Deck Questions and Legendary Crafting

Oof, that’s what I expected, early game has been rough for priest ever since dusk breaker rotated out.
Have you tried the old fashion Auchenai Soulpriest+ circle of healing board clear? It does 4 damage to all minions for only 4 mana, the only catch is it requires two cards. It is a decent early game board clear, plus Auchenai Soulpriest is not an expensive card to craft and its “risk-free” since it’s classic.
If you are feeling a bit dust risky (I would not recommend) Auchenai Phantasm+ circle of healing does pretty much the same clear for only 2 mana.

Edit:
Oh yeah Wild Pyro and Mass Hysteria works just as well.

1 Like

That is because you did not try it combined with Grave Horrors. In faster matchups getting two extra 0 mana 7/8 taunts can be game winning and in slower matchups you use it on Nomi to play around clears. The card is basically never bad.

If you want a stronger early game, you should include Wild Pyro and Mass Hysteria.

2 Likes

Wow! Immense advice - thank you!

For the most part, I’d say I’ve been following this advice, but, no more spending on individual packs then :stuck_out_tongue:

When I get to my computer later tonight, I’ll be able to much better follow up to you all.

Thanks again!

Rex - How and where would they fit in?

Theman - I’ll be able to add you then!

It’s a common thing that most people do. And it’s super tempting, so it’s an easy trap to fall into. But it is a trap to be avoided if you’re in it for the long haul.

The caution is simply that you want to be able to get somewhere between 50-70 packs when a new set drops. Now - some people don’t mind doing this with cash. But I’m cheap, so I prefer doing it with free in-game gold. So I make sure I’ve saved up at least 7,000 for every new set when it drops.

If I was spending all my gold as soon as I got it then I’d have 0 gold on Expansion Day and I wouldn’t have a choice except to get cards with cash. That can be frustrating sometimes because it’s possible to get a bad run of cards … and when that happens with cash? Yeah - bitter pill to swallow. But if I’ve saved my gold on Expansion Day then I get 70-80 packs for free and good run or bad run of packs it’s all the same.

Some people don’t mind spending the cash on Expansion bundles though, and if you’re one of those types of persons then free free to get packs with free gold as it drips in. But if you’re more trying to F2P the game, then you definitely want to save up a fair amount so you aren’t forced to spend cash when the next set drops.

This thread might also be helpful. It’s a primer on the “Value” of 20 packs…

Knowing when to stop getting packs from a set is critically important and most people don’t think along those lines. The above thread gives you the convenient mathematical breaking points for a person to decide whether to stop getting packs from a set or to keep going.

The TLDR version is this…

1. Your first 20 packs will give you an ROI of 4.2 to 1. Butter zone.
  2. After you have all the Commons from a set the ROI will be 2.5 to 1. OK returns.
  3. After you have all the Rares from a set the ROI will be 1.8 to 1. Low returns per pack at this point. When you get here you’re essentially spinning your wheels and trading gold for crafting dust.

In an average Hearthstone set you will get 100% of Commons after opening about 25-30 packs.
You will have 100% of the Rares after you’ve opened somewhere around 70-80 packs.
It will take you somewhere around 230+ packs before you’ll get all the Epics & Legendaries.

With this information you can decide how many packs in each set you want to shoot for and then stop after you get there. When you know that after 70-80 packs that every pack beyond that is just turning into 100 dust on average then that’s decision-making time.

3 Likes

Wow, I didn’t know that, I always just brainlessly open packs. Thanks for the stats lol.

2 Likes

Both of you - Thanks again. When I get to my computer this evening, I’ll be able to better ask my questions, and discuss anything else.

Thank you! <3

1 Like

No problem. Knowing is half the battle. Yo Joe!

BTW - those figures are assuming that you are just getting the cards purely at random from pack openings. You could obviously get to 100% of the Commons or Rares a bit faster than that if you use your duplicate dust to craft commons & rares as you go. But I wouldn’t do that. Dust is precious, and wasting it on Commons & Rares is unnecessary.

I appreciate what youre doing for a change, but lets not go leading new players down the garden path. Its highly unlikely you will gt 2x every common after just 25-30 packs, it would be closer to double that number unless youre crafting them which is ill advised.

On topic:

If you try this out, Injured Blademasters would be a nice inclusion as well. A fairly solid 3 drop in combination with Circle.

Pyro is a must in this deck imo. OK for early game board control and a key component in the Cleric draw engine.

Definitely do this, you can learn a bit from Theman as well as test some decks.

4 Likes

I feel like throwing in a circle is often a too expensive ressource. Only feels good when you can also draw with the cleric at the same time. Is it not?

With Nomi as a win-con, I would be running at least 1 CoH and 2 Pyros just for Cleric combo’s. It doesnt happen often, but I have had a few games where I’ve drawn 20 cards in like 5-6 turns (burned a few in the process) thanks to Circle/Pyro/Cleric combo’s. Usually you will probably get closer to 3-4 cards drawn per Circle.

IBM was more a suggestion if the OP decided to try ASP + Circle for a board clear. A 2nd use for Circle and another fairly beefy minion health wise, which could shore up the early game a bit.

Alright, I’m back!

I could do this, but I fear clearing my deck too early will have some negative repercussions. What do you think?

Noted :slight_smile:

Where would you fit them in?

I’ll give this a spin too!

Could you elaborate a little more into this please?

With your particular list, maybe. I would still try it and see what happens. The quicker you empty your deck, the quicker Nomi goes online.

I’d probably swap out these two:

Or maybe the Automaton.

There are a few “hidden quests” which you may not be aware of:

Definitely worth a try - Thanks :smiley:

The Swordsmith is, admittedly, not the most useful card. The Soup Vendor, however, ties into my Divine Hymns, Farseers, and Regenerates (Vargoth doubles) to help draw plenty more!

The Automaton helps significantly with the Shadowform! At it’s peak (Vargoth double), + Automaton, I have a 2cost - 6 Damage Hero Power!

Thoughts?

Oooh, I’ve completed most of these, but will definitely have a look!

You’re already running a few beefy taunts, maybe you could get away with 1 Sunfury? IDK without playing the deck. Just fool around with a few things and see what works best for you, if it doesnt work change it back. I know thats not really helpful as such, but it really is the best way of refining a deck. We can give you ideas/suggestions, but only trying them and seeing what works best for you will really work at the end of the day.

1 Like

That’s never been my experience. I’ve done the free-pack opening spree many times and I’ve never gone more than 30 or so packs before I had 100% straight up or was as close to it as no matter (like on the order of 96 out of 98). I suppose it’s possible with a really Really REALLY bad run to be more around the 80% range after 30 packs … but that would be some spectacularly bad luck. Possible - but pretty unlikely. The more typical outcome for 25-30 packs is that a person will be either at 2X of every Common or within a hair’s breadth of it.

You know what I think of your “experience”, so I’m not gonna derail this thread discussing it.

My experience since Un’goro opening 60-70 packs usually sees me still missing a handful of commons, some of which I did craft as I was done opening packs from those sets and wanted them.

1 Like

Absolutely! My deck started differently, but it was packing Nomi that caused a shift, so, I wholeheartedly agree with that advice!

I’m a level 40 Priest!

Theman - I added you!

1 Like

When I want to priest in the current meta, I tend to go miracle.

Something along the lines of:

### Miracle Nomi Priest
# Class: Priest
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Dragon
#
# 2x (0) Circle of Healing
# 2x (0) Forbidden Words
# 2x (0) Lazul’s Scheme
# 2x (0) Regenerate
# 2x (0) Silence
# 2x (0) Topsy Turvy
# 2x (1) Northshire Cleric
# 2x (1) Power Word: Shield
# 2x (2) Divine Hymn
# 2x (2) Seance
# 2x (2) Wild Pyromancer
# 2x (3) Acolyte of Pain
# 1x (5) Zilliax
# 2x (6) Gadgetzan Auctioneer
# 1x (7) Chef Nomi
# 2x (12) Grave Horror
#
AAECAa0GAqCAA9KZAw7lBKQH9gelCdIK8gz7DL3zAtD+AuaIA+uKA+qMA7CRA5ibAwA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
1 Like

Wow, thanks for putting that together!

Forgive my ignorance; How would that play, and what’s the skill demand behind that particular deck?

Re-reading, it’s the first time I notice this. I think I just enjoy the forum environment, and wanted to make sure my little resources weren’t wasted.

It’s actually a Vicious Syndicate list, I just opened my schemes today, so I haven’t even tried them in the deck yet. Honestly, I figure that Hysterias might be better anyways.

The deck draws wicked fast with Pyro/Cleric/Acolyte combos and Auctioneer. It clears with Pyro and removal spells (Forbidden Words is insane in this deck) and closes the game with three Nomi turns (Nomi + two Séance) or, against aggressive decks, four Horrors (two Horrors and two Séance) - feel free to mix and match as needed against midrange.

Fair warning, it’s not an easy deck to pilot and, even when you learn it, it’s not amazing in the current meta, but it can definitely work and is easily one of the best shells out there for priest at the moment. It’s also a tonne of fun if you like combo.

1 Like