[HR] - Uther - rework - CDC #10

So on paper Uther seems pretty great but in practice he’s a pretty boring for many people. He goes out of mana really quickly, and has an extremely low skill cap. Nothing in his kit is particularly broken or clunky but despite this he’s alwase had mid-low to low popularity. Most of my changes aim to solve one of these problems. Hes pretty strong at all levels of play so I wont be introducing very many new strengths or weaknesses.

base stats are unchanged

Damage absorbed by armor is now shown under the healing/support stat on the score board and damage absorbed by Uther in the last 6 seconds is shown next to his portait. (Similar to how dva shows her damage absorbed by defence matrix)

why Not really an Uther specific change but the armor Uther is constantly giving everyone is extremely impactful but doesn't feel like it at all. It feels good to see big healing numbers so having damage blocked combined with the healing should help.

Eternal Vanguard

Upon dying, Uther becomes an Invulnerable spirit for up to 8 seconds. While in spirit form, Uther can heal allies with Flash of Light.

If at least 15% of an abilities heal results in over healing or armor is granted to allies that already have armor, gain back 25% of the abilities mana cost.

Flash of Light (unchanged)
Cooldown: 1.5 seconds

Heal an ally for 242 Health and give them 25 armor for 2 seconds.
Only usable for 8 seconds after dying.

original ability Devotion

Heroes healed by Uther’s Basic Abilities gain 25 Armor for 2 seconds. This effect does not stack with itself.

Eternal Vanguard

Upon dying, Uther becomes an Invulnerable spirit for up to 8 seconds. While in spirit form, Uther can heal allies with Flash of Light.

why Uthers on death passive is the only one in the game that actually works with play style so it is unchanged. The armor granted by abilities isnt actually removed but just tacked on to relevant abilities. Even though in Uthers base kit only holy light has armor attached to it, don't worry, there are many talents that provide armor.

The mana back on over heal does 2 things, first helps with mana problems and second it makes using a heal just for the armor to help someone tank a pyroblast or something a bit less taxing.

Some quick clarification, you get mana back every time something is over healed so if you and an ally are at full, casting holy light will give you 50% of its mana cost back. And yes, hitting 5 allies with Holy Radiance will gain you mana.

Q: Holy Light range 7
90 Mana Cooldown: 14 seconds

Heal target ally for 380 Health. When used on a target other than Uther, also heal Uther for 190 Health. Uther and target ally gain 25 armor for 2 seconds

Q: Lay on Hands range 7
90 Mana Cooldown: 14 seconds

Heal target ally for 500 Health. When used on a target other than Uther, also heal Uther for 250 Health. Uther and the target ally gain 35 armor. Goes back to Holy Light when used.

original ability Holy Light

80 Mana Cooldown: 12 seconds

Heal target ally for 362 Health. When used on a target other than Uther, also heal Uther for 181 Health.

why Slight buff in burst healing to make up for big W changes. The the fat heal should make over healing easy to

This ability becomes Lay on Hands when hitting 3 heroes with W until it is used. Knowing when to hang on to Lay on Hands or use it should provide more decision making for the player.

Devotion
40 Mana Cooldown: 5 seconds, range 6

Deal 100 damage to enemies and grant 15 armor for 2 seconds to allies in a line. If an ally has more then 15 armor, extend its duration by 1 second. Hitting a total of 10 heroes other than Uther transforms your next holy light in to lay on hands.

original ability Holy Radiance 70 Mana Cooldown: 12 seconds range 10 Heal allied Heroes and Minions in a line for 177 Health, dealing 177 damage to enemies.
why Something I noticed while looking through the most popular heros is that almost every single one of them has a weak, spammy ability and theres a good reason for that. Lowering the cooldown this far gives you something to do during the down time that doesn't spend all of your precious mana. The armor was removed from this ability it would just have to much up time and might get annoying to play against.

Needing to hit 12 heroes should make this ability more interesting to use. Lay on Hands is very powerful in order to make up for this abilities number reduction and maintain uther’s burst healing.

The range was reduced to encourage Uther to me in melee range more often.

Hammer of Justice (unchanged)
45 Mana Cooldown: 8 seconds
Deal 120 damage and Stun the target for 1 second.

why Hopefully the judges arent to upset that this, point and click instant hard CC, going unchanged. While I agree that this ability has little counter play outside of, dont go in to melee vs uther, its important for abilities like this to exist to keep the arguably more annoying hyper mobile heroes like Zeratul and Tracer in check. Theres not a whole lot Uther can do to fallow up his own stun so it should still be used as a defensive tool as it is now.

I considered having a .75 second delay before the stun hit but this would make it much less effective as an anti mobility tool and I’m sure Uther’s pick rate in high level games would plummet.

Divine Shield (unchanged)
80 Mana Cooldown: 90 seconds
Make an allied Hero Invulnerable and increase their Movement Speed by 20% for 3 seconds.

why Divine shield is just fine as it is.

I played with the idea of removing the speed boost and the bubble target gaining move speed% equal to their current armor but I think that felt like to much of a gimmick so I left it out. Altho if enough people think this is a good idea I’m not completely opposed to adding it in.

Divine Storm
80 Mana Cooldown: 80 seconds
Stun nearby enemies for 1.75 seconds and consecrate the area dealing 90 damage per second for 4 seconds to enemies inside.

original ability Divine Storm

80 Mana Cooldown: 80 seconds

Deal 170 damage and Stun nearby enemies for 1.75 seconds.

why I always felt like Divine storm could use a slight damage buff. Turning this in to a ground dot lets me keep the damage Uther can do with it by him self about the same but making the damage higher if an ally can help keep enemies in the area.

Thats all for now, talents are mostly done so they will be added when the time is right. the time is now right

talents

if i miss any duration on armor, they should all be 2 seconds. The range on all the auras and blessed champion are 5.5 (lucio aura size and auto attack range)

Level 1
Light of the myrter: can use holy light while it’s on cooldown to cast light of the myrter which heals an ally hero for 250 but costs 12% of max health (no mana cost, cooldown, 14)

Blessed champion: uthers basic attacks heal nearby allies for 7% of all non blessed champion healing done in the last 5 seconds.

Hammer of the Lightbringer
Quest: basic attack enemies
Reward: after 75 basic attacks gain; Basic Attacks reduce the cooldown of Hammer of Justice by 1 second.
Passive: Basic Attacks restore 1% of Uther’s maximum Mana and increases uthers maximum health by 2

Judgment: Holy radiance deals 75% more damage to minions and monsters and returns 1 mana for each enemy or ally hit

why level 1 talents are aimed at giving uther more things to do when hes not fighting or when his Q is on cooldown. Hammer of the Lightbringer's cooldown reduction and mana back were both nerfed to make room for stacking health and to tone down uthers stun spam. Blessed champion was made lesser and now includes healing from W moved to level 1 because that talent is super fun. Judgement should make up for losing holy fire so uther can still clear minions a little bit.

Level 4

Beacon of Light: While below 50% Health, Uther receives 75% more self-healing when healing others with Holy Light or lay on hands.

Holy shock: While holy light is on cooldown you can cast it on an enemy to use holy shock which deals 120 damage and heals uther for 200 health. (Cooldown 14)

Hammer of protection: Hammer of justice gives uther and a near by ally hero 15 armor for 2 seconds. Passive: when ever armor given by uther reduces damage uther heals for 20 health. (.3 second cooldown)

why self sustain to help uther survive the front line a bit longer sense his range was reduced. Hammer of justice can give mana back via trait.

level 7

Hand of Protection
Cooldown: 90 seconds
Activate to make target ally Unstoppable for 1 second and give 20 armor for 2 seconds. Cannot be cast on Uther. Basic Attacks reduce Hand of Protection’s cooldown by 4 seconds

Armor of Faith: Being Stunned, Rooted, or Silenced grants Uther 90 Mana and causes Holy Light’s cooldown to recharge 200% faster for 6 seconds. This effect has a 20 second cooldown.

Pursuit of Justice: Hammer of Justice increases Uther’s Movement Speed by 25% for 3 seconds and adds a stack of holy radiance.

why level 7 was full of talents that only did something of the enemy team had alot of crowd control. Pursuit of Justice was buffed a bit and moved here. Just to clarify, holy radiance stacks are what transforms holy light in to lay on hands.

level 13

Aura of repentance: nearby enemies who are stunned or rooted deal 25% less damage for 2 seconds

Holy Radiance: can be used while on cooldown to cast Holy Radiance which heals all allies hit by Devotion in the last 6 seconds for 300. Costs 250 mana, 20 sec CD

Aura of sacrifice: (activatable) for the next 5 seconds, 15% of damage taken by allied heroes is delt to you instead. This effect stops when below 15% health. 15 sec CD

why talents that help you protect your allies. Holy radiance can get mana back from your trait but even with getting 50% mana back the cost is very high.

level 16

Guardian of ancient kings: each time uther gives armor to himself or an ally reduce the cooldown of your ultimate by .5 seconds. When you use your ultimate, uther heals for 500 health.

Benediction: Cooldown: 60 seconds
Activate to reduce the Mana cost of your next Basic Ability by 50 and its cooldown by 10 seconds.

Aura of mercy: near by allies recieved a percentage of increased healing equal to their armor

level 20

Divine intervention: Divine shield can be used while on cooldown but uther takes 75% of his max health in damage. This can kill uther. 80 sec CD

Divine hurricane: Divine Storm’s radius is increased by 50% and its cooldown is reduced by 1 each time a nearby enemy is stunned.

Divine protection: uthers armor bonuses can stack up to 50 and last .5 seconds longer

Redemption: After Eternal Devotion ends, Uther revives at the spirit’s location with 50% of his maximum Health.
This effect has a 180 second cooldown.

Over all, I wanted to go crazy with talents, very few things were kept exactly as is and many were completely reworked. Lots of talents for stunning with out actually increasing uthers crowd control (untill 20) and some amount of self healing and auras should make him want to stay in the front line more. Tons of armor talents because thats kind of uthers thing and not very many talents that just out right increase uthers healing because while uther can do some nice burst healing, his sustained healing isnt great and shouldn’t be great.

Uther skin, Arcangel of Justice and other Sense Tyrael left heaven for good the angiris council is a bit short on justice. So when Uther, the hammer of justice ⁽ᵃᵐᵒⁿᵍ ᵒᵗʰᵉʳ ᵗᶦᵗˡᵉˢ⁾ died he went to heaven and became the new arcangel of justice.

Arcangel Uther wears silver angelic armor in reference to the silver hand, has the diablo style angel wings, and a floating crown above his head.

Uthers Q and W both have a more diablo approach to light magic (less runic and more “bathed in light” type of stuff and W has makes a few sparks of holy lightning.

Uthers E is still a hammer but with some holy lightning effects

Divine storm looks like a fist of the heavens attack (from crusader in d3) and the concentrated ground crackles just a bit

Divine shield gives the target some faint diablo style wings in addition to the bubble

-possible voice lines
with skin:
to imperius: I’m this close to bringing you to justice as well! (Imperius voted to wipe out humanity)
to tyreal: We will bring them all to justice!
to auriel: We must never lose hope.
to malthel: Your ends do not justify your means!
to nephalem: I appreciate your aid
to demon: When this is over, I will hold you accountable for everything!

no skin:
to anduin: I’ve never seen such a gift for the light!
to whitemane: I cannot condone the use of the light for such wicked acts.
to muridan or falstad: Nice hammer!
to sgt.hammer: Interesting hammer you’ve got there.
to chromie: Was there anything we could have done… (referring to arthas)
to fenix: I can heal you, you dont have to be stuck like that.

change log - added change log
  • updated trait text to be easier to understand

• holy radiance now extends the duration of armor and the Q transform now requires 12 total hits.

• uther is now more talented

• my inconsistent spelling was made more constantly inconsistent

• holy shock and light of the myrter were adjusted so you can only cast them once during a holy light cooldown.

• holy radiance was made more expensive and cooldown 6 seconds so that its numbers could go up

• holy radiance and 13 talent were switched

• benediction unreworked

• Uther took off his armor and revealed his skin, which suspiciously looks like another suit of armor

-hammer of justice was made slightly “bigger” so i could up the mana cost by 5

-updated trait to work with new W (almost missed that one)

2 Likes

I’m unsure about the armor changes, it is IMO the main reason to pick Uther.
The overheal on the other hand is very clever.

1 Like

The arnor is not really changed, its just not part of the passivve anymore. Theres a talent that gives arnor back to W. Just diddnt think 2 seconds of armor on a 5 sec CD for 30 mana skill was a food idea.

There is a talent that gives armor back to W tho.

Could add the armor back to W baseline but it would need to be pretty low with how much up time it would have

1 Like

Though i like the idea, the flash seems overpowered as hell.
Also the stats seems abit off on the dmg bit.

But i love the idea of turning him into a proper Paladin.

The flash of light part of his trait? Thats exactly as it is in the game, same healing and same armor. Its only usable for 8 seconds after you die.

Even more pally stuff to come. Auras to!

68 posts

Ngin:

Though i like the idea, the flash seems overpowered as hell.

The flash of light part of his trait? Thats exactly as it is in the game, same healing and same armor. Its only usable for 8 seconds after you die.

Ya lol sorry, the way you wrote it up, it looked like a separate spell he had while alive.
Because the passive mana regen was above so it seemed like a part of that.

But yea good idea overall!

1 Like

thanks xp

Ill edit that part so its a bit easier to read.

Total Score - 18/20

Creativity - 5/5
I think that the potential Mana return, transforming Holy Light to Lay on Hands, and the more spammable Holy Radiance are all good and interesting changes to Uther and would make him feel more engaging to play. I’m neutral on the Divine Storm change because I think it was fine before and is fine with this change.

Cohesiveness - 4/5
While the mechanic of Holy Radiance upgrading Holy Light to Lay on Hands when used well is a great and interesting mechanic in my opinion, the harsh different in cooldowns could just leave it feeling bad and weird. Imagine that you successfully upgrade Holy Light to Lay on Hands then use it right away because a teammate needs the healing; you could then successfully upgrade it two more times using Holy Radiance well but not be able to benefit from them, due to the large difference in cooldown. I think this feels bad for Uther, and would appreciate some kind of more consistent reward for using Holy Radiance well, whether that goes along with or instead of Lay on Hands.

Thematic - 5/5
Nothing feels out of place for Uther with these changes, so full points.

Interaction - 4/5
Again with the Holy Radiance change, I appreciate it being more spammable, but these depressingly low numbers will make Holy Radiance feel useless to everyone outside of upgrading Holy Light to Lay on Hands. My above suggestion of adding a more consistent reward for good use of Holy Radiance could change this, or possibly just buffing the base numbers up some; in this state, Holy Radiance feels like a waste of energy to click most of the time.

1 Like

Pretty sure the complaint on the Holy Radiance spam not tying into Lay on Hands properly is going to be fairly directly addressed by Talents, as was mentioned:

Wave of Light giving a smaller, or stacking, armor buff instead of its current reward of slightly increasing the duration could be one of them. And Tyr’s Deliverance, the 40% increased healing for landing Wave of Light, makes it a decent amount of healing while pairing quite naturally with the Lay on Hands switch.

Another option could actually be an anti-Minion talent tier, so spamming Holy Radiance might be a good source of lane power, healing and harming minions by significant degrees.

1 Like

These are some good ideas, might steal a few : p

Forum regulations are pretty strict. Here you go, Waterlong

1 Like

Waow, neat scores. I was feeling pretty good about this one but wasnt expecting nearly perfect scores.

Anyway, not gonna adjust any cooldowns as both wow pally and hots uther have alwayse been all about massive single target burst heals with cooldowns.

The hps on holy radiance is actualy higher then it was on original uther so i dont feel incresing the numbers is the way to go. That being said though, as per feedback from both you and and others I did change up W bit.

The Q transforming mechanic was changed up a bit. Needing to hit 12 heroes total should make it so it dosent matter that the codowns dont line up but will still add a degree of skill to the ability (a skilled uther will get lay on hands way faster then a new one). A few people wanted W to do something armor related so it now extends the duration of armor. This should make the skill seem more important from an ally’s point of view and do some armor thing. Sense needing to hit 12 heroes means you can no longer get a lay on hands in 1 W which makes it weaker, but that gives my room to add something extra.

Thanks for feed back c:

Overall Score

Category Rating
Creativity 5/5
Cohesiveness 5/5
Thematic 5/5
Interaction 4/5
Overall 19/20

Creativity

5/5

I would give a 6/5 to you if I was allowed, as you said you wanted to for my concept last time. There are some really solid, creative ideas in here.

Cohesiveness

5/5

The kit and talents still all contribute to Uther’s playstyle of Healer/Tank hybrid really well.

Thematic

5/5

The kit still feels like Uther, just if Uther was given a fresh coat of paint.

Interaction

4/5

The combination of Uther having enough talents to prevent him from ever running out of abilities to cast, and Uther being somehow more unkillable, I think, would be annoying to play against. I think there’s only some minor tuning needed in order to fix this, however, like sizable cooldowns and/or costs for Uther’s extra abilities, and maybe a bit of toning down on his sustain.

Additional Feedback

Bring back old Benediction. : (
More seriously, other than preferring Benediction’s current iteration(as in the one in Heroes right now), Holy Radiance being spammable feels a little strange? It also seems like it doesn’t do much. Maybe make it heal/damage for a bit more and increase its cost a bit, if you want it to be spammable?

Total Score - 19/20

Creativity - 5/5
With this one i do agree with the other 2 judges on the kit is quite nicely done as a rework for Uther namely the updated trait to have a non death passive, Skins wise Uther as the Archangel of Justice? he seems more like Wisdom or Valor honestly whereas Arthas when he was a paladin fits Justice but otherwise the mini lore bit there overlooks that at least, the theme to it fits too, Voicelines wise i love the Imperius one plain and simple and they all work, though Anduins could’ve fit the same role as a young Arthas ya know ;).

Cohesiveness - 5/5
The fluff skins and all fit the kit very well as an Uther.

Thematic - 5/5
All the kit and talents fit Uther as does the skin.

Interaction - 4/5
I can see Uther here being more annoying to fight against then he is now but at least hes much more useful to fight alongside then he used to be, just more mana costs and your right as rain, his Skin with voicelines is perfect interactions wise.

Which abilities specifically do you think need mana adjustments? Holy light/lay on hands went from 80 to 90 and devotion has gone from 30 to 45. The mana gain on his E quest was also reduced from live.

waterlong - 97/100

Creativity: 10/10
Cohesiveness: 9/10
Thematic: 10/10
Interaction: 9/10
(+2 Thoughtfulness, +1 Game Fluidity)

1 Like