Changing Abusive Chat

Among the mistakes the HotS development team made that jeopardized the future of the game and contributed to its current state, others being touched upon here,

was their handling of the Abusive Chat category. In essence what happened was they gave in to their weakest instincts. People were deemed too fragile and delicate to handle even normal conversations so chatting was to be sanitized. Unless you had something nice to write you probably shouldn’t be writing anything at the risk of punishment. I have no doubt the spineless fools who believe this is the way things should be still exist but the cost of this folly has borne out.

There are two ways in which the Abusive Chat report category has been clearly misused to the detriment of the broader playerbase.

1. As knowledge spread that the system is automated and there is no punishment for false reporting knowledge also spread that anyone could punish anyone else for any reason by filing an Abusive Chat report, even a blank one.
  2. Anything that annoys you or frustrates you that someone writes is arbitrarily deemed to be sufficient reason for punishing the player by filing an Abusive Chat report.

After Abusive Chat reports accumulated and a penalty was automatically applied the only recourse was appealing to a Game Master. A Game Master would then look even for a single instance of conceivable transgression to uphold the suspension, ignoring all the instances in which false reporting may have occurred.

Things got so bad at one point I recall reading that the driving principle for punishment was community policing whereby the community’s will by virtue of accumulated reports was the law. This is on a defund the police, trust the community level of stupid. Naturally it ended up hurting the community.

At this point we all know that years of mismanagement have brought this game to a point where we have no idea who is left working on or supervising it after this Blizzard Team 1 has been disbanded, although some of the few of you remaining are still stupid enough to think things were great and to blame Activision or anything and everything that has nothing to do with anything for what happened. The significance of this decay is that perhaps only the most basic measure can be taken to mitigate the deleterious effect of Abusive Chat.

At minimum, in the absence of anything else, the Abusive Chat penalty needs to be reverted to silencing players as opposed to excluding them from any game modes. It may have been Dustin Browder, the lead man, who many years back made the argument that because HotS is a team game and communication is important silenced players unable to write (there was no speaking at the time) should not be able to participate in ranked play. However, the game’s simplicity ensured there was virtually no communication, and certainly no essential communication. Browder was either pretentious, as he was in general, or was looking for an excuse to introduce a more effective penalty against abusive chat players.

I would also place a silence maximum duration of say three months.

Now, ideally I’ve been thinking of reforming the system altogether. There are two key elements to my idea that separate it from the previous concept.

1. Clear standards for what constitutes Abusive or Inappropriate Chat.
  2. Punishing players who falsely report other players.

The way this system would work changes at the enforcement level. Players would still be filing reports as before, although now it would behoove them to include an actual reason too, and a penalty would still kick in automatically. Under this system the penalty could still include a suspension from certain game modes. The difference is that upon filing an appeal the suspended player would immediately and automatically have the penalty be temporarily lifted pending review.

The Game Master would then use the defined standards to check the logs of every game in which a report was filed. Three games with legitimate reports and the penalty is not only upheld but doubled - the appealing player has decided to waste time and resources for a review he or she should have known better than to invoke. Simultaneously the game master is assigning a strike to every reporter in a game in which no transgression occurred. The false reporting strikes will exist in the background. Upon three false reporting strikes the false reporting player is issued a warning. After two warnings suspensions for false reporting commence.

The idea is to eventually unburden the system by punishing everyone who decides to disrespect the system by not taking it seriously/understanding it. Players who commit chatting penalties would think twice about appealing and players who get other players in trouble just because they want to will start thinking twice about filing reports. Hopefully this would lead to a shared understanding of what is and isn’t allowed in Heroes of the Storm and to greater compliance without the current haphazard purging of players.

The greatest challenge I would say is in defining the clear standards, which while perhaps not ideal will likely suffice in my opinion.

4 Likes

Everything today is abusing chat. Even saying “GG” ironically or when a game indeed is lost due to players being bad… It’s a joke.

6 Likes

Right, there’s no accountability. The childishness starts from the top. All Blizzard has been thinking about is how not to make people uncomfortable with no regard for the consequences. Muting is not enough, erring should be on the side of over-punishing even to the point of absurdity, systemic reporting abuse, and devourment of the playerbase. Even more notably, this company doesn’t learn from its mistakes. There’s no vitality in this company, just cowardice. They don’t do exciting things anymore, just safe ones. Not working out for them. They need to identify the snowflakes and incapable people within their structure and eliminate them from the decision-making process, subordinate them at least. If financial or business administration jackasses are getting in the way they need to be put in their places. You don’t let “rational” clowns in suits run creative endeavors.

I’m all for every single report being human reviewed but they don’t have the funds to hire full time staff for that.

The automated system we got is the best they can do.

Also, I mute chat in Storm league, that way their chat reports don’t count.

2 Likes

Couldn’t understand what? You didn’t even point out what I didn’t understand so you’re nothing but a cheap troll.

That requires major human resources, a thing you happily skip probably because you think they have endless money dedicated towards HotS (they don’t, it just got classified as a “Classic” game like Warcraft 3).

The penalties are automated and the Game Masters don’t care because that’s what they can afford.

I don’t like the current system either.

3 Likes

Nothing is gonna change until the system is no longer automated. Allowing bans to come from reports of different players against the account will lead to more players quitting. Even more so when all these players get punished unfairly while trolls dont care what happens to them.

The fact that troll, afk, gg are flagable for reports is pretty sad and shows the poor state of this game.

I keep noticing this tendency of people who have trouble following arguments calling other people trolls. It’s curious.

This is the part that clearly addresses the circumstances you assume.

This is a nonsensical statement. If there are game masters who review appeals then that is all that is needed. The game masters doing their jobs poorly is a different matter addressed by instruction and job accountability. You might as well read this paragraph too:

Game masters are involved only on appeal, as has always been the case. The appeal, however, will become dangerous for everyone involved not taking the system seriously.

What is sad is the obvious abysmal state of this community. Either someone is going to do something about everything from up top or nothing is going to happen. You kids - I’m hoping you’re still kids - will grow up and eventually stop playing.

Well, there it is, the classic “you’re all kids”. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

You either agree with him or you’re “incapable of understanding”. I bet you 10 baguettes that this man is of French origin

1 Like

What happened is that they let the community decide what kind of chat was abusive, and unless there was NOTHING that the real life person who might end up reviewing some chat logs reported that could potentially be offensive, they blocked it.

says the guy who wrote a long post about savings HotS by adding things that are antithetical to HotS.

Seriously though, having clear standards for Chat is a massive problem in of itself:
people will talked in coded ways, or deliberately rile people up while technically not crossing that clearly defined line, as one primary example.

A maximum silence penalty is also silly. The problem with silences as I understand, is that there is no way to reduce the silence penalty that is built up on your account.

If you get silenced for 3 months, and the day after you’ve been unsilenced, you’ve got a dozen or two dozen people to report you, silencing you again, you shouldn’t be capped at 3 months again.

Instead, imo, silence should slowly fade as a penalty. Which means people who rarely say things which report report, but are reported enough to be silenced, will tend to have short silences, long apart. While those truly just toxic remain silenced forever at some point.

no.
If you’re toxic enough to get silenced^, you’re not someone I want as my ally in a competitive game mode.

^seriously. I mean it. I still am amazed that I never have been silenced. Not because of how I interact/speak now in game, but because how bad I was, and how often I insulted/belittled/etc others in my first 1000-1500 games, when I was playing 15-20+ games a day.

:crazy_face:

Team 1 going away has changed the HotS development team… in absolutely no way as far as I can tell.

And given the massive case of mismanagement was how they announced that HotS development was stopping (when it wasn’t) and the communication around that… hard to say it isn’t activision who is pretty much solely responsible for what happened.

Simply communicating the re-assignment of developers from various departments in HotS to other games within Blizzard would have been the proper way to manage it, as well as notifying people that esports would be wound down, without external supporting winding up.

1 Like

also, I didn’t mention as I jumped around the OP when quoting, but yeah. There should be punishments clearly displayed for people who falsely report other players. 100%.

If this happens now (I do not believe it does) they should find a way to publicize that falsely reporting ends up making your real reports not matter.

All games has a mute or a abuse chat report no matter if you play this game or other mobas. If they did not want to talk to someone they could just mute them. Were they toxic or threaten others you had abuse chat report you could use.

Depending of which game we talk about they have devs to check the reports if they were legit reports. But here in Hots we are releying on a automated system that flags the most reported people in that cathegory and suspends/bans them cause they dont have the man power to do that.

So since we have a automated system we reley too much on that people dont abuse the system and false reports people and they have done that in the past.

But who is to blame in this problem ? The people who false report people or the report system being a automated system and not human reviewed.

Most people dont use chat today cause they are afraid the tricker happy false report trolls on thier team will report them just by saying ‘‘hi’’ to them at start.

So this subject is not 100% on Blizzard. The playerbase as a whole needs to stop being jerks to one an other change thier additude. No wonder people are scared today to use chat when they dont know if the four others might be those people that false report people cause its fun to get random people banned for nothing.

So this is something both Blizzard and the playerbase needs to change as a whole.

And there is the beside the point response signifying that the kid can’t defend itself on the substance.

It’s actually more obvious than that. Quite literally you show no capability of understanding.

You owe someone ten baguettes.

Exactly.

Everything of consequence is antithetical to HotS at this point. This community very much isn’t.

Yes, you’re all children. People talking in coded ways will be fine; it will be up to the aggrieved children to get over the coded insults or to enjoy the silliness their dipstick counterparts have to resort to in order not to get their little candy-asses suspended. Or everyone can start insulting one another in code. That is fine too.

I have confidence in the adequacy of standards I can come up with, wasn’t necessary to overload the post as clearly people here are easily overwhelmed.

It isn’t, enough said. What is silly is identifying the problem as reducing the built-up silence penalty.

I’m just going to skip the nonsense herein.

Right, people feel the need to come up with their own lame ideas. Another childish behavior. The penalty accumulation is due to sustained improper behavior. It’s an ok concept. Reduction is a low priority consideration as it doesn’t pertain to a primary issue. However, I would start things by wiping all the abusive chat penalties from all accounts.

It doesn’t matter what you want is the literal response. You would stop playing the game or the mode if you feel passionately enough to do so. One of the things this game needs to undergo is the development of a stronger, more mature community.

You got lucky.

That’s good news.

Not surprising that you were not only bad at the game but bad at following its development.

Uhm, no.

Correct, there needs to be a smarter system.

In other words you have nothing to contribute to the discussion, making my point for me.

Perhaps it’s a matter of them lacking good ideas. This is something I’ve noticed over the years, not just in HotS. They tend to think small. If at this point there is no one who cares then being on this forum is largely a waste of time.

Wouldn’t help saying GG, you suck, trash, uninstall, pick a good hero, how are you in my rank? Will be considered abusive and still get people banned under the human review

By the way, how ironic is it that players have resorted to muting chat or not participating in fear of being penalized when the whole point of the penalty was to remove players from ranked who couldn’t participate in chat due to communication supposedly being so important in this game? And then people blame Activision for pulling the plug on this freak experiment.

People do care about it, there is another thread I’ve been participating that’s going right now in tandem with yours:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/heroes/t/second-chance-for-banned-accounts/48313

Much feedback was provided to them before they made those changes. I saw very few people saying the system should be more unforgiving for chat silences. The biggest complaints they were getting (and still getting) is that “abusive chat” is too automated, vague and doesn’t punish false reports. People did complain about the lack of attention given to in game griefers who Int and AFK.

What they took from that feedback was to make it so people got banned after 3 chat offenses, with even less chance of appeal. They didn’t change the system for AFK or Intentionally Dying, it still takes a ton of reports for that.

I think it was less about thinking small, but rather more about “thinking cheap”, what as most economical.

*I do forget. They did make it so that you couldn’t be reported with chat turned off or from enemy players. That once was a thing too, at least I’ll give them credit for that.

1 Like

It’s thinking small or not much thinking involved, not cheap. I think economically too.

lol we don’t care about some dude’s possibly fake story about all the 1337 players hating the abusive chat report system. they SHOULD have quitten, and I’m glad they did :expressionless: