Reviving Heroes of the Storm

I think the state of this game is wasting the high value of its assets. In visuals and sounds Blizzard is second to none. The characters are not only more developed and less flatly stereotypical, they carry an affinity from other popular (even historic) games. A variety of refreshing settings has been supplied. The creation of these things is arguably the most difficult, resource and talent intensive area there is in gaming. Difficult to duplicate, hence highly valuable even if underappreciated.

The failure of this game is no foregone conclusion in my opinion. The gaming market is weak; there is no innovation taking gaming to another level. There’s a level of conservatism and apparent lack of creative push indicating people are in it for the money. There’s also nothing intrinsic to Heroes of the Storm that makes it a dead end. It is what is made of it. The game itself, despite appearing as a MOBA, is a third person view character-based fighting game of fundamental rather than passing relevance. League of Legends seems to be kicking as strong as ever, by the way.

Two critical concerns were obvious from the beginning - literal accessibility and quality of gameplay.

Accessibility

When you arrive over five years late to a scene and your idea of accessibility is setting the floor on ease of play it is quite presumptuous to erect an imposing pay and grind wall around familiar, pared down gameplay content - heroes. It was as if Blizzard was banking on its name and that of its heroes to command tangible loyalty. This proved complacent.

A gamer wants gameplay access, often competitive in the sense of not being at a disadvantage. The kids might kick and scream if it doesn’t come for free, but others understand that naturally there is an exchange. A reasonable version of this exchange comes in the form of Coin Purses. These are like Treasure Chests, except as opposed to milking a dwindling playerbase dry their purpose is to foster an expanding playerbase. What is this perverted nonsensical scheme, you ask? Well, for starters, it doesn’t come out of “the industry literature”. Instead, it was conceived as an answer to the question, “Is there something that could make more sense for players and developers alike?”

It involves a new currency - silver. When I suggested this years ago gems and shards didn’t exist. Nonetheless I was told by one of the resident booger eaters that another currency would be too complex (never mind that I then suggested a streamlined version). Now we know better, let’s move on. Silver is a currency you use to hire heroes as mercenaries - for a set price in silver you unlock a hero for a month. But that’s just a World of Warcraft subscription! No, it isn’t. Coin Purses contain both silver and gold. Let’s look at specifics:

Common Coin Purse - $1.99

2,000 gold
3,000 silver

Rare Coin Purse - $4.99

5,000 gold
10,000 silver

Epic Coin Purse - $9.99

10,000 gold
25,000 silver

Legendary Coin Purse - $14.99

15,000 gold
50,000 silver

Gold is linear to price, silver isn’t. The point isn’t to entice players to spend more money at one time. The point is to open up the game at a reasonable price while not pricing targeted uses at negligible rates. Everyone is given roughly their money’s worth in hero ownership so it’s a pretty fair deal.

Every single hero will be available to hire for 1,000 silver. All silver is lost (I like stolen for “flavor”) seven days after purchase. So these coin purses both give access to gameplay at a level deemed appropriate by the player and give ownership at a relatively normal price (10k gold used to correspond to $10 I believe). It’s a two-in-one deal akin to paying off a car. Monetary success for the game depends on how good the car is - whether the player finds it worth his or her while to keep driving it or to at least hang around the dealership. Not to mention the game’s content is already paid for from Blizzard’s perspective and it’s a matter of running the game, then there’s the thought of what the actual costs may be in general… but I digress. Gems are a better deal for ownership so they retain a purpose - reeling in the value conscious whales or the other fish that want to forage on land occasionally. The cosmetic content is not available in gold so there’s that. Blizzard hired some very smart people to outfit a sinking ship as opposed to try and repair it. The industry literature teaches you cheap tricks apparently.

The benefits for players are critical. Whereas before players would be stuck with restricted hero pools, having to resort to bundles containing heroes they don’t want, relying on the vagaries of the free rotation, or spending dubious amounts and grinding like this is their second job or another school period they can now tailor what they have access to based on their preferences while extracting ownership. Players are immediately able to jump into exploration or competitive play without frustration and teasing. They can also adjust to metas. The consequence should be engagement, which is a good thing any way you look at it.

Gameplay

This is where the ever-diminishing group of HotS diehards starts singing along to the Black Eyed Peas classic Let’s Get “It Started”. The more the game recedes into oblivion the more it’s the paragon of “complexity doesn’t equal depth” and “easy to learn, difficult to master”. Some people just don’t learn, all you can be is patient.

Let me share an anecdote, a story. When this game came out I was watching a small streamer who played Dota 2 at an at best average level. When Heroes of the Storm was brought to her attention she remarked, “o, the baby MOBA”. She tried it, didn’t stick.

That’s right, Blizzard’s iconic characters sucked into a cosmic storm and given “the baby MOBA” treatment on repeat. That must be Blizzard’s version of purgatory at best or hell at worst. Former CEO Mike Morhaime’s innocuous enough interpretation [h.ttps://venturebeat.com/2016/02/08/how-blizzard-ceo-mike-morhaime-views-the-last-25-years-of-games-and-the-next-25/] of “easy to learn, difficult to master”,

It’s part of our values – easy to learn, difficult to master. Having something that is easy to learn doesn’t mean that it doesn’t have depth. It can still have depth. You just don’t have to throw all the depth at the player when they first sit down.

has turned into easy to learn because that’s mostly what there is to it, but difficult to master because you won’t sit down and write a 150-page single-spaced essay expounding all the insignificant or common sense permutations in the game. In other words, this mantra has turned into an excuse for making relatively easy and simple mediocre games whose complexity, ironically, doesn’t translate to depth. That’s what Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm are - games that you know have a low ceiling which you can’t quite articulate because there is considerable complexity in them that doesn’t come through. The games that made Blizzard - Starcraft, Warcraft, World of Warcraft, Diablo - were not casual games trying to pass themselves off as deep. I don’t understand what happened to this company. They have clearly lost their edge; soft, shy, and full of excuses.

Tangent aside, onto the question of how to approach raising the baby MOBA into a viable person. Unsurprisingly most suggestions are either about directly copying other MOBAs or are so trifling you may start questioning your faith in humanity. Let’s take a step back. What sets HotS apart is its aspirational focus on player vs player fighting. It was called a team brawler I believe rather than a MOBA. You skipped the tedium of last hitting creeps for 10 minutes, farming, walking around with God knows how many tens of minutes more to follow closing out won games, and quickly went for the more exciting action. Whereas other MOBAs are more so developmental games where you level up your character, accumulate an in-game currency, and obtain empowering items HotS was meant to be an action game with the progression following the fighting.

So in my opinion there is a demarcation that makes HotS different, and accentuating what makes HotS different is an obvious approach to making the game distinct and competitive. If the focus on fighting (which the game induces by weakening the role of creeps, emphasizing objectives that converge heroes and teams, providing fast moving mounts, etc.) is what makes the game attractive from a gameplay perspective to begin with then it’s common sense to focus on developing this very aspect. At this point, however, you have to be mindful of constraints and aim for bang for the buck ideas.

What I’m proposing is a ‘Glove of Thanos’[/Infinity Gauntlet for you nerds] concept. Four activated powers sharing a short cooldown of say 8 seconds while having individual cooldowns of 60 seconds. A toggle button such as spacebar or one of the side mouse buttons would access the powers at QWER. If activating an ultimate by mistake is a concern assigning this “thing” (Nexus stone, Nexus device, Nexus artifact, Nexus brain chip [no joke], etc.) to R and moving ultimate abilities to T would make a lot of sense. Alternatively the powers could go to the numbers buttons whereas talents go to a toggle. MMO mice may also be useful. The options aren’t an issue.

[Mysterious Mark - Heroes realize that since entering the Nexus they have been branded. A complex symbol of some kind has been seared into them. Its numerous sections are imbued with different powers.]

Players would choose four powers out of a full set. In-game before the gates open they should be able to make adjustments as well as during drafts. I’ve come up with this set of powers:

• Basic ability cast times, intervals, and delays of any sort are reduced by 25%. Basic ability travel times are reduced by 25% [missile speed increased]. Basic ability summons move 25% faster. Lasts 10 seconds.

The intent is to quicken the application of basic ability effects, including something like the growth rate of Malfurion’s Entangling Roots. Animation may also be involved in for instance Zagara’s Infested Drop speed, which I do not see covered in the listed properties (rare).

• Effect over time aspects of basic abilities last 25% longer. Time progress toward the first extra tick of tickrate abilities is rounded up. Lasts 10 seconds, applies at the time of casting.

This refers to any effects that apply for a duration, including stuns.

• Basic ability ranges are increased by 25% for 10 seconds.

This includes both casting ranges and the length of skillshots.

• Basic ability area of effects are 25% larger. Lasts 10 seconds, applies at the time of casting.

There is sense in increasing the durations of these first few powers beyond 10 seconds.

• Basic ability cooldowns are cleared after 3 seconds.
  • Basic abilities cast within the next 4 seconds have at maximum 4-second cooldowns for their next use.
  • Basic ability cooldowns recharge 30% faster for 10 seconds.
  • Dash in a direction [range 10, missile speed 18]. Can be cancelled with movement command.

Somewhat longer and faster than ETC’s Powerslide. This was intended to replace a teleport but there is an interesting version of a teleport too.

• Teleport [range 6]. After 1 second you can teleport back to the initial spot. If you haven’t done so, after 6 seconds you are teleported back to the initial spot. [Alternatively you could be unable to activate the return teleportation and would just teleport back after 6 seconds.]
  • Movement speed is increased by 20% for 5 seconds.
  • Gain unstoppable for 1 second.
  • Gain [full] invisibility for 2 seconds not revealed by movement.

Could be made more interesting by damage taken not revealing the hero either.

• Gain a 500-point shield for 5 seconds. It scales per level [standard 4%].

Intended to be more valuable for lower HP heroes.

• Regenerate 50% of full health over 20 seconds.

• Regain 50% of full health and 50% of full mana after 6 seconds [at once]. Channeled, not cancelled by damage [considering not cancellable by the player], 20 second cooldown if interrupted.

• 20% of damage dealt is returned as health. Lasts 6 seconds.

This includes ultimate abilities. Enhancing healing seems like a good idea.

• All healing and regeneration experienced is increased by 20% for 8 seconds.

All inclusive, from allies and self effects. Was considering limiting it to from allies.

• Link yourself to an ally for 6 seconds, suffering 50% of the damage they receive instead of them.

The ranges on this one are key. At the moment I’m thinking it’s most appropriate to have a big casting range and not have the link be dependent on distance subsequently.

• Accumulate inactive armor at a rate of 1 per damage sustained equivalent to 1% of your maximum health. Apply accumulated armor at any point after 1 second up to 6 seconds when the accumulated armor is automatically applied. Armor is capped at 50 and lasts for 6 seconds.
  • Healing performed on other players is increased by 25% for 8 seconds.

This one also includes ultimate abilities.

• Basic ability damage is increased by 20% for 8 seconds.
  • Basic attack damage is increased by 20% for 8 seconds.
  • Basic attack speed is increased by 20% for 8 seconds.
  • The range of ranged basic attacks is increased by 20% for 8 seconds. Melee heroes gain charge [range 3] on their basic attacks for 6 seconds.

For melee heroes this is a stickiness power, 25% shorter than the range of Li-Ming’s teleport and 20% longer than Artanis’ Twin Blades.

• Can basic attack while moving for 6 seconds.

I don’t know if this would require considerable animation work but it’s significant.

Although this is a first draft it wasn’t thoughtlessly assembled. Traits need to be included along with basic abilities in a number of these. I believe there is a considerable degree of choice which powers to select. Decision-making and execution mid-game should improve dynamism. Counters should be inherent. The point is to challenge players more, hopefully increasing the margin for players to outwit and outperform their opponents. The presence of these powers from the beginning of games and unrestricted access is in line with the desire to focus on the core fighting experience rather than on a concept of development or progression. Only new players should have restrictions as they are learning the game, and not for long.

I initially wanted to thank you for making a coherent analysis, but:

This idea was already scrapped 7 years ago. It was tested, and players generally didn’t like it.

These upgrades potentially allow certain heroes to become unkillable or kill multiple heroes single handedly with low risk.

The core philosophy of HotS is that it’s a “team brawler” requiring team effort rather than empowering one single hero to become stronger than the enemy team combined (which is possible in some other Mobas through item upgrades).

17 Likes

Those were passive buffs. I’d appreciate being pointed to the details for a critique. They were too straightforward, not much actual choice from what I recall either. Here you’re talking about active, short term effects. If you think there is no counterplay or that team effort is reduced as opposed to expanded I would recommend that you think what you’re claiming through. The way these powers work is quite in line with HotS’ core team brawler philosophy. In fact, you can read these very same words in the opening post as the premise for the suggestion.

to little to late they had a chance at greatness and squandered it

2 Likes

Their stupid decisions lead to the games downfall, bandaid fixes and broken promises

5 Likes

Perhaps you missed the point entirely. The game was designed around making money and Lootboxes. The game came second. It is a cash grab riding on the Blizz name and characters.

Gems are a 1:100 real currency.
Gold is earned by playing the game.
Shards are used to buy what you want without spending money.
We get free rotations to try out new heroes, but there is also try mode.

All systems are designed to keep people playing the game for the shinies. You can earn a hero a month if you grind the quests every single day. This is by design, to of course, keep people playing.

You present a generic and boring system where (I assume) you rent heroes with Silver and buy them with Gold, which are now the Gems of the game. While shards were omitted. Shards were the only way players can get what they want without spending real money, and have an small attempt at not dealing with frustrating lootboxes. This again, is all by design by the way.

While you seem to understand the differences of why one would play HOTS and other MOBAs, but continue to argue the game needs to be more complex from the start.

Talents exists to reduce the meta. They are also designed to have a sense of growth within a match where you are given chances to adapt to opponents decisions aside from countering with a hero. Front loading more things to do before a match is tedious, time consuming, and stressful.

I’d be happy to have no talents, but then this would mean certain heroes will be much more powerful creating a hard meta. Meta’s shouldn’t exist. If they do, it is because the game is not balanced.

This whole thing reminds me of Marvel Vs. Capcom 2. You choose 3 fighters and 1 assist type out of 3 per fighter before you start. This takes so much time. Thing is in MVC2 there aren’t hard counters, so you choose your best fighters. While in HOTS, you choose counters over your best fighters.

Players continue to focus on individual skills in a team match. There are so many awesome things to do as a team. Why is that? Because this is the type of players this game attracts. The ones that want to be the carry. They all come from other mobas.

3 Likes

It wasn’t I who missed the point entirely. If your idea of boring is having access to any 10 heroes for $5 a month, any 25 heroes for $10 a month, or any 50 heroes for $15 a month all the while having this money pay for ownership then you have completely lost the plot and do not belong in constructive conversations on improving the game’s future. What is boring are “shinies” people easily see through meant to take money out of their pockets. It is also failure, as the data probably indicates. It’s funny how numbskull “designers” like you and these people think of excuses for your inability to accomplish something real. You really think swamping people with dilutive content like banners, sprays, announcers, voice lines, emojis, and portraits to put inside loot boxes for people to gamble on and introducing “shiny” new currencies to complement the cash grab is what EXCITING means? People like you and the Blizzard worms who introduced this stuff as the game was gasping for life should be taken behind the woodshed, not listened to. Inert tricksters.

Is it any surprise that people like this are the remaining few playing this game?

It’s like talking to a random sentence generator.

I would actualy avoid creating even more currencies, and instead rely on something that is easier.

One major complaint of people is that they have to unlock all heroes by gold, but what if all heroes become playable as long as you have a boost? This gives people a reason to obtain a boost. Since as long as you have one, you can play all heroes.

Sure, after the boost ends, you might have to purchase heroes again with gold. And during the boost, you might spend gold on obtaining the hero, while not getting any benefits from that.

But this can be resolved by simply disabling some of the cosmetic parts on the hero (for example you cannot use the mounts, sprays, announcers, or upgrade the ring of your hero, skins can involve a gem purchase and should therefor be usable).

But in the end, i dont think its even going to be enough to revive this game. Sometimes games, even if good, just never end up popular. Just like sometimes good songs on the radio are never played again, just because people want autotune trash.

I would not want to be in charge of balancing that.

5 Likes

Fortunately there are people who do want to be game developers and who are game developers. Imagine that.

It is confirmed you missed the point entirely. Now that you wanted to be disrespectful, I’ll spell it out for you.

No one is going to pay a monthly fee, on a F2P game filled to the brim with lootboxes and a cash shop.

Like what? You don’t even have an argument. Did you not understand what was said?

Yes, it may sound like that to someone who doesn’t understand the basic concepts of the game or game design in general.

Cut back on the fluff. Typing more words that don’t follow any sort of thread doesn’t make you smarter. Cherry-pick all you like. Your ideas are terrible and are late to the party.

11 Likes

No thanks. I don’t want even more currencies in the game.

Also none of these ideas would revive the game. If you really want to revive the game, then come up with better ideas instead of trying to make the game a generic MOBA.

7 Likes

I also imagine that some things are not being put into the game because it would make balancing every hero a nightmare.

I don’t imagine that they would ever do this. Plus, it would create some stupid interactions. I’d always pick cd reduction on Anubarak, and get stun lock for days, and always have my escape ready. Same with Uther.

Also, there little point to you being so hostile in a discussion.

You want to revive the game? Just advertise it.

7 Likes

Not a fan of your ideas, and dunno why everyone thinks their weird changes for the sake of changes or ways HotS is more similar to existing popular MOBAs would be the “key to victory”…

The game is as fun on the casual lvl as a MOBA can get.
Even if the game would catter to the real tryhards of the genre, real tryhards won’t change ship because their experience, progression and unlocks (their grind) is already in a game.

So I dunno how much this would help, but imo, HotS needs out-Bnet adversity. If I wouldn’t have played Blizz games, I wouldn’t know about HotS. Especially now. While I would know about LoL (not Dota, which is the super tryhard if I got it right) even without my friends playing it because it had cool ads I genuinely liked even tho I yet never tried LoL.
WoW, HS and OW is advertised a lot.

Also, some easier accessability would be great, but in a way that it cannot be abused for Smurfing.

6 Likes

Free to play games are bait-and-switch games, arguably the most predatory types of games. That’s why people made them and why they have proven lucrative. You come to an inviting game that doesn’t charge you anything, eventually you see how much you’re missing out on, for which you are then charged through the nose. Making a statement such as this one,

is indicative of not only misunderstanding the business model but having a fundamental misunderstanding of loot boxes and this “cash shop”. In other words, you’re a sheep. Sheep are good from a business perspective, but catering your business entirely to sheep makes you as pathetic as them.

As I pointed, this is the same argument I heard years ago before the existence of gems and shards. You’ll cope. After all, no one is making you buy anything.

Good level to operate on.

Go ahead and pull something from the void factoring in practical constraints. What you also don’t appreciate is that there are fundamental elements to these games that are transcended by lazy non-thinkers like you least of all. Go ahead and propose a serious idea.

What I imagine are counterplays. You are well within your right to always pick cooldown reduction on Anubarak and Uther. In fact, you can pick two cooldown reduction powers.

Genius. Send your best pigeon with the urgent message. That cave you’ve lived in for the past five years has led you to a great insight into what ails the game.

Once more I point out that this is the sort of person still playing this game. If I were in Blizzard’s shoes I would be depressed and embarrassed.

And a proportional failure.

The word you’re looking for is advertisement. Adversity is what your brain is experiencing.

The conundrum of our times.

I think this game is halthier with my kind over yours.
If all you can do is acting like an angry child over disagreement, forums are not for you imo.

This “failure” is still the 3rd MOBA out there.

More adhominem.
Oh my bad that I used another, similar in text word at my second languague while you still got my point. At least I know how humans should behave.

6 Likes

Based on what, exactly?

I’m not a jerk. Based on that for starters.

1 Like

So Blizzard is an anti-jerk charity?

Online communities don’t like to be around toxic ppl in general.

2 Likes