Is it even possible to save Twist

Yes you make sense. Thanks!

1 Like

Obvious … here is what they were …

1. Everyone gets crappy slow cards except Demon Hunter who gets to Glide your hand away.

2. Everyone gets crappy slow cards except Rogue which gets Jade Telegram to discover which of the 3 cards you have to shuffle into your deck.

3. Everyone gets crappy slow cards but Mage gets to discover a guaranteed specific Dragon to OTK you with and you get to watch them play card after card.

4. Everyone gets crappy slow cards but Warlock gets a broken cheap location, you get to watch while they play card after card infinitely and then you die.

Define “nobody”.
Despite my initial disapproval of Twist having replaced Classic, I’ve played it every time it’s been offered, and there is no shortage of people here and on other platforms who are enjoying it.

You’re not wrong that people coming to the game later would have had to heavily invest in the older cards to play in previous seasons; one of the reasons I preferred Classic was that the cards for that were the subset of Core that have been around from the beginning and at worst a few Legend cards needed crafting, so anybody could jump.

This latest season corrects that inequity, somewhat. Commons are stupidly cheap to craft, and the power rating in this format is kind of busted. You don’t even need the CoT cards to build competitive decks, which is a surprise in itself, considering that’s the only path to monetizing the format they have right now. (On the other hand, the format was never meant to be a money maker, either. That was obvious from the beginning.)

As an example of this, my nephew has only been playing since Showdown started, and he’s able to play Twist with a higher win rate than he was getting in Standard; in fact, he’s had better luck with his draws and is past me on the ladder with zero coaching on my part. The premise that new players can’t get into the format is just plain false.

Also, your contention that ANY standard-only format is preferable to most players is flawed, if not entirely incorrect. People like playing with their old cards. There is a reason Wild format is still a thing. The biggest complaint people make whenever we get a standard-only Tavern Brawl is “It sucks this isn’t Wild” and the number 2 complaint is “Why isn’t this Wild?”. And at the end of the day, that’s all Twist was ever meant to be: a month-long Tavern Brawl.

By all means, play Standard if that is your preference. But, please do not assume (as your tone here suggests) that you, in any way, speak for the majority of players.

If you’re having FOMO and want to get into formats using older cards, might I suggest starting with crafting cards you’re short when TB is Wild? You’ll find the cards played there tend to be staples in ranked Wild. And again, this season at least, the Twist format only requires COMMONS, it’s not that pricy.

2 Likes

This is, by far, the dumbest idea I’ve ever seen on this forum. (I really hope you’re kidding here.)

Every meta, regardless of format, inevitably has one deck that stands out above the rest, either in win rate or pure annoyance that a ton of people are net decking into it.
There is only one solution that actually works… Play better.

Also, I assure you Pirate Dragon Warrior (my name for it) is not undefeatable. Pally gets the dragons out faster and has more of them. (I might want to switch.) If Rogue or Shammy gets an aggressive enough draw (Shammy is also capable of recovery, too), I’m toast. Etc.

So… Your first 3 sentences, describe exactly what they did in previous seasons. While I like the current season’s rules better, I would have had no issue with continuing that pattern.

That said, I think you’re overestimating the value of CoT packs. Except for that one Epic they made to help C’thun decks (which were still playable without having), those cards have not been relevant in the format, so far.

As for “dead”, I don’t work for Blizzard so I don’t have access to the numbers, but considering how short my queue times have been, with actual human opponents. I’m pretty sure the format is more popular than you’re giving it credit for.

1 Like

Sorry mate, I was 100% serious and don’t find it by far a dumb idea at all. I didn’t say anything about whether things can be beat or play better or anything; that completely misses the point/idea. Which is, if a game mode is 80% one class, which blind deaf monkeys can play and succeed with more often than not, maybe the other 20% of players would enjoy banning said class so they can have more interesting and fun times. Otherwise the mode becomes dead because no one wants to play because it’s the same thing every time.

1 Like

Finally, someone else on this forum gets it. :hugs:

Truly? In this season, the Future Emissary for Dragon decks or that Rat Sensei for trash-spam Druid (‘my name for it’ :grinning:) seem quite good, one might want them. This time, they are at least cheap, though.

My version (sort of… see below on net-decking) of Dragon Warrior (no Pirates, though) hasn’t been very succesful past D10 so far — it’s a bit hard to adapt to every kind of opponent (e.g. you include more anti-aggro and AoE — you lose to greedy clowns, you go for more value — faster decks can beat you)… It could probably be optimised in terms of performance on average, but a Dragon Paladin (mostly net-decked, though, gotta admit, with only a minor tweak on my part — I’d pick Big Ol’ Whelps instead of what some published lists, linked below, suggest, or choose some ‘tech’ cards if I really wanted to) has worked much better for me (up to D4 or something like it… Don’t remember right now where I stopped with the ‘grinding’) and is probably Legend-Capable.

PS I admitted to net-decking above, although generally I would roast those who advocate this approach, especially in a mindless, sheeplike fashion (I’d understand if a beginner player asks for advice on what deck to spend dust on cost-efficiently in order to make it count, for example). This time, I believe I’ve got a good excuse :grinning: as to not sound as a complete hypocrite (and I admit my ‘guilt’ nonetheless :rofl:), though: I had quit after Un’Goro’s launch, having returned only much later, so I’m generally not very familiar with about a half of the sets that currently make up the Twist card collection, so I relied on some… ‘inspiration’ to jump-start myself in the current season, given that it’s also cheap and I could craft some missing cards from a ready recipe (not all of them have turned out that valuable, though :grinning: , but no matter; just a little hint: be very careful with copying decks by one ‘Old Guardian’ :rofl:)… Oh, and learning all those old cards, which are otherwise irrelevant history for me (not interested in Wild), just for one fleeting season hasn’t seemed like a ‘valuable’ investment of my time and effort — after all, memory isn’t supposed to be a dump filled with utter rubbish, there being enough of it as it is, is it? :grinning:

You’ve gotta be kidding, right? Those obnoxious cards, namely the Chamber of Viscidus and Jade Telegram, ruined the respective seasons, especially the third one (‘Wonders’)… sadly, rendering poor C’Thun and team mostly irrelevant (not speaking about ‘Wonders XL’ here), by the way.

As for the current season, I’ve named some stars from the CoT.

Obviously, if there is/were such a class, its so-called ‘win rate’ would be about 50% (see, for example, this explanation for details; in short, most players would just pick it), thus, the bulk of players, to whom you have referred so derogatorily, would obviously succeed about half of the time and definitely not ‘more often than not’.

Your missing this point — a rather trivial conclusion, I must say — and the tone of your tirade speak of deficiency in intellectual capacity, especially in logical reasoning, and excess of bitter emotions, about Dragon Warrior in particular, respectively. As for the deck in question… The current season doesn’t even appear to be all about it — it’s just one of the relevant decks, see this review, for example:

https://www.hearthstonetopdecks.com/best-twist-legend-decks/

or even this:

https://www.hearthstonetopdecks.com/commons-only-twist-format-meta-decks-it-is-more-than-just-dragon-warrior/

Oh no, not another Mr ‘Nobody’ (‘No-one’… see the discussion above)… :man_facepalming:

I would perfectly understand if you would call such a situation boring, counter-productive and so on, but referring to players, even if they are few, as ‘nobodies’ speaks only of the lack of decency in such a speaker, nothing more.

1 Like

Yeah, I think I’d forgotten that Emissary was in my deck when I wrote that. LOL

I stand by what I said about the earlier seasons though. I remember exactly one game where somebody got a Telegram off. I’ll give you obnoxious, sure. But, we must have had very different luck with our pairings if you were seeing that regularly. Then again, I also was rocking old-school Aggro Shaman for the last couple of seasons, which required zero CoT.

I wouldn’t have faulted the OP if the premise was just him shouting into the void at all the Dragon Warrior decks in the field. Every other game was a mirror match, then. Maybe a week later, people found solutions, and it fell hard.

I dabbled with Token Druid, but couldn’t get it to cooperate. The decklist looked like it should have been more consistent, but my draws were always either load my board with 1/1s and nothing to pump them with, or a fist full of pumps and no minions. Bad luck, IDK.

Various Rogue builds have served me well for most of this season.

There was exactly one season where “it’s the same thing every time” might have been an accurate description, and only because they didn’t change the cards. Even then, it was fun to watch people experiment with deciding between extra cards vs. extra life.

Okay. But by the time you wrote this, we were about 2 weeks into the season, and the meta you were complaining about no longer existed.

Yeah, that was probably somewhat true (not the part about “blind deaf monkeys”) in week 1. As soon as there was a clear deck to beat, that’s when experimentation kicked in, and that deck’s viability dropped. Welcome to how metagames work.

Also, this:

Congratulations, aside from a few Tavern Brawls where everybody starts with a deck full of card X, you’ve just described every game of Hearthstone (or any other TCG/CCG) ever played.

I haven’t played twist not because of the cards limitations but just because the rules felt boring.
Only changing the allowed expansions never was interesting to me. People are just gonna try to reproduce past existing decks with the allowed cards.
The mode is supposed to be twisted with flavorful rules, like a one-month tavern brawl with ladder, but the rules don’t do much during the games

good luck reproducing existing decks with commons only

What I mean is you’re just gonna play with synergies that already exist in the game, but with restrictions
There’s nothing new beside CoT

I am actually playing Twist again!

The last month was so weak, and so boring! But now they made it very interesting again, with one new expansion every day, a lot of fun to get into the deckbuilding fun!

Yesterday went 8-1 with the tried and true Commander + Frothing combo, lets see what cards I can add to the mix today.
It’s decent fun allright!

Yesterdays deck:

Custom Warrior2

Class: Warrior

Format: Twist

2x (1) Execute

2x (1) Slam

2x (1) Whirlwind

2x (2) Armorsmith

2x (2) Battle Rage

2x (2) Cruel Taskmaster

2x (2) Fiery War Axe

2x (2) Shield Block

2x (2) Unstable Ghoul

2x (3) Acolyte of Pain

2x (3) Frothing Berserker

2x (3) Warsong Commander

2x (4) Death’s Bite

1x (5) Emperor Thaurissan

2x (5) Sludge Belcher

1x (8) Grommash Hellscream

AAEEAQcC0gLWEQ6dApADkQPUBPwEjgWRBvEH/weyCPsMgQ6NDpAOAAA=

To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

That’s more of an argument against wild, than twist. Also, I greatly enjoyed the commons only challenge. Forced me to use a lot of cards I normally wouldn’t. And a lot of cards I hadn’t used since the early days of the game.