Blizzard says Diablo 4's respec costs "are final"

GamesRadar+ by Jordan Gerblick

“We want players to actually get the chance to experience the system”

Diablo 4’s respec costs aren’t changing before launch, Blizzard has confirmed.

In a recent roundtable interview GamesRadar+ attended, Diablo 4 associate game director Joseph Piepiora responded to feedback from players regarding the apparent costs to respec a character, as skillfully mined from a recent endgame deep-dive.

Piepiora explained that, while the gold required to reallocate skill points will be the same at launch as what’s been shown, it won’t be as expensive as it seems because you’ll have earned a lot more gold later in the game.

“Players earn a significant amount of gold once you start getting into those high levels where those respec costs begin to climb, but the respec costs are final. We have them for launch and we’re not planning on removing respec costs. We think they play an important role in asking players to start to harden up their build a bit once they get to the that portion of the gameplay.”

Blizzard recently assured fans that Diablo 4’s respec fees won’t be “prohibitively expensive,” and Piepiora echoed that sentiment in this new interview. That said, Blizzard clearly wants there to be some weight behind your decisions with regards to the skill tree and the new Paragon system.

“It is a bit expensive, but it’s not the sort of thing where you simply can’t achieve it. You will naturally have earned a great deal of gold by the time you reach that stage of the game, and this is a way for you to spend some of it if you choose. But we do want players to feel that there are important decisions they’re making along the way that feel like they’re - not permanent, they can always back out of these things - but they’re intentional.”

He added, “We’ll always be looking at data, and we’ll be considering the feedback that we’ll be getting post-launch. We want players to get a chance to actually experience the system and see what it actually feels like rather than seeing screenshots that might seem a little absorbent initially. And then we’ll take a look then.”

Diablo 4 launches on June 6 for PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, and PC.

7 Likes

Lovely to hear.
I just hope they stay strong after launch too.

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

i bet blizz will sell gold in the cash shop.

hence the high gold costs over all.

2 Likes

A bit paranoid are we? :grin:

1 Like

That’s fine its their game to mess up as they want.

That said I have refunded my preorder and my wallet will be staying closed and that’s final too.

1 Like

Naa you will pay and you will play. :grin:
If this was your final post here, I will believe you.
But its not. You will reply and post the next few months. :smiley:

Naw there too many aspect of the gameplay I don’t like, respec cost just being a minor one, to fork over 90$ in my currency just cause I like the lore and dark atmosphere of the game.

Maybe if it comes on sale at half price or less at some point but even then dunno…the game will have to have a whole lots more content and systems in it, till then I will keep playing POE which I just started playing again.

I was upsetti spaghetti with their initial statement that respecing at all ever at endgame will be so expensive you’ll want to just reroll. But am totally fine with their clarification that youll able to respec now and then without issue, just not multiple times every day.

Fantastic. Glad they’ve stuck to their guns on this issue. Their system is a really good idea.

1 Like

Absolutely based. I hope they find the costs aren’t high enough and increase them.

I really hope more people with tender emotions do the same. Diablo 4 population improves each time.

1 Like

I feel this is fair. No point being up in arms over things we haven’t fully seen, played or experienced ourselves yet. If things really suck post-launch, then by all means voice it and let Blizzard figure out a decent compromise. They clearly have a vision for the game they want to try and stick with.

OH so not liking a direction some of the mechanics in a game have taken and voting with your wallet is having tender emotions is it?

Might want to go look in the mirror my boy cause the forums would surely be a better place with less people like you in it.

1 Like

You’re sad because you want respecs to be free. They’re not free. So in an expression of your tender emotions you took to the forums to have a cry for help and inform everyone that you are refunding.

So yeah quite tender.

After 40 hours in the beta, I already realized and predicted that respec gold cost would not be the problem…The problem will be the lateral grind to change a build constantly (or be bored with 1 build) and the grind being too rapid to solve this will cop criticism of its own.

Poor Rod, he really got mileage out of this comment, maybe Adam Flecther is raking him over the coals about this, but this just shows you how foolishly overreactive this dumb community of ARPG players is

Lacking reading skills on your part there furthermore I doubt you can read my “emotions” through a PC screen unless you have some kind of super powers.

I pretty much have said my piece on a few things I dont like in this game or even better just liked posts of what others said that I agree with. I did so as forums are to share feedback.

However sadly these forums are full of ITG here that think belittling others, or trying to impunge on their character in the forums makes them cool or part of the in crowd or whatnot when that’s really not the case.

The only sad person here is you for wasting your time and mine with such trolly comments.

1 Like

Please define? I’m slow.

Oh wait I think it’s internet tough guy.

I identify as an internet tough woman though so I’d appreciate if you edit your comment.

Why would you think they would change them?

Don’t expect the costs to be a big deal personally. We made millions in the beta at level 25

It’s cool. Like other games, I’m sure it’ll change after release.

1 Like