My observations on the community as a whole

Ya know, when I get time to log in for some HS next week. I look forward to sending you a friend request. I won’t be to upset if you choose not to take it, but your replies in this thread have me thinking youd be a worthwhile friend atleast.

1 Like

This community is clearly large enough that a general statement about it is not referring to every individual member. If it felt that way, i’m literally telling you right now that it isn’t meant that way. It’s a specific reference to a general atmosphere that has been created. If you feel personally attacked by that, it is your choice to take it that way. I do apologize if I’ve made you feel that way.

I have literally zero qualms with any individual members. I don’t know anyone here. How can I possibly insult individuals? I can’t. It’s clearly not a personal attack. I think that is an overly nuanced argument trying to invalidate the overall sentiment that personal attacks are different than generalized statements about the game, because if you can say that I’m personally attacking people, I would therefore be a hypocrite and my point would be invalid. I think that’s the general line of reasoning being used.

Being able to further subdivide frats into individual frats makes no difference. What if I had started by saying “college culture sucks because there is a lot of rape?” It goes on forever.

Let’s stick with that though. I don’t know if these numbers are true, but let’s say that SAE has the highest number of rapes per year. Let’s just say. If I say that SAE sucks because it results in the highest number of rapes per year, should everyone in SAE feel personally attacked? Are they justified in responding in a toxic way and ignoring that statement because I have so clearly personally attacked all of them? … seems odd. And SAE is much more specific than an online community with people from all over the world with nothing in common besides an interest in a similar game.

The point is, making statements about a large group is clearly not a personal attack on every member of that group. I’m not sure why that’s so difficult of a concept. I’m commenting about a general atmosphere that has been created. Whether you choose to feel that’s a personal attack against you is your choice.

EDIT: It’s also been addressed already that the title of the OP could have been better.

2 Likes

Answer me this, would saying Rape culture sucks not make way more sense? Because that’s really what you have a problem with, you were even able to change from frat to college because the important thing, the condemnable act, remained the same.

You keep drawing a distinction that personal attacks are not okay but attacks on the game are fine. I’m trying to point out that your title is part of the former — I’m trying to suggest that maybe you observe other people’s posts differently than your own.

Generalization are frowned upon for a reason. I have no choice whether or not I identify with community, I’m here lol. How could I have 200 posts and not be considered part of the community? Or reaver or wardrum? Or lykotic?

Like with the college culture thing, if you had made your statement directed at toxic posters, the people you have a problem with, I would not be a part of the group.

If you admit that the title could have been better you have to give the responses you got some slack too. Bowsers response is to your could be better title. Do you see what I mean?

This is so nuanced.

Saying rape culture sucks is good, sure. But it doesn’t do anything. EVERYONE should know that rape culture is bad. Everyone should agree with that. It’s like saying starving children is bad. Yeah.

But pointing out a country and saying that country has starving children starts to get at an issue that could actually be improved upon.

Internet toxicity sucks, okay, sure. This particular place on the internet seems to have an incredibly high amount of toxicity. Not everyone is going to share those sentiments, but as I have pointed out before, it’s clear that a large portion of the community has had the same experience. And you have spent the past several comments trying to prove that saying that is a personal attack against you.

It’s not.

1 Like

Disregarding the ‘personal attack’ subdiscussion that this is turning into, I think that if you took a look at the instances of “veterans” beating down on less experienced players VS the number of people with any variety of experience coming on here and simply trashing everything from the game and its card/playstyles to the people that try to help them understand how to get over certain hurdles associated with the sources of their frustration, you might see where the toxicity actually tends to originate a pretty fair majority of the time.

I see a LOT more of people complaining about something and/or making entirely erroneous assertions (that a newer/less-informed player could come on, read, and believe) only to be provided with proper information and even a bit of direction,
(Also often made for the purpose of being viewable by new players perusing for information) then simply lash out at the replying poster(s) with insults and various vitrol than I do legitimate questions or requests for help being met with disdain from experienced players.

Social etiquette still plays a part even on internet forum interactions. You come in swinging and trash-talking everyone and everything, you can likely expect less hospitality than the guy in this thread got:

1 Like

Looks like the mods agree that saying the community sucks as your title is inflammatory.

Where do you get the idea that a large portion of the community feels the way you do?

I’m trying to point out why your personal experience is not generally representative of this community because of your other troll post and the inflammatory and insulting title of this thread. TLDR you have been inviting the responses you dislike. With some of the behavior you have outlined you dislike.

So thank you for your subjective opinion about the community, as someone who admits they don’t know much about us, hasn’t been here long and admittedly invites some of their negative experience on themself. Your very informative and revered opinion will be long remembered when our cities turn to dust.

2 Likes

What do you think of the comments of Bowser here?

I think your title and blanket statements, along with your other thread, gave this one the negative context that invited bowsers tone. 100%.

I have never had an unpleasant exchange with him. But I also don’t troll or needlessly insult people.

2 Likes

That comment was a reply to wardrum.

Your comments towards me are exactly what I’m referring to in this post. I have not been disrespectful to anyone in my comments. I have done my best to answer the question you asked me earlier, which you asked in an obviously disrespectful way. I engaged with that and gave examples without saying anything negative about you at all.

You, on the other hand, have litetally only shown me disrespect. You might not agree with me that this community it’s toxic, but you have certainly been toxic towards me.

1 Like

so far one of us has required moderators to intervene on their statements (your inflammatory title).

So clearly you can’t claim toxicity in this thread was unprovoked, even excluding your previous thread.

so where was I toxic? Could you quote it?

Just because I disagree with you does not mean I am toxic. That closed minded solution to not having people agree with you is not a solution at all. I have taken the time to reply to you as well, being careful to articulate myself. So I look forward to seeing where I was toxic.

3 Likes

the whole premise of this thread is you saying the community is toxic though. As a member of this community, i find it incredibly disrespectful of you to tell me that i’m toxic. We have never had any interactions outside of this thread. Your post is more toxic than the community you claim to be toxic. The way you have spoken to people in this thread is also pretty condescending, and I cant see any reason at all why people here should treat you with the respect you are asking for when, clearly you are not capable of showing respect towards us.

5 Likes

Zaxo is a god among men, he sees through the dozens of regulars on this forum, I wouldn’t mess with him, cause everyone here is trash except for zaxo

2 Likes

This has clearly devolved to personal attacks.

I’ll do you all the favor you do desperately want and leave. I honestly don’t even know why i tried. There is Literally no point engaging anymore.

1 Like

Like I said. You get respect when you give respect. You insulted the community through the use of blanket statements, you really can’t get mad when the people you insulted take a negative attitude with you.

4 Likes

Yes it has.

You said I was toxic, after insulting the whole community telling us we suck.

Don’t play the victim for sympathy.

Where is the quote of my toxicity that I asked for?

4 Likes

That does happen when you attack an entire group of people

2 Likes

I think he (quite understandably) was insulted by your blanket, sweeping generalization of an OP. Yeah, he was pretty harsh. I’ve also seen him contribute quite a bit to help not just newer players, but also more seasoned players looking for some extra perspective on an issue. He’s a big boy though, and is responsible for what he says. If he steps over the line and breaks the CoC, he suffers the consequences (and has before).

The issue at hand though is that the amount of regulars treating others poorly is incredibly small compared to the amount of outright trolls who’ve made it their personal mission to sling as much mud as possible for years now, and especially the number of players who simply want someone to yell at because they’re mad.

Refer back to my previous statement about social etiquette still applying online. If someone comes in throwing shade and snark, they’ve fully earned their share back.

In this case, you made a huge sweeping blanket statement that, whether you intended or not, applied to the entire community and was quite inflammatory itself. Not because anyone insulted was “part of the problem crowd” but because you led off with this community sucks.

You can edit your titles, by the way. You could’ve done that the entire time.

5 Likes

Btw I do think this forum is a toxic waste pile, you’re right there, but has it occurred to you that’s why I like it?

PS all everyone here is saying that it isn’t nice to start a conversation by saying “wow, you’re a sh@tbag”

1 Like

Devolved? Your first post in the thread is nothing but attacks.

You can’t devolve below 0-drop posts.

4 Likes

While funny, how dare you stain the good name of snowflipper by aligning him with this!