[Main thread] Preparing game data / 137mb Download on HOTS

I’ve tried to unistall everything from blizzard, cleaned the Windows reg, new installation and the issue still persist.
I have Windows 11 and Norton 360… Maybe the issue is related?

No, clearly. Most people don’t have the software you listed.
It’s on Blizzard end. The update keeps replacing the last chunk of some data file over and over. They just don’t care at all as, after all, it’s functional.

2 Likes

Still having this issue. It is very annoying. I use workaround and start Heroes of the Storm without Battle.net app via HeroesSwitcher_x64.exe.

I noticed the change from download BEFORE starting Hots to now having to download the 137mb AFTER having played Hots. This change happened in the time frame I installed a particular windows 10 update (KB5010415).

Could somebody confirm if this change, as a matter of fact, was triggered by this Windows Update, rather than by a change in the battle.net app?

This update introduced a lot of changes and this line in the release notes sounds as if they have tinkered with directory rights: “Addresses an issue that prevents administrators and content owners from opening expired Active Directory Rights Management Services (AD RMS) content.”

These are changes I do not really understand, as I do not have an IT background, but it kinda sounds as if it could be related?

I would have linked the release notes to KB5010415, but this forum apparently does not allow me to post links.

1 Like

Still having this issue. It is very annoying.

I noticed a change from having to download 137mb BEFORE starting Hots to now having to download 137mb AFTER Having closed hots. I noticed this change during a time-frame when installed a particular Windows 10 Update (KB5010415).

Could somebody confirm if this change was, in fact, triggered by KB5010415 instead of a change in the Battle.net app?

KB5010415 introduced quite a number of changes and there is a line in the release notes that makes me believe they tinkered with directory rights: “Addresses an issue that prevents administrators and content owners from opening expired Active Directory Rights Management Services (AD RMS) content.”

I don’t really understand what this means, as I do not have a background in IT, but maybe it is related?

I would have linked to the release notes, but this Blizzard Forum prevents me from doing so.

1 Like

Been experiencing this issue for well over a month and obviously it is extremely annoying. Win10, mainline no preview stuff. Battlenet on C:, HOTS was installed on E: but now is on C:. Deleted blizzard and battlenet folders out of %programdata% like mentioned on bliz support pages which “fixed” the issue one time.

Issue is returned; ~130MB download every launch and lately has “version mismatch” once the game has launched in the main game UI. Re-launching solves the issue. Sure would appreciate a fix!

2 Likes

Hey all,

Checking in here. Our Heroes of the Storm team continues to investigate this problem and is actively working on testing fixes behind the scenes. Hopefully we will see some improvement relatively soon. As always we’ll provide updates here as we have more info.

7 Likes

Thanks. Nice to know that the developers are still investigating this and don’t consider the problem as solved.

2 Likes

I just wanted to chime in that this has been happening to me since about November. I tried a complete uninstall, deleted folders, etc. No good

1 Like

Got a brand new computer. Installed the launcher and then installed HOTS from the launcher. 137mb patch every time again.

Same for me. Not sure when the main issue started with the launcher or when it was affecting all games, since I found out about all that later from the “main post” in a WoW thread, but I’ve noticed it since November-ish if not a little earlier, if that is useful at all.

The problem continues to creep up in new ways. Today I got the popup falsely claiming there was a new version and got kicked from a game that was about to start. Until today the game had to sit idle for awhile to do that and never claimed there was a non-update while I was actively playing.

You guys are aware that the problem has progressively gotten worse, right? Initially the “only” problem was the download whenever the game launched, but leaving it open negated it. Then messages started to pop up in game claiming there was a new version and forcing a restart/137MB download, but would only do it once or twice a week. Now it is both more frequent and even happens while actively playing the game.

Out of curiosity, is this an attempt to make the game annoying enough so people will stop playing it and give you an excuse to get rid of it? With the amount of time this has gone on and how it continues to get worse it becomes harder and harder to see it as an honest mistake.

Scratch what I said about it not happening in the middle of a game. In the game I just played Blizzard dropped my connection until the game ended and immediately greeted me with the new version available popup.

Just got 3 times in a row Game version Mismatch, and when finally i managed to log in, it displayed “This gamemode is currently disabled” so I had to close the game and reopen, getting 4 times more Game version mismatch. Downloaded around 1.1GB of data and took me more than 15mins to log in, so stressful. When are you going to fix this issue? Or rollback to the last stable version. It seems the new developers don’t know how to update the game properly.

Thanks

5 Likes

PolloFrito,

They have been able to replicate the issue with the Preparing Game Data and are currently working on a fix to release in the future. Here is a post from a Blue for more information on that: Preparing Game Data

I have the same issue here! Still no fix.

this never gonna be fixed coz blizzard doesnt care about prepaid users

When I exit the game, the Blizzard App gives me a notification that there’s a game update and it downloads something.
This seems weird that there would be a game update after I exit the game, if I launch the game twice in the same day it still does it each time.

1 Like

It’s pretty common in clients like battlenet or steam where you’d have save/settings data sync to the cloud after closing a game. I believe you could always see it in the client window, but maybe the notification settings have been changed recently. I’ve noticed that too, but couldn’t remember if I changed any of my settings, what with all the reinstalls trying to fix this.

Man, 137, so close to being leet, just missing…a whole decimal, lol. Analogy material.

Hello again,

Patch 55.2 (version 2.55.2.87774) has released today. This issue should be resolved now. Please make sure Heroes of the Storm gets updated in the Battle.net app and then try launching via the Play button again.

Let us know if everything looks good or if you’re still encountering the download when launching. Thanks!

7 Likes

Hello!

The 137mb download seems to be fixed after this patch BUT the Battle.net app keeps asking for an update after I have quit HoTS. Everytime I close game, battle.net is STILL asking for an update then reclaims space. This bug hasn’t been fixed still. I have reinstalled battle.net and deleted all traces, still no fix so far.