Is my Hearthstone device too old?

Using iPad Air with iOS 12.4.7 and games gets very laggy, resulting in being unable to play cards, attacks with minions and/or using hero power. Some matches are fine other are laggy.

Opponent’s playing Galakrond and creation of new cards results in lag. Devs/support dont acknowledge this issue since initial post 2 months ago.

Anyone else encountering this issue with their Hearthstone’s device?

I’m starting to question if my ipad4 is too old for hearthstone as well. Each update slows the game down more and more. The iPad is fine since I can stream all sorts of video, but if I try to play this cartoony card battling game, it always locks up.

The only thing I can think of is that, according to the Apple website, my iPad isn’t supported by Apple any more and the latest iOS that i can download is 10.3.3. Maybe when the devs optimize the game for later iOS versions, it happens at the expense of older versions.

Card generation effects and get cards from cards from cards from cards didn’t used to be so prevalent in HS. Maybe the devs are just exploring new design space offered by bigger memory devices.

Too bad, because I’ve been playing since LoE on this same device. I’m not going to buy a new device for a few years, so it appears that my days are numbered on HS.

How much ram does your device have?hs app its a lot of ram

Seems Apple in general is having a lot more issues than PC or Android. My iPad is nearly incapable of playing mid-late BG matches without dropping half the attack animations to catch up.

I’m on a fairly new android and my battlegrounds game just lagged like crazy for the first time. I presume it’s an update thing though.

As seen in my initial post of this thread, in the linked thread, I state that around March 21 and March 24 2020, Hearthstone was running lag free and very fast as it never did. Without any other patch being released and with other ISP adding new players around March 25, Hearthstone speed decreased.

Based on that I cannot exclude the possibility that Hearthstone’s servers can be involved in the issue. It seems that either the servers are overloaded or some matches with specific ISP are slower. That only the mobile device would be involved seems hard to conclude based on reaching high speed gaming without patches being released. (Unless blizzard patched their server without letting us know, but then again, that wouldn’t specifically involve the mobile device).

I currently play the game on an ipad mini 5 and have had no problems so far. I did have a problem last year but that was because I had the maximum number of apps open in the background and it caused issues, like the shop not opening and lag.

Good point. I didn’t mentioned it as it seemed evident, but it can’t hurt to precise that only Hearthstone app is running when the lag is occurring.

It is a low amount of RAM, but that doesn’t change the fact that ipad4 is listed on the HS website and in the app store as a supported device.

Thus, the ipad4 should have similar functionality as other more-recent apple devices. I understand that there will be some processing slow down compared to newer devices. However, missing mulligans and missing 2-3 turns at a time does not constitute similar functionality.

If the low-memory ipad models cannot perform the same basic functions as more-recent models, then they should be removed from the supported device list in the app store or on the HS website. otherwise, this skirts on truth-in-advertising territory.

that is literally how i play. Only the HS app is open when I attempt to play.

Its like playing on minimum spec req .

Except that it’s not like that. Minimum spec requirement configurations are expected to at least join games without crashing. I would argue that if a certain configuration can’t perform the basic functions of the game, then that config should not be listed as a supported device.

Isn’t it weird that a company would improve a game and at the same time exclude/lose customers due to that change?

If you were at their place wouldn’t you try everything you can NOT to lose customers?

If the iDevice is getting old, I personally think Blizzard saw it coming. As a matter of fact, the app and high resolution cards, sounds and animation are downloaded apart for mobile device. Now is such a change made to save HDD space or is it a way to circumvent the possible ever increasing basal amount of RAM required by Hearthstone to run (by allowing people choosing not to download high resolution effects)? If I’m correct allowing not to download assets could be a way to try not losing mobile customers due to changes made to Hearthstone.

I don’t think new designs (outcast, invoke) would require that much RAM. On the other hand, the size of the game is increasing for sure every expansion. So how does the RAM is filled when a Mage meets a Rogue? All the possible cards from the mage are being loaded into the RAM so that when 1 card is played, it is ready to appear on the board? Same for Rogue? In such a situation increasing collection size would directly increase RAM requirement (much more than new mechanics). So the point you bring about generating cards from cards would thus require reading to HDD with possible “fulled” RAM during a match creating lag?

Would that be the same issue, if you have an old desktop computer?

Specs are different for each OS. Can’t say.