[Main thread] Preparing game data / 137mb Download on HOTS

Did some tests:

1. launching and closing HotS → no patch
  2. playing a Co op vs AI game → patch
  3. try mode → patch
  4. watching a replay → no patch

Well that’s new. Been getting the ghost update constantly and been using the HeroSwitcher workaround to play HotS. But ever since the last update I’ve been getting a region mismatch error anytime I log in from doing this trick. Plus there’s been a couple times my play button on the main menu been disable for some reason before the update. I really hope a fix can happen soon, I’ve tried the other fixes with no luck :frowning:

3 Likes

I always had the 137mb upon starting and the update-by-launcher upon exit.
If I closed the launcher with the game open, it would update upon next launcher run.

So, no difference on my end.

Which is a bit weird because… maybe it was a purely balance patch only so no client change needed. I expected it to be fixed with this release.

3 Likes

It’s totally weird, I had what you had, but now it’s only when I log out of the game do I get a patch. Unlike Mamekan, it doesn’t matter what mode I was in, mandatory patch after logging out of Hots.

1 Like

Glancing through the various hot topics it sounds like a configuration deployment issue.

It’s one thing that there is a mismatch between the client and server metadata.
It’s one thing that there is a mismatch regionally.
But when one player says, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t, it sounds like a gradual rollout gone wrong.

Code can be wrong and sometimes depend on really funny things, but the stability of instability doesn’t seem like a simple coding error, more like operations. Comparing two fixed version numbers will give the same result always. Unless someone is funny and included a random() to sometimes fail it. :smiley:

1 Like

The bug has lvl’d and acquired new powers.

Now it also says I don’t have the right version, so it tells me to close the app and restart it.

So I have to d/ the 137 mb twice, and reboot the app.

I think the bug will have to be adressed as Mr. Bug,( as we must fully respect it), it is beating Blizzard at every launch.

1 Like

Does anyone know for certain that it isn’t some malware that got dumped on the servers?

Very unlikely.
The download was always there for me in the past when a new version was released. It would download this something just once.

I simply think the root cause of the issue is that for whatever reason, the game and launcher always thinks you have a different version.

As the issue persists for over two months (maybe three) in some form, if it would be unattended malware, it would be caught and very much public by now.

1 Like

still waiting for a fix…

1 Like

i know we are still waiting for a fix… but does that mean every download gets dump or stacked in duplicates ???

These are the files changed in the last day on my system:

• e:\Heroes of the Storm.patch.result
  • e:\Heroes of the Storm\Launcher.db
  • e:\Heroes of the Storm.product.db
  • e:\Heroes of the Storm\HeroesData\data\data.014
  • e:\Heroes of the Storm\HeroesData\data\shmem
  • e:\Heroes of the Storm\HeroesData\data\0e0000001f.idx
  • e:\Heroes of the Storm.build.info
  • e:\Heroes of the Storm\HeroesData\data\0e0000001e.idx
  • e:\Heroes of the Storm\HeroesData\data\data.013

Going to note it says 1,031,381k (mostly data.013, 014 being 480 bytes).
It always says reclaming space.
Will check in the evening.

I don’t have further time to analyse now but these files seem to hold patch / configuration:

• e:\Heroes of the Storm\HeroesData\config\30\02\3002400fb745212b6566331acbf26881
  • e:\Heroes of the Storm\HeroesData\config\90\34\90341b688506d73bdf3b3f99aeab67e8
  • e:\Heroes of the Storm\HeroesData\config\bb\68\bb6812b6bc411765e8cbcb5f91ab49cf

These three are updated on 2022-02-01 and another trio on 2022-01-08. The latter (earlier) date is probably just the first day I played in a while.

Will add that my problem has gotten worse. It still loads 137 every time, but now I get game version mismatch every few times I open the game, and have to open the game a second time (and get the download 137mb again) to play.

2 Likes

I get this too, somehow if I Scan and repair and Check for updates, then it is ok most of the times.

How is this still a thing? Are the devs even aware this is an issue?

On top of this, now i’m getting a “Client mismatch” error. I have to start the game 2 or 3 times just to finally be able to get on.

Fix these bugs!!

6 Likes

Update.
My current set of changed files:

• e:\Heroes of the Storm.patch.result
  • e:\Heroes of the Storm\Launcher.db
  • e:\Heroes of the Storm.product.db
  • e:\Heroes of the Storm\HeroesData\data\data.014
  • e:\Heroes of the Storm\HeroesData\data\shmem
  • e:\Heroes of the Storm\HeroesData\data\0e00000021.idx
  • e:\Heroes of the Storm.build.info
  • e:\Heroes of the Storm\HeroesData\data\0e00000020.idx
  • e:\Heroes of the Storm\HeroesData\data\data.013

The 0e…1e and 0e…1f got removed. Both data segments changed but file sizes are identical. Didn’t backup contents to compare. Contents…

• Path Result said and says 0
  • Launcher DB is enUS
  • Product DB says 2.55.1.87306 and four hashes, n1, n1, n2, n1
  • Build Info says three hashes, n1, n3, n2
1 Like

Same issue, been months. Gettin version mismatch now

137mb, Game Mismatch Error. Closed, 137mb, Unmet Requirements: This game mode is currently unavailable for ARAM. Waited 10 minutes, still unavailable. Closed, 137mb, Game Mismatch Error. Closed. 137mb… Game works.

When its unavailable, from in the game log out and back in. It fixes that part in session.

I still have the daily patch and now it’s also led to a Client Mismatch error. The sheer volume of people posting about his issue here means the issues are not user error.

3 Likes

Just had a 132 MB patch. An improvment?