{CDC #8} Rose, Handmaiden of Thorns

This is my half of the Aria and Rose team, the Renegades of Kings Crest.
This is an entry to the eighth CDC Competition held by Bliztron

Presented to you by Melke and Who You Expect a link to his half Aria can be found at the bottom of this post.
but with the introduction handled I present to you

Rose: Handmaiden of Thorns

“Oh aren’t my friends pretty… oh don’t worry if you don’t like them, we’ll be strangling you soon” - Rose

Backstory

Sweet and always smiling, so was Rose, the personal handmaiden to Queen Nightshade. For years the bubbley girl had done al her tasks with a skip in her step and the sweetest nature about her. However as Queen NIghtshade began changing Rose was sceptical of the change, as other servants began disappearing in the night after being led out into the garden. So this naive girl went out one night and found herself and came head to head with the shamblers of the Garden. Like every servant before her she was attacked, and with only a shovel and a survival instinct she smacked aside the first one to lunge, not before it’s sharp thorns had scratched her. Eventually. The pollen that entered her wound would have killed most, but for the bubbly and slightly insane girl, it instead bonded with her. Waking up in the day laying in the garden she found a sapling. Creature lovingly snuggled next to her. Having been bonded to the garden by the pollen she now commanded a portion of it.

Returning to Queen NIghtshade the next day smiling her way through her duties, as if she didn’t even realize anything was wrong. For years after this, she was both the handmaiden and the gardener going out at night, though she met someone she distrusted over the years, a knight named Aria. A sour puss in Roses mind and often combative due to who Rose took her orders from. However when the Raven Lord made his appearance and did damage to King’s Crest. Rose decided to work with the sour puss in order to save her friends in the Garden. Oh, and the rest of king’s crest, she guessed.

Base Stats

These are stats for level 1 and are meant to be a rough outline of the general idea of what I’m going for
Health: 1200
Mana: 400
Attack Range: 3 units
Attack damage: 30 + 15 damage over 4 seconds
Speed: standard
Mana regeneration: standard

ABILITIES

Trait: Fire Seeds/Green-ify the Defences

Rose and Aria have abilities that trigger “Combo’s” when a combo is triggered a bonus effect occurs and a Fire Seed is granted. Fire Seeds are a shared resource between Rose and Aria and can stack up to a maximum of 20.

Active: Green-ify our Defences
Consume all Fire Seeds and engulf a friendly fort or keep in organic material granting it 2.5% armour per Fire Seed consumed
If 5 Fire Seeds were consumed the towers rate of fire is increased by 25%
If 15 Fire Seeds are consumed each time the fort fires it also creates a small AOE of toxic gas that deals 20 damage per second, the smoke lasts 4 seconds
If 20 Fire Seeds are consumed the fort will generate an aura that grants all allies 15 armour and heals them for 50 per second.
Armour deteriorates by 2.5 every 0.5 seconds but will stay at 2.5%for the remainder of the time to make it last 5 seconds if the duration would be less then 5 seconds. When all armour is lost so area the bonus effects end.

Q: LIfebloom

Cost:: 80 Mana
Cast Range: 5.5 meters
Cooldown: 1 second
Heal a target for 100 health over 4 seconds. After 4 seconds are up the effect “Blooms” healing an additional 170 instantly as well as restoring half of the mana cost
Casting this again on a target will reset the time to bloom back to 4 seconds and add the healing effects of a second Lifebloom.
Can stack up to 4 times on a single target.

Combo: If The Bloom occurs on Aria during the last 2 seconds of Stoneskin Form it also burst outwards to poison enemies up to 2 units around Aria for 85 damage per stack of Lifebloom over 4 seconds

W: Sapling of Terror:

Cost: 40 mana
Cooldown 10 second per charge. Stores up to 3 charges.
Summons a sapling with 150 health that lasts 8 seconds. Will heal the target for 70 health per second
If the primary target dies it will target the nearest ally with Lifebloom active

E: Toxic Roots

>

Cost
45 Mana
Cooldown: 11 seconds
Cast Range: 5.5 units
effect radius: 2.5 units
Duration: 3.5 seconds
Summon a plant at the target location. This Plant will reduce healing recieved by enemies in the effect radius by 5% increasing to 30% over 1.5 seconds, this effect persists 1 second after leaving the effect area
Allies within the area of effect also gain 10% increased, healing intake that increases to 35% over 1.5 seconds. once 35% is reached the hero will maintain for as long as they remain inside the area of Toxic Roots
This effect triggers a Combo when Aria touches the plant with Flaming Advance.
This effect triggers a Combo when Aria hits a target fully rooted with Dragon Rush

Heroic Abilities

Heroic 1: Moss Armour

>

Cooldown: 90 seconds
Lasts: 12 seconds
Requires 13 unit range to Aria
Engulf Aria in sentient plants that will heal Aria for 3% health every second.
While this is active Rose controls the armour, is immobile herself and gains access to new abilities

Moss Armour abilities

Q: Thorn Volley
3 second cooldown
Range: 4 units
Shoot a small volley of thorns at a target poisoning them to take 150 damage over 2 seconds. during this time Aria deals 150% basic attack damage to the target
<Combo: if Aria can land 3 basic attacks on a poisoned target that target will take an extra 100 damage.

E: Pollen Burst
4 second Cooldown:
Range: 2 units
In an area around Aria send out a blast of pollen, this pollen heals every ally for 350 health over 4 seconds and enemies take 150 damage over 4 seconds
Combo: if used while Stoneskin is active. also, slow enemies by 25% decaying over four seconds

W: Vine thrash
4-second cooldown
Range: 2.5 units
Deal 50 damage and stun a target for 1 second
Combo: If used on a target under the effects of Flaming Advance the stun lasts an extra .5 seconds

Heroic 2: Field of Thorns

90 Second Cooldown
80 Mana
Range: 6 meters
Lasts 8 seconds
Cover an area around Rose in thorns. While inside the circle enemies take 45 damage and are poisoned to take 45 damage over 4 seconds also slowing 5%. This effect is reapplied for every 0.5 units enemies move while inside the area the slow stacking up to 60% slow

TALENTS

Level 1

For Kings Crest
Quest: Gather Fire Seeds
At 20 Fire Seeds : When a fire seed is generated Rose gains 15 Spell Power for 4 seconds, can stack up to 2 times.
At 40 Fire Seeds: When a combo is successfully executed both Aria and Rose healed 5% of their health and 5% of their mana
At 60: combos will now generate 2 Fire Seeds
Special : This talent can only be taken when your partner agrees. The first to select this talent offers it as a recommendation, highlighting it. If the other selects the talent, they both take it. Otherwise, if one picks another talent, it is blocked off, and cannot be taken by the other

Wave Healing: Lifebloom’s bloom also heals 35% of the healing to allies within 1.5 units

Tiny Friends: Gain an extra charge of Saplings of Terror but increase their Cooldown by 3 seconds.

Level 4

Angry Vines: Quest: Enemy players have the full 30% reduced healing effect of Toxic Roots
Reward: After 15 the effect radius of Toxic Roots is increased by 1 unit
Reward: After 20 the effect now also applies a slow from 5% to 50% over 1.5 seconds
Reward: After 30 once 50% slow is reached Toxic Roots also root the target for 1.5 seconds.

Night Shade: If a sapling is within 3 meters of the center of Toxic Roots it will be empowered also dealing damage to the nearest target affected by toxic roots. The damage is equal to 50% of the saplings healing

Glorious Bloom: The Bloom effect of Lifebloom will also burst outwards around the target for 1 unit, healing all other allies for 33% of the healing recieved.

Level 7

Synergistic Ecosystem: Lifebloom’s Bloom reduces the Cooldown of Sapling of Terror and Toxic Roots by 2 seconds Per stack of Lifebloom
RWater the Seed: When a sapling of Terror is healing a target with Lifebloom active, the sapling will also add 20 extra healing per second which will be added. For every 70 extra healing this applies the bloom will also restore an extra 5 mana.
For every

2. Tree’s take longer: Reduce the heal over time effect of Lifebloom by 15% but increase the amount healed by the bloom by 35% and mana returned by 10%

Level 13

Sapping Poison: Dragon Rush now also deals an extra 100 damage over 2 seconds, this damage is also healed to Aria
Active: Pollen Blast.
3-second cooldown:
Deal 10 damage to target
Combo: If this is used on someone under the effect of Sapping Poison Rose gains 65 Mana and Aria gains a bonus 100 health

Crippling Poison: Dragon Rush now also Blinds the target for 2 seconds
Active Pollen blast
3-second cooldown:
Deal 10 damage to target
Combo If this is used on a target under the effects of Crippling Poison Silence the target for 3 seconds

Spore Burst: Dragon Rush now applies a spore to enemies hit, 2 seconds later it will explode in a toxic cloud that reduces enemy spell power by 10% in an area of 2 units
Active Pollen Blast.
3-second cooldown:
Deal 10 damage to target
Combo: If this is used on someone with a Spore on them the spore will also burst 3.5 units out granting allies hit with bonus 10% Spell Power and 10% increased healing intake for 3 seconds

Level 17

Grand Sapling: Saplings now also grant 10% increased attack speed to it’s healing target. This effect can only stack twice
A Gardeners Thorns: Rose’s basic attacks now slow targets by 5% for 4 seconds, repeated attacks will reset the timer and stack up to a maximum of 50%.
Strong Roots: When allies reach 35% increased healing from toxic roots they also gain a shield equal to 10% of their maximum health that lasts 3 seconds after leaving the effected area. Toxic Roots cooldown is reduced by .5 seconds for every ally who reaches 35% and 1 second for every enemy who reaches 35% reduced intake.

Level 20

Armour of Grand Oak: While using moss armour Aria generates an aura that also heals all allies within 4 units of her for 3% of their maximum health every second. Combo’s performed outside of Moss Armour will also lower the cooldown by 5 seconds

It won’t hurt… much: Field of Thorns radius is increased by 2 meters around Rose and each time it deals damage it also poisons the target for 2.5% of their maximum health.

terrifying Growth: Greenify Defences can now be used on destroyed forts. creating an indestructible tower that will last 0.5 seconds per stack of Fire Seed’s consumed The Vine Tower will generate an aura that heals all nearby allies for 65 health per second as well as damaging the first hero it can target for 135 per second and 45 to enemies 1 unit around the primary target

Might of King’Crest: Aria and Rose’s combos grow in power:
Flaming Advance and Toxic Roots, enemies have their armour reduced by 5 for each tick of damage they take from the combo DoT. this effect lasts 3 seconds after leaving the Toxic Root effect
Stoneskin and Lifebloom: enemies under the DoT receive 50% reduced healing.
Dragon Rush and Toxic Roots enemies suffer a 30% attack speed slow for 3 seconds, starting at the end of Dragon Rush’s stun.
Sapling Toss talents [Aria, Tier 2] have their cooldown reduced to 10 seconds, and when activating a Sapling Toss talent, Rose’s Sapling of Terror will have its cooldown reduced by 4 seconds.
Pollen Blast talents [Rose, Tier 5] inflict additional damage over time effect to enemies, dealing 6% of their maximum health over 4 seconds.
*Special *: This talent can only be taken when your partner agrees. The first to select this talent offers it as a recommendation, highlighting it. If the other selects the talent, they both take it. Otherwise, if one picks another talent, it is blocked off, and cannot be taken by the other.

Interactions and Skins

Game Setup Interactions

> Rose - Oh my, you're almost as cute as the saplings > Murky - "Standard Murky speak > > Rose - "Is that metal in your body? Ew > Genji - "Focus on the task at hand healer." > > Genji - "I need healing" > Rose - "What's it called, oh yes a mechanic, go see one of those" > > Alarak - "Were there no suitable allies?" > Rose - "Well, of course, me and Aria are here aren't I?" > > Rose - "You're going to help me save the garden right?" > Orphea - "It is part of the Nexus so... yes." > > Orphea - "you're not as high and mighty as others from King's Crest?" > Rose- "being small and mighty is much more fun I find"

Kill Phrases

Rose kills a fire-based enemy (Read Blze, Ragnoros, Gul’dan etc.) - "Only Aria’s flame burns in my presence!

Kills Malfurion - “THe Plants don’t really like you today.”

Kills Orphea - “Good now your worm can help my garden.”

Skins

Tea Party - Rose now resembles a stuffing filled doll in a frilly skirt and a sickening smile on her face. This Skin features ability alterations making the Toxic Roots resemble threads and rope. saplings are “legally not” Chucky dolls and Moss Armour now looks like fluff and feathers.

Handmaiden of Blades - A Zerg based skin where she resembles an infested lady but with her features still visible. in this state, her Toxic Roots are now more purple in colour and her Saplings are based on a new strain of Zerg that resemble zerglings but stand on two legs.

Changelog

02-16: added baseline combo between Toxic Roots and Dragon Rush added combo effects to the abilities within Moss Armour, reworked Thorn Volley as well. added Talents Febuary 23rd - Added an extra effect to Toxic Roots that makes it also affect allies with healing intake increase, increased the cooldown of Toxic Roots by 3 seconds. Added - Voice Interactions and detailed Backstory

That’s it, for now, my friends. a Link to the hero who must be picked alongside Rose, Aria presented to you by my partner Who You Expect

You are the second one I clicked, so you get the forum blurb.

Total - 17/20

Creativity - 4/5

The characters are incredibly unique! I never expected to see nexus original characters in this concept, but I am quite pleased you have ascended past my expectations! The characters are quite creative in how they work together, with their combo effects being used to charge up their powerful traits. I think the shared resource is quite an interesting idea, with the duo needing to decide whether to defend a key fort or take down an enemy fort. Rose has some interesting healing abilities; I’m surprised Lifebloom didn’t make it onto Malfurion in some way. The idea of a healing summon is pretty interesting as well, even if ever so slightly plain. I do really like it, though. Toxic Roots is seriously cool. I like that both heroes have ways to “power up,” empowering their abilities in some way; it is seriously iconic. I’m a little confused to Moss Armour, though, as it says you control the armor but not her in terms of movement; is this like Nazeebo’s Vengeful Spirit or is it a self buff? I’d imagine a self buff, but it’s a little confusing here. The abilities in that form are kind of boring, however, and even though they don’t need to be as complex as basic abilities, I was hoping for something more than Uther’s E. Field of Thorns could use a little bit more I think. Overall, she does like a bit like Malfurion with the HoTs on her Q, and the roots that… root. As for Aria, her abilities are unique, but some things seem a bit underwhelming. Her Stoneskin Form and Dragon Rush are both just barely unique enough to make it work, in my opinion, but I suppose they pass for now. I think her Draconic Aspect is more in line with what I was expecting out of a “final form” type ability. Guard of the Dragon’s Flame is unique in some sense, but I’m not sure how well it will work in actuality. The reflecting damage would pretty quickly kill anyone with DoT damage or fast damage application like Tychus or Tracer; perhaps you should find a way to limit this.

Cohesiveness - 3/5

The characters should work together very well with their combo effects, and they do to an extent, but the limited nature of their comboes really makes the whole idea feel lackluster. Combined, the characters have 2 comboes they can perform, which is extremely small when you consider how they want to stack up to 20 or at least 5/10 before they use their traits. I was really expecting more ways to trigger comboes, and I really hope you can mitigate this through talents a bit. I do wish for some more baseline combo effects. I am pretty happy with the choice between their two traits, and it’s a novel idea, but it needs work. I think the dual final form heroics really brings a lot of flavor. Individually, I think Rose for one could use something more on her base abilities, but talents might solve this issue more. All of her abilities seem completely separate, with little to no interaction between them, either mechanically or intuitively. Her Moss Armour also actively takes away from her duo aspect, as the new abilities she gets can no longer combo with Aria, squandering the entire mechanical gameplay loop you two have built up. For Aria, the abilities seem to work together in an interesting way; since all of the abilities work off movespeed, you actually change the speed of your abilities by Stoneskin. It’s an intriguing idea. I see no major issues individually with the Aria design.

Thematic - 5/5

It’s particularly hard to judge this aspect, considering the fact that neither of these characters actually exist. They fit their core realms well enough, and they work well together. I really have no way to judge this easily at all. So, until we get more, I have nothing to deduct.

Interaction - 5/5

I have no real issues with this design, honestly, as everything seems to require good timing, and gives the enemy enough opportunity to handle them. Rose’s W can be killed, you can avoid her E, and you can not move for her R2. For Aria, her self-slows keep her in check, though her Stoneskin might be a bit overwhelming. I’m really not a fan of her R2, for the reasons I stated above, though at least for now I will not dock a point for it. I do hope it is mitigated by week 4, however.

1 Like

forum blurb

Total: 18/20

Creativity - 4/5

I think you did a great job, the kits seem congruent and unique. I like Rose’s Lifebloom a lot, and their ‘combos’ is an interesting way of working together. Their talents also offer some interesting strategy, as Aria picks talents that alter Rose’s abilities and vice versa. However, some abilities, such as Toxic Roots and Moss Armour remind me of Malfurion’s Entangling Roots and Abathur’s Symbiote. Also despite, combos being an intriguing mechanism, I’d say it’s a less elegant way of expressing “these two characters have synergy” than having abilities that fit together like a lock and key. Nonetheless, this is a creative dual-concept.

Cohesiveness - 4/5

I feel like the addition of talents helped steer Rose and Aria in a more ‘conjoined’ direction. While the combo gimmick is good but somewhat lacking, their talents seem somewhat inspired by Cho’gall’s and that’s great. The addition or more combos and picking talents for your other half are great.

Thematic - 5/5

I agree with Bliztron.

Interaction - 5/5

I don’t see a problem with interaction. There are plenty of ways to understand and approach Rose and Aria as to play around them. Even with the addition of talents, they all seem fair.

1 Like

18/20

4/5 Creativity

Nexus-original heroes are basically blank-slates for creativity, and I think you’ve done a good job here. Having a hero team representing the Thorn and Dragon themes of King’s Crest is just a fun idea. I think the fluff for Rose does a good job of highlighting her personality and allegiances. As for skins, Tea Party Rose and the Wind-Up Dragon is a clear, if indirect, pair. I think I’d rather they be more closely linked than simply being from the same universe.

5/5 Cohesiveness

Personally, I’m a fan of the Combo system you have set up. It can send a clear signal from one player to another how they wish to act. That kind of non-verbal communication is important in a game like this. And the passive adds extra incentive to trigger said combos, which just feels good. I feel like the talents do a good job of enhancing this as well, such as the Level 13 talents that give them both another way to interact with each other.

5/5 Thematic

They fit the theme perfectly. Two sides of the same coin lore-wise, and a warrior/healer pair in practice.

4/5 Interaction

It seems like playing against them will be very much like playing against any other heroes, so nothing wrong there. No huge burden of information on the opponents.

1 Like

Melke - 90/100

Creativity: 9/10
Cohesiveness: 10/10
Thematic: 8/10
Interaction: 9/10

(+1 Thoughtfulness, +0 Game Fluidity)