Resource managment (generator skills are bad)

Every single character on every single leaderboard has maximized their cooldown reductions and resource costs in the game with gear to ensure they deal with those as little as possible (If not removed them entirely). And it was pretty much the same way in Diablo 2 as well (via FCR).

You make no sense for real, when did D2 have such a problem and you cant read sarcasm can you?

All modern and classic ARPGs fun experience start from lvl 1 onwards.

D3 doesn not accomplish that and D4 may not as well if they keep with their paragon system philosophy that most of the diablo playerbase even D3 disagree with.

D3 failed at integration on so many levels it is not worth expounding repeatedly.

I am confident blizzard has learned valuable lessons from what did work and what did not work from D3.

D2 had such a problem as soon as you got your first skill that spent mana, so at level 1.

Just because you hate D3, doesn’t mean that people don’t like it from level 1 onwards.

And sorry, but where exactly are the statistics supporting that “most of the diablo playerbase even D3 disagree with” with the paragon system? That the D4 developers are already considering having a Paragon like system already shows how wrong you are about this.

1 Like

OK dude. :roll_eyes:

With the difference of the possibility to build your character as you wish since level 1.
You decide if you want more ressources, more life attack rating (hit %) & chance to block defense or enable equipment requeriments from first level.
D3 enables all that Stuff later scraping totally attack rating and block chance.

The game was designed to “start” to play and build your character on lvl 70 onwards in RoS everything before lvl 70 doesnt matter since there is no character progression.
All you do is “unlock” automatically spells and nothing else until you reach endgame.
In D3 basically the only restriction to wear items is item level and the obvious class specific item.

Oh believe me i am not the only one the majority of the diablo playerbase agrees you have no character customization throughout the start of the game.

Here are your D3 companions also agreeing with the paragon system to be a fail design.
The only people defending the paragon system are guys like YOU that “need” a “motivation” for infinite power level because you cannot think of better ways of character progression.

Every other ARPG has a finite system D3 is the only ARPG with this feature for lack of creativity in a mostly single player grind game.
The customization of Paragon level is not totally balanced but that sort of system should have started since level up TO BE ABLE TO CUSTOMIZE YOUR CHARACTER from the start and not speedrun to achieve the max level.
Thats just fail design, period.

I dont care if you dont agree with me even youtubers claim that paragon system is a running treadmill mice system, defend and praise your system all you want.

But i hope that if Blizzard decides for putting Paragon in D4 and their sales go low because of opinions of the minority of people like you, we know which people we can keep on hating for destroying the game franchise a second time.

Enjoy your paragon system its fun to increase your power levels infinetely on numbers just like DBZ, its amazing!

“Stupid micromanagment” is the fun part of rpgs

That would be the definition of the term “meta” which translates as the only viable way to play, despite having the illusion of choice for the sake of diversity. It is also something that can be looked up on fan sites as ‘having solved the puzzle’ of maximum effectiveness.

Pretty sure they’re aiming to veer away from that.

they can be bad;
-if they do nothing but regen, instead of also CC or be boosted by cube or set.

imo they are bad atm;
-they don’t replace a real skill, so they steal a slot.
-i’m for spamming skills, without CD
-it’s easy and viable to keep Lore and Immersion and an real aRPG, without resources to manage.

But i like to manage resources :wink:
Generator skills are taking the possibility away, to achieve the moment, that you are not running out of mana anymore
There are so many little goals and achievements in games
But a part of the community seems to only care about
Hit enemy, take orange weapon, epic (read this in pewdiepies voice)

This seems like an arbitrary line in the sand to me. You could just as easily say that you can achieve the moment that you are not running out of resources anymore in a system with generators by defining that moment as when you no longer need to use generators. As others have said, generator skills usually do less damage and have less interesting effects. Add to that the limited number of skills that you can have equipped at once and optimizing your gear such that you no longer have to equip a generator skill still seems like a decent build goal. The benefit to having generators is in the mechanics of the game before you achieve this build goal. Instead of having to deal with potion spamming or downtime you can instead use generator skills. This makes generators useful early game tools that fall away in mid-late game unless your build is focusing on them specifically. Seems to me like a win-win.

Well i only know it from D3 and its just way too easy to generate mana (word for all resources) with the generator skills and with passive effects
There is no real achivement
Skills cost too less and with all the cooldowns, the only thing that seems to cost something, is your “spender” (oh i hate those names, they literally show, how you are forced in a way to play)
I prefer auto attacks until you are able to regenerate
Or i would take the compromis, that some weak skills are just free

I absolutely hate resource generators. They are basically skills that do nothing to enemies until you are finally allowed to hurt them for real.

I much prefer when everything has a cost and you have to think about how much you are willing to spend, and then take time to get it back.

I’m open to new methods, but D3’s system is absolute garbage, which breaks its own rules so often to get away from it. Example being Wizards 3-4 arcane restored on crit on offhands. Don’t even use generators anymore.

i’m for the general preference;
-let difficulty come directly from mobs.
-not from more handling complexity to beat them.

1 Like

Complexity baad, only want hit enemy epicly :v

This is just you moving the goalposts. Irrelevant.

Again, moving goalposts.

And what exactly does this even prove? You still have absolutely no solid statistics proving your claim. And again, that the developers are already thinking about implementing such a system is strong evidence that you’re just outright wrong.

:roll_eyes:
Grow up.

1 Like

I disagree, I think resource generators add to class identity, like fury for a barbarian.

But the alternative you’re suggesting is like spamming potions to support a resource spender at a point, which is the same lack of challenging in terms of ability…Fluidity of combat is an important function to an ARPG, running out of resources and standing around with your man bits in your hand is kind of dumb.

Generators should either be a) means to an end until you feel more powerful, where with elective mode you can either empower a generator and gain a buff (from a passive ability with having higher resource), or b) replace with a spender because you can afford to with resource steal, power generators and potions combined.

I think one of the biggest problems here is people are bias to the things which are emphasised poorly in Diablo 3, like cool downs and resource generation which both become redundant or poorly implemented because of the game systems, modifiers, and set pieces.

1 Like

I’m concerned that when you go outside, you’re going to try and generate fury off some people by hitting them, or encourage them to hit you to increase your fury…Then take a few “magic potions”

well i actually dont favor, using potions
but it should be a goal, to be able, to keep fighting with powerful skills
until that, i think, newer generations of players underdestimate the simple beauty of basic attacks :slight_smile:
why is everything so flashy and speeded up?
diablo is not star wars

1 Like

It’s not about speeding things up, that’s why Diablo 3 and PoE are neither great games at the moment because they’re both meta power creep games.

But standing around doing nothing isn’t compelling game play, which is why they are at least attempting to add “reactive” combat with the dodge mechanic which I hope becomes integral to the game - it should be hard, have fillers, have dumps, and have well adjusted cool downs. I hope there is a very deep level of complexity and customisation, simple to learn very very very hard to master.

I don’t just want to spam an ability with the right damage effect because it’s the easy thing to do and controls the meta, I would rather use combinations of abilities to empower specific attacks…

Cast a blizzard, place lots of chill effects out on mobs, then once you’ve built enough resource, lock them in place with a frost nova (should increase critical hit chance / damage) and dump all my resources with a frozen comet on their face. But in order to do that, I have to dodge, round up, use defensive abilities, manage resources as to not over-extend, watch cool downs for defensives.

Diablo 3 is mass paragons + meta.

PoE is just meta power creep.

3 Likes