What is Trolling?

I see this term thrown about sometimes, usually directed at me, even when I am dead serious, so I am wondering what this term is meant to mean? I am also wondering if someone looks at my history to determine whether I am this undefined troll, or not? Or even if they don’t, what do they think? Was Mozart a troll? Was Einstein a troll? I know Mark Twain was, but that was part of his intention in life for the sake of absurdity and humor. So I would just like to know, what does trolling even mean? Am I a troll? I don’t think so, but then again, idk why so many people even call me a troll, that is what I’d like to find out. Thank you everyone, God Bless :raised_hands:

2 Likes

Only trolls put themselfs on the same level of such legends :relieved:

2 Likes

Good thing I didn’t put myself on the same level then, merely asking the questions as to how troll is defined, because I’d really love to know.

2 Likes

I don’t know you so I have no opinion about you in general.

Let’s start thinking about the word “troll” because it doesn’t necessarily have the same meaning for everyone.

Normally, a “troll” is someone nasty, provocative, perverse who likes to sow confusion and hatred out of pure Machiavellianism.
The “troll” likes to annoy other people with deliberately stupid, arrogant, petty topics.
The troll secretly enjoys annoying others.

But I think that word is distorted from its meaning when people disagree with you.
For example, if you say white, “he” will say black and “you are a troll”.
We must not forget that trolls can accuse others of being trolls…
There are also trolls who ignore each other.
:see_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: :speak_no_evil:

Of course Mozart or Einstein weren’t trolls, but I’m sure those who didn’t like them could denigrate them (I don’t think the word “troll” as it is used today existed in the pass).

EDIT :
Now i know you and i know you are a troll of course and that is why you asked the question and your name was banned on this forum (but you took another account).

2 Likes

The term is from fishing. A “trolling” line is one you cast into the water, generally from a boat, that you drag through the water with a lure.

It got sort of bastardized into “a troll” but the gist is still the same. “A troll” on the internet puts a lure out there - a statement meant to make people “bite” because its outrageous in some way, they may or may not actually believe or care about what they are saying. It is all about generating a response when you “take the bait”.

2 Likes

Thank you for the insightful replies everyone. But the question remains…am I a troll? I don’t think I am, yet I get called one by so many (some people even get fed up and block communication with me). So I’m still confused

A troll would trigger negative reactions in someone and have fun with a feeling
of control.

It is often a “miserable feeling” individual where, somehow, people feeling bad makes the individual feel less bad than them. Something like that, just don’t quote me.

2 Likes

Yes !
And many people already knew that.

1 Like

I’ve seen you trolling, and I think you know when you are doing it, but there is a part of me right now that believes you might possibly be sincere.

In an effort to help a fellow wild jank player, I will let you know the next time I think that you are trolling and why SuperCuddles

I would have to disagree with that definition.
Obviously, anyone that starts a thread wants people “to bite.”
That is the entire reason for starting any kind of thread on any forum. What I just stated cannot be refuted.
Labeling everyone who starts a thread a “troll” is ridiculous.
Of course, if you start a thread, you want people to respond. I have a genius level IQ and I think you would have to agree with me on this insight.

1 Like

Zebrafish didn’t say that everyone who starts a thread is a troll…
He explained the origin of the word “trolling” and why it was later used as “troll”

Of course everyone likes it when we respond to their topics.
But there are topics set up on purpose to generate arguments or something negative.

• Here is the definition of chatGPT for TROLL :

The word “troll” comes from English and refers to a mythical creature from Scandinavian tales and Nordic legends. Trolls are often depicted as malevolent beings living in remote and dark places.

In the context of the internet, a troll refers to a person who seeks to provoke, annoy, or sow discord online by posting provocative, insulting, or controversial messages. The troll’s goal is often to elicit emotional reactions or disrupt normal conversations.

:nerd_face:

• Or for TROLLING :

The term “trolling” or “troll” comes from English and is used to refer to a person who seeks to provoke anger or outrage online by posting provocative, controversial, or offensive messages.

The origin of the word “troll” as an online provocateur is uncertain, but it is often associated with the idea of casting a fishing line into the water to lure fish.

The term was popularized in the 1990s with the emergence of the Internet and discussion forums.

“Good authority” LOL :sweat_smile:
There is cheating and the developers know it…

This post was written by a TROLL.
:rofl: :joy:

He was not sincere, in fact.
Now we are sure.
:wink:

Interesting. Do you think I am a troll?

Why are you asking a question you know the answer to, the troll ?

In fact, because you are a troll !
:sweat_smile:

You and SilentStorm have been exposed.

Because I don’t know the answer

Interesting. Why do you feel this way?

Have we?

1 Like

You can let go of your fishing rod (if you can’t understand, I don’t care).

I will ignore you troll, forever.
:ghost:

I understand what you are saying, I do not understand why you are saying it

I’m sorry to hear that. Wishing you all the best

1 Like

Baby don’t hurt me, don’t hurt me.

2 Likes
A troll is a person that most likely suffers from a Borderline Personality Disorder and/or Narcissism. They get pleasure in upsetting others for mental or other gratifications. They are usually not very intelligent otherwise they would do something positive online and in their lives.  Some are psychopaths and the others just sad sacks of ...

I’m glad you asked this. Sometimes people define ME as a troll for just asking a question and I just feel like a kid lost in a store with grumpy adults not caring about ME.

For you, I think Diablotine thinks You’re a troll because they found a comment of Yours where they think you only made it to do the things a troll does. AND WHAT’S SO BAD ABOUT ‘casting out a fishing rod to catch a fish’ when no one would care to give you any much needed attention otherwise? People are like the grumpy adults in the grocery store ignoring the lost kid most of the time, and sometimes, they’re worse. Trolls are people too, as if that wasn’t obvious, and every person needs to feel seen and heard, NOT just classified as a “troll” and emotionally stonewalled for the grumpy adult feels to continue.

2 Likes