reliably is either with deflect, or with his passive abilities,

the problem is that, unlike the other flankers, not only is genjis only way to get in closehis dash, but its also his only way to get out,

• Tracer can engage with her blinks

• Sombra can engage with stealth

• Echo doesnt really need to engage since she can just pelt you from decently far away, but since she can fly she can easily engage without getting into too much danger since she can glide for almost enough to immediatly be able to fly away

Genji has to engage with dash, you need to kill to get your dash back, then get out,

otherwise you can just, walk your way there or try to wallclimb up somewhere and get in close and try to save your dash, but then you are relying on your mediocre damage output to do the carry inestead of that instant 50 dash

So the combo burst genji generally requires him to dash in, do a full 180 into a full crit headshot and finish off with melee,

but not only is this…not easy to pull off at all, but you can simply just pick tracer and just…aim well and you will get a lot more damage, sombra is generally more of a utility pick but she can still get damage easier by just aiming, and echo can just burst you down with Sticky bombs + focusing beam

Onto deflect, its… a decent ability i guess, its pretty Meh…frankly, i dont think its a bad ability but it could be improved upon

So for my suggestion…i dont personally think its as easy as just straight up buffing him because his ultimate is a fairly strong ability that cant easily be stopped in the average set of play (hence why he is probably doing decent in plat) so buffing him can have an effect that may cause his pickrate in the medium-tier ranks to raise by a lot and him becoming a bit too strong while not getting too much of an effect on the higher ones where he is simply a bad pick compared to other flankers like now…

So frankly im going to throw in a rework idea ive been testing for a while on workshop and i kind of like how it feels,

the idea is simply to try to take him a different direction

general

• Health modified from 200 HP to 100 HP 100 Shields

Dragonblade

• Ult charge required increased by 10%
  • Damage per swing reduced from 120 to 90
  • Dragonblade duration increased to 8s

Primary fire

• Damage per shuriken increased from 28 to 30

Secondary fire

• Damage per shuriken increased from 28 to 30

New Passive: Blademaster

Genjis attacks with his Sword (Dash & Dragonblade) apply the “Bleeding” Debuff

Deflect

• Cooldown reduced from 8 seconds to 4 seconds
  • Deflect duration reduced from 2 seconds to 1 second

New Effect: Bleeding

• Targets who have the “bleeding” Effect take 12 damage per second for 4 seconds
  • Targets who have the “bleeding” effect have 25% reduced healing recieved

its a huge change im aware, but the idea was to turn genji into a character more designed as an answer to comps that have alot of healing going arround, using blademaster to pressure the enemy team with the DoT and the reduced healing, its important to consider that the DoT isnt designed to kill people, as i know a lot of people will say “12 dps can easily be out healed” which it can, but its prupose its so act as a flat reduction to healing, combined with the antiheal, this also renders genji a better pick against the likes of moira since a dash should be able to cancel moiras healing almost in its entirety, and brigs selfheal completly, alongside lucios passive self heal, preventing mercy and zenyattas regeneration, and baptistes shift

The deflect change is designed to make deflect less of a mini tanking ability and more effective as a parrying tool, rendering it less useful against overall sustained damage but better at baiting cooldowns

The shields are simply trying to feed into his playstyle of a harasser, allowing him retreat and heal

lastly, to compensate for all these new changes, his ult takes a hit in direct damage, while gaining it in the bleeding effect, The duration increase is to allow genji to take more liberty to continue harassing the enemy team with slashes, using its cleave capability to pressure the enemy team, the ult charge increase is compensation for the new damage both in his primary and on his shift,

for his primary, simply a small attack buff to adress atleast his mediocre DPS a little bit,

anyways thats it for my idea

17 Likes

Ew. Swap to a better character.

10 Likes

i dont really main genji myself so lol

im just trying to improve the character

7 Likes

Genji is perfectly fine where he is. We get enough genji q to potg’s already without making them gained more frequently.

22 Likes

nope, your suggestion simply makes there no use to risk and use his ult anymore,

might aswell use normal kit and do more damage than 90 dps ult, bleeding effect is bad only works on solo target

deflect on 4 sec cd will be annoying and OP even it only last 1 sec, this is a huge buff that only reduce his skill floor, we dont need another moira with this kinda buff

u cant nerf dragon blade for buffing his normal kit

since blade without nano are mediocre ult, if his kit are better there no point of using it unless combo with grav for cleave damage

he pretty decent now, he only need buff to his left click, recovery rate from 0.95 to 0.8 sec, just like his last buff

and maybe increase deflect hitbox a bit and triple jump return

4 Likes

As far as Deflect goes, I’m really interested in the idea of making it require more skill, but allowing it be used more frequently as a reward.

Your idea is pretty close to that, but I’m thinking it lasts even less, and how often it can be used depends entirely on whether a Deflect was successful or not.

If it you time it right, cooldown is quick, if you don’t, lasts a bit longer.

Beyond that, I think increasing his projectile speed and rof a bit to make it more consistent would help, maybe even lowering the damage as compensation for a huge bump in reliability.

1 Like

I feel you really butchered his character and spreaded genji around a wider area but made his effectiveness very thin.

its definetly a huge change, but i frankly cant think any other way to make the hero better other than this,

he would still be overshadowed by the likes of the other flankers even if you only buff his primary and other parts of his kit,

Increasing the RoF could work, but from what ive heared 30damage per shuriken hits a damage breakpoint im not very sure about, so i went for that inestead

the stats surely dont show that he is. in fact his stats show that he is A pretty Meh character all arround, seems boosted by popularity if you ask me and by having a powerful ult

Potgs arent really something that really matters in balancing, to be honest,

4 Likes

It matters when he’s getting potg with an ultimate that can wipe out a lot of players in one go. Especially partnered with nano.

1 Like

and thats why his ultimate is getting nerfed by a bunch…

thats a lot of really hard nerfs to blade for a really minor buff to his kit not gonna lie to you dude

1 Like

is it really that minor?

i tested this idea in workshop, sure it was against bots but i felt like i was doing a ton of damage against the enemy

go on discord and ask masters+ players and try and organize a scrim

yes they’re minor buffs

… I once suggested as a counter argument that moving genji to tank would be best for him.

I don’t think it’s that extreme to help him.

But I would literally rather move him to tank and keep his kit than change him.

I don’t like reworks.

Also
…

Eewwwwww stop talking about bleeeed

why would i play with master+ players?

id get completly pwned by them, it wouldnt help me test anything

i mean you would need to change him if you want to make him into a tank…

Yeah, just nerf Nano-Blade so that Genji can have an Idenity outside of “farm for ult so that our Ana has a good nano target, so you can get ignored in favor of Rein again.”

A shield hp change.
Or up his hp
I would never suggest any hero lose an aspect of their kit or be structured away from their job

We have dive tanks.

Genji does this fine. He just isn’t the only one anymore.

have you seen the numbers i said? he legit is not beeing played in dive

high hp does not equal tank, there is much more needed for that than what i did,

what i did is literally minor compared to what you would have to do to make him a tank

2 Likes

Like mercy.

That comes with tweaks and balance. Or maybe he’s just been outgrown

You said so yourself… Deflect is more tanking than flanking. Zarya has one tanking ability. So does hog. :woman_shrugging:t5: Only genjinwould be changed with hp and balance tweaks

You suggested an entirely new consideration of supports and tank threat via bleeds.

I don’t suggest a tank genji, I’m just saying less is changed than a wholesale rework

yes i said its more of a tanking ability more than anything, but that doesnt mean that its in a proper state to be a Proper tanking ability like zarya and hog do, but lets be honest, both of those are off tanks, and hog is more of abruiser than anything

plus then you get into hitboxes, genjis hitbox would be too small to be a tank, and he wouldnt really create any space, etc
like, it would legit be a lot more complicated

and mercy got buffed

if he got out grown that means that his kit literally doesnt work anymore compared to other flankers and he needs to be reworked

1 Like