R.I.P. Paladin 3/19-3/28

March 19 - March 28. 2024.

So long! You shall not be missed.

5 Likes

Hmmā€¦ I already posted some predictions [1] in another thread, but now is the time to compare them with the actual changes.

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va9O7iqpcGo

Many of these were spot-on, although Aviana is not what was expected and the Mage buff might still be a bit underwhelming. But anyway, since the Paladin class is the subject of this topic ā€” I totally agree, see ya! Especially that Schroomcavate nerf feels good.

2 Likes

Iā€™m astonished they didnā€™t retain any Shaman flavor at all. Not even the goofy Evolve-then-DS idea.

But hey, good riddance. Now Handbuff Paladin can just win the game with massive bodies over the course of 2 turns instead of one! Leeroy and Deckhand are still in the game and still have Charge, after all.

7 Likes

Sounds good to me. I love when this type of deck just gets outright murdered.

3 Likes

Shaman had a flavour? :grinning: Hasnā€™t the class been struggling with its identity for a long time, more or less since the beginning? Iā€™ve also got this to say about it:

As far as I understand, the change removes the problematic bursty OTK-ish kind of deck, but is a buff to something like Reno Shaman ā€” so at least itā€™s a shot at establishing some reasonable play style for the class.

Maybe itā€™s still playable, by the way, just not that ā€˜bustedā€™.

1 Like

Whereā€™s the obligatory ā€œthese nerfs they do nothingā€ post.

1 Like

When you think minion evolve/devolve, what class do you have in mind? warrior?

Seriously, there has been multiple cards and multiple decks, competitive decks, that utilise the strategy of evolving minions. If thatā€™s not a flavor, then what is?

1 Like

You know, Iā€™ve lost count of various things the Shaman has been trying to do: midrange, totems, evolution, battlecries or whatnot ā€” picking up and abandoning them in a seemingly endless quest for its class identity.

Here it is. :point_up_2:

1 Like

First off, thatā€™s sick.

Second, it didnā€™t get murdered. If you ran Outfit Tailor over Schroomscavate and Crusader Aura over Deputization, youā€™d have a Tier 1 deck. Thatā€™s how OP Paladin was, you didnā€™t even need to run the best cards as long as you ran decent ones (and itā€™s arguable that the ā€œalternativesā€ were better in the first place). The only nerf that really stings is Tigress, but Paladin is still at least Tier 2 after these nerfs. Shroomscavate and Deputization get replaced, Tigress isnā€™t as good as it used to be, and the deck moves on.

I actually really like these nerfs because theyā€™re NOT overdone, Paladin was OP AF and can absolutely tank this hit.

2 Likes

There are a lot of sick things in the world. Iā€™m afraid this doesnā€™t meet the criteria!

1 Like

Good riddance. Let the next deck to be complained about take the stage.

2 Likes

The nerfs to Paladin are no joke and they went way above what i expected, i dont think anyone can say they did nothing.
If that class survives this nerfs and still lands on tier 2 it just proves they were warranted.

2 Likes

Every class has multiple flavor to them, this is the richness of this game, not kidding.

When you think priest, you think healing (control), value generation, stealing card from opponent, various shenanigans, and shadow damage.
When youā€™re thinking mage, youā€™re thinking spells, or even big spells, elementals, secrets, ping
we can do this exercise for all class, but itā€™s not uncommon for a class to have different flavor and strategies.

1 Like

I donā€™t know what to play now. Sludgelock is dead because itā€™s DH meta, and I donā€™t know how to counter a DH as of right now.

I tried playing DH and I like it, but somehow everyone runs freezes to prevent me from using weapon and somehow they always have it turn 3. Iā€™m tilted.

2 Likes

This is exactly what is going to happen.

1 Like

After almost 3 months of quests,and quests on the way out.
Blizzard balances quests to lessen the rediculously hard and easy requirement/reward combinations.
Which made me quit BG 2 months ago already. Not going back either but since i didnt spend anyway its not a big loss for blizz.

Thats why game is rigged. Why else keep these extreme imbalances in the game for 3 months. Or maybe they dont care,it doesnt really matter. Both are reason for me to not pick this game up again.

1 Like

Hard disagree. The two most important nerfs were tigress and Deputization Aura. The insane sustain these gave the class completely compensated how utterly slow it actually is. I donā€™t think it can even do without Deputization Aura even after the nerf.

1 Like

I must be hallucinating.

I opened DH matchups only to see it only has 2 bad matchups: control warrior, which got slightly nerfed, and handbuff pally which got destroyed.

There are matchups which go as far as 78% (spell mage, plague DK) in favor of DH

What am I missing xD How did they miss this?

The deck has no counters at all xD

1 Like

Good bye windfury!!!

2 Likes

No, the two most important cards generally are Leeroy and Tarim. This sounds like the kind of thing that someone who only plays Hunter might say.

Even as far as Lifesteal goes, Deputization Aura was never necessary or even optimal. Crusader Aura was and especially now is better. Iā€™m assuming Tigress is still playable, albeit not as awesome as before, and they still have Zilliax, and they still have Trinket Artist to find either. Honestly a refined version of Paladin wasnā€™t even running Deputization pre-nerf.

1 Like