Runewords reloaded! 🔢

Inspired by this post → New Loot Mechanism - Drop runes with prefixes instead of predefined gears - PC General Discussion - Diablo IV Forums (blizzard.com)

This is runewords reloaded! So I thought of a way you can craft with items using runes. This effectively lets you completely change runeslot affix items how you want with runes. How and what drops what runes would be quite the undertaking and I wont tackle that here. We would not have D2 type rarity runes though we do have uber ones. Runeslots let you get affixes on items that you cannot normally do!

Each item can have 1-4 runeslot affixes. So at item that rolls with 4 of these can be completely changed. Note that runeslots do not give you extra affixes on an item. An example shows you and how these runes can get you focused items like this one for lucky hit:

Example Runeslot Item as dropped:
Supplicant Band (rare ring)
5% Critical Strike Chance
5% Lucky hit
Green Runeslot (empty): 8% Resource Generation
Green Runeslot (empty): 778 Max Life

Supplicant Band after using runes:
5% Critical Strike Chance
5% Lucky Hit
Green Runeslot (Goblin Foot): 9% Lucky Hit
Green Runeslot (Rabbit Foot): 8% Lucky Hit
Green Affinity 2 - 3% Lucky hit, 8% poison resist, 15 DEX

Xfal Corroded Signet as dropped
Red Runeslot (empty): 2.5% Lucky Hit Chance
Blue Runeslot (empty): 13% Damage Over Time
Wild Runeslot (empty): 17 All Stats
Wild Runeslot (empty): 4% Cooldown Reduction
XFALS Special ability

Xfal Corroded Signet after using runes
Red Runeslot (Dark Heart): +1250 life
Blue Runeslot (Shard of Space and Time [UBER]): 10% Barrier Generation, 10% Attack speed, 5% Ultimate CD, Lucky hit - 1% Summon a time archon for 7s
Wild Runeslot (Dark Heart): +1250 life
Wild Runeslot (Azure Coil): 15% Lightning Damage
Red Affinity 2: +250 Life, 15 STR, 5% Bleed damage
Blue Affinity 2: 5% Barrier Generation, 2.5% Attack speed, 5% Lightning damage
XFALS Special ability

Chance for these slots are as follows:
1 slot - 25% / WT1 and above.
2 slots - 10% / WT2 and above.
3 slots - 1% / WT3 and above.
4 slots - 0.1% / WT4. An ultra rare find!

Once the number of slots are chosen then the colors for the runeslots are random.

Runeslots can NOT be enchanted. Runes are static and do not upgrade when the item is upgraded.

Each runeslot has a color to go with it and name and runes that go in must match the color. These colors have themes. Wild runeslots can have any color of rune. Wild runeslots only have a 5% chance of appearing.

Runes have 5 rarities: Magic, Rare, Legendary, Mythic, Uber.

You can use the same rune in the same item except UBERs are limited to 1 per color per character. Maybe this is OP AF?!

Items with runes have a purple outline and more slots = the darker the outline.

Using multiple runes of the same color on the same item gives you a bonus called affinity. This is my take on a sort of runeword bonus but simplified and also gives it a set type feel. Wild runeslots count for whatever color is slotted into it. Affinity is per item and you can get the same bonus more than once (TOO OP?) so these bonuses have to be kept low. Getting an item with affinity 4 is quite the achievement.

Putting a rune into a runeslot overwrites the previous affix but keeps the runeslot affix so you can replace it again if you want. Putting a rune into a runeslot with a rune already in it gives you rune dust except UBERs are gained back when replaced.

Runes can be dismantled at the rune vendor for rune dust and higher rarity gives more dust. Rune dust can be used to create random runes. The rune vendor will sell 6 random runes that refreshes like other vendors. He will only sell rare and magic runes and they cost quite a bit of gold. Random Rune creation chances:
Magic - 50%
Rare - 35%
Legendary - 10%
Mythic - 4.95%
Uber - 0.05%

All runes would be tradable as they would have extreme demand.

I am only going to make a couple of each green rune as an example to keep post a bit shorter. There would be more than this of each rune. This is enough to give you the idea being proposed here.

Red Runes - Max Life / Bleed Damage / STR / Rage (Berserk Damage and Duration)
Orange Runes - Crit Damage / Fire Damage / Fire Resist
White Runes - Chance to execute injured / Physical Damage / All Resist / WIS
Black Runes - Minion offensive stats / Shadow Damage / Shadow Resist / DEX / INT
Pink Runes - Lucky Hit - Charm / Wonder / All Stats
Brown Runes - Companion stats / Fortify Generation / Earth damage / Armor / WIS
Blue Runes - Conjuration stats / Barrier Gen / Lightning Damage / Lightning Resist / Attack Speed / INT
Yellow Runes - Movement Speed / Movement speed on clicking interactible / Movement speed on defeating elite / Movement speed after a lucky hit
Purple Runes - Minion defense stats / Damage overtime / INT
Gray Runes - Pickup radius / Max Resource / Ultimate Cooldown / All stats
Silver Runes - Offensive Crown Control Duration / Max Resource / Defensive Crowd Control Duration
Gold Runes - Gold dropped / Shrine Duration / Shrine Effect
Green Runes: Lucky hit / Poison Damage / Poison Resist / Life on Kill / DEX)

Green Affinity Bonus (Bonus are cumulative. If you have affinity 4 you also have 3 and 2):
2: 3% Lucky hit, 8% poison resist, 15 DEX
3: 3% Lucky hit, 8% poison resist, 15 DEX, +1% max poison resist
4: 6% Lucky hit, 16% poison resist, 30 DEX, +1 all poison skills

Green Magic Runes:
Chicken Foot - 6% Lucky hit
Spec of Ghom - 8% Poison damage

Green Rare Runes:
Duck Foot - 7% Lucky hit
Gob of Ghom - 10% Poison damage

Green Legendary Runes:
Rabbit Foot - 8% Lucky hit
Shard of Ghom - 12% Poison damage

Green Mythic Runes:
Goblin Foot - 9% Lucky Hit
Cube of Ghom - 14% Poison damage

Green Uber Runes:
Four Leaf Clover - 10% Lucky hit, 10% lucky hit while you have a barrier, Heal for 250 when you lucky hit.
Heart of Ghom - 16% poison damage, Your poison damage ticks 33% faster, +1 all poison skills.

This would lead to some power creep so game would need some hard content like new AoZ to have it make sense.

What you think guys? This seems pretty good right?

Or are you going to run me out of town?

:running_man: :running_man: :running_man:

1 Like

TL;DR

• Items can have 1-4 runeslot affixes, allowing for complete alteration.
  • Runes are categorized by color and rarity, offering a variety of bonuses when slotted into items.
  • Affinity bonuses are granted for using multiple runes of the same color
     i.e. Using multiple Blue Runes will give you an extra bonus on top of what they already add
  • Runes can be dismantled for dust, which can be used to create random runes.

That about sum it up?

Pretty much. Some other rules but this is the jist of it.

1 Like

Just off a first impression it seems like you’re combining Sets & Runes together. You’re also adding another element of RNG to the already RNG heavy affix table so to speak.

Similar to how S1 introduced colored jewelry for the Malignant Hearts, so it wasn’t only a game of finding a good jewelry piece, you had to find a good jewelry piece that would allow you to socket the appropriate the Heart.

In your case though you would have to find a decent piece of gear, that had the extra affixes attached to a runeslot that matched the colors you wanted to benefit the most from it. It’s basically colored Bingo. You want B-15, but it needs to be colored Green too. If it’s any other color, it’d be useless to you for example, well maybe useless is not the right word, less useful we’ll say.

Definitely adds more complexity to affixes and gearing that’s for sure. We would need a more sophisticated Loot Filter if this was ever implemented.

I think you are missing the point that there are many different runes for each color so you should be able to find something useful in every color for your build. And runeslots are just a bonus you can still use the item just as the item. And dont forget about Wild runeslots can do any color!

This was the idea of sorts.

I think my system is much more flexible than this rigid setup. Runeslots are nice but its not as important as the malig heart choices. This system would really spice up the rares market.

1 Like

No I get that, but I’m thinking it about from a min-max point of view, which you know people will look at it that way. For example if having 4 of the Green Runes on your gear added +1 all poison skills, and the various colors added their own + to skills, people would prioritize the color over the affix it was attached to.

If I had to stick with the affix +Poison Resist (even if I was well beyond capped) because it meant I kept the green runeslot over that affix, but it gave me +1 to poison skills, I’d probably take the affix loss for the affinity bonus gain.

save some creative energy for the PTR forums coming soon

Its true and that might be where my system breaks. Getting 4 runes on an item is so hard and getting 4 of same color would be like getting 5 ubers. But u could be right and when maxed out my system is just way too op. If so then affinity would have to change from per item to items total.

1 Like