Resource managment (generator skills are bad)

well i actually dont favor, using potions
but it should be a goal, to be able, to keep fighting with powerful skills
until that, i think, newer generations of players underdestimate the simple beauty of basic attacks :slight_smile:
why is everything so flashy and speeded up?
diablo is not star wars

1 Like

It’s not about speeding things up, that’s why Diablo 3 and PoE are neither great games at the moment because they’re both meta power creep games.

But standing around doing nothing isn’t compelling game play, which is why they are at least attempting to add “reactive” combat with the dodge mechanic which I hope becomes integral to the game - it should be hard, have fillers, have dumps, and have well adjusted cool downs. I hope there is a very deep level of complexity and customisation, simple to learn very very very hard to master.

I don’t just want to spam an ability with the right damage effect because it’s the easy thing to do and controls the meta, I would rather use combinations of abilities to empower specific attacks…

Cast a blizzard, place lots of chill effects out on mobs, then once you’ve built enough resource, lock them in place with a frost nova (should increase critical hit chance / damage) and dump all my resources with a frozen comet on their face. But in order to do that, I have to dodge, round up, use defensive abilities, manage resources as to not over-extend, watch cool downs for defensives.

Diablo 3 is mass paragons + meta.

PoE is just meta power creep.

3 Likes

as i said
people seem to forget, that characters are always able to basic attack xD
your not standing around, you are hitting enemies xD
and this leads me to the assumtion, that, not using flashy powerful attacks, makes ppl think, they would not do anything, although they are still fighting xD

Not to mention that PoE is based on Builds that can clear screens of mobs, if possible before they can get close to you.
I find it hard to keep interested in that type of play, same with the Meta of D3, it’s why my clan has stopped playing and it’s only the second week of the season.

If you want that type of game they are already out there.

1 Like

I don’t mind generators/spenders as a concept, but if they are going to have them then they need to actually have them and implement them properly.

Diablo 3 end game is putting on the right items so that you don’t need to worry about resource anymore (like whirlwind barb). Why even bother with the whole system at that point? May as well just give everyone mana and make everything cost mana and get your one mana steal affix.

Same thing for cooldown reduction - if you’re going to have cooldowns, then have them instead of making most the builds alll about not actually having a cooldown on the ability, after all.

Generators could be fun if they felt weighty, impactful, satisfying to use skills - like you weren’t wasting your time using it just so you could use the skill you actually wanted. If you can’t do that go back to D2 mana, please.

1 Like

Maybe they could make generators not useless things that we want to remove from our bars forever, asap. That seems better than having 1/5th of the skills designed to be obsolete. Who is going to put points into those leveling up, when they are known dead skills?

Gnerators could hit harder, be overall closer to spenders. Consider that in D4 we won’t have sets that buff a spender by 10,000%. The power differential should stay pretty close to 1:2 or 1:3, spender to generator, instead of 1:~infinity.

Generators could create combos with spenders, or serve more of a role in the rotation than just generating resource.

Perhaps a frost sorc would have ice blast that is effective at applying a condition that her heavier frost attacks can exploit to freeze, and then shatter

basic fire spells that ignite enemies and cause her heavier fire spells to cause % DoT, and then spread that DoT to nearby targets.

Maybe a barbarians Bash could put their opponent off balance on crit, causing the next spender to hit harder, or frenzy could have a chance to give a buff that causes your next spender to cast twice, playing into the fast paced feel of that skill.

Those are just random ideas. I am sure blizz can think of better, but the idea is to make them a cornerstone of a build, something upon which to build so that you ste happy to use them, and make each use have some noticeable impact.

Creating six skills that are designed to be useless and uninteresting to use just doesn’t seem like a great idea, to me.

2 Likes

actually, the ice generator is supposed to apply frost stacks
but i really dont get how everyone wants everything be so powerful, you could also just throw a nuke at the enemy
“hey, give me a resource generating skill, that also tears enemies apart”
how about no?
what is the actual challenge in this game, you would eventually accept?
pressing dash button in the right moment, to not get 1 shot by insta death mechanics?

1 Like

My D2 sorceress is spamming Frozen Orb over and over against non-cold immunity monsters and spamming meteor over and over against cold immunity monsters.

Seems pretty brainless to me.

Also, it takes more than brainless spam gameplay in higher GR because you can’t erase the monsters less than 1 second, and the monsters can 2 or 3 shot your character which prompt you to dodge and attack for 15 minutes.

problem solved;
-save the world if you want to use your brains, or solve a puzzle.
-you don’t need complex handling to have fun.

entertainment parks are filled with action shooters.
add Lore and Immersion, and you have D3, a great fun infinite mobblaster.

needing challenges in an aRPG is a fake abused boring argument.

1 Like

If your understanding of D3 is needing Generator + spender, you are not playing the real end game/live in stone age. Generator + spender cycle was Vanila thing. After the introduction of Crusader - Akkhan set. No generator builds arise. To date, end game builds are built W/o Generators by balancing stats, another words, you build a working SYSTEM through synergizing skills and gears.

Mana potion should return in D4. More than 1 potion slot should return in D4. But not w/o restrictions. Players automatically pick the most efficient way of playing. If potion can be spammed w/o restriction to fuel expensive / powerful spells, that will be the META - Potion Spamming. Its not engaging game play. RPG core in any form is about weighing and trading. Even in D3, CDR / RCR / APoC / Utility skills are weighed and traded for pure power. Take Any form of wave of light for example, optimized build is determined by number of CDR/RCR stats you have, not pure damage stats. Potion spamming offers no trading other than cost gold, which weighs next to nothing.

Generator/mana potion should serve in early stages ONLY when characters/builds are not completed. Once completed, resource management should rely on gear(stats), passives and skills. D4 should promote building a working resource cycle (system) during character/build development.

1 Like

Yes, I’m not big on the potion spamming part either, it tends to become too strong a play mechanic.

1 Like

Ye i can imagine, season sets just give you resources for free :smiley: fits to the game

And i also agree, mana spam like D2 is game breaking

So i would even go wihout mana pots
Or at most like 1 flask that refills with killing or something

What are you, an automatic response machine?
I surely grew up and i am able to give constructive feedback but people like you stick on a game with whimsyshire, ponies and teddy bears.
You might as well join up with your family to play together Diablo immortal once it releases, its the new Blizard trend :slight_smile: even your 6 year old sister will be able to fully beat the game on her own :smiley:

#thereisnocowlevel

1 Like

Unless the price of the potions is very high. Why not letting people spam a ressource they can’t afford?

The price of the potions in d2 is too low compared to value in gold of the item dropping. I think one of the solution is simply to decrease this value for any given monster.
If the available gold on monsters is too high compared to the price of the potions, you get spamming. If it’s well balanced, people will have the freedom and manage the resource.

Though I agree with the other things in your comment.

2 Likes

i think, it would be more realistic, if you just have flasks on your belt
the amount of juice would always be balanced and you cant just stack hundreds of potions for your next battle

Torchlight potions have Cooldown but they arent high (about 8 seconds)and you can find rejuvenation potions (not instant heal like D2, its 2 seconds over time) by finding hidden areas in the game.

Maybe strong potions dropping with a diminishing loot factor (hard to find) would favor as well since they are “strong” you can use them for yourself for example in Boss fights or trade them and they will also get a value as tradeable consumable items.

Well I’ve thought about a toxic mechanic stolen from The Witcher 3 but what about diminishing returns like CC immunities in D3? The more health potions you take the lesser effect unit no effect from taking them. Be like a hidden CD but with diminishing returns instead of can’t use until CD is over.

It’s funny people’s alternatives to “bad systems” are usually worse. As many devs have said, players are usually a good judge of what’s wrong with a game but they’re terrible at offering solutions. Free skills? How is that any less brainless than D3?

Also, games like PoE and Diablo 2 don’t require much “resource management.” You basically use mana leech, mana regen, or potions and literally never have to worry about managing your resources. If you want resource management, think about a system like you’d find in classic WoW where every fight has to be managed so you don’t run out of mana by the end. In other words, you can’t spam unless you want to screw up your long game. If that is a system you prefer, then sure, I can see merit in it. Otherwise, no, I’m not for making the game even more brainless by letting me spam every skill without ever thinking.

-Cooldowns, if done well, do not ruin PvP. There is a lot of skill in baiting cooldowns and knowing when to save or use yours.

4 Likes

well, generator skill are like free skills that even go further and are free skills that GIVE you more resources xD so its double brainless :smiley:

It would indeed be brainless to spam a spell if it barely damages the monster because of its resistance. So yes, removing cooldowns makes the player smarter, instead of telling him what to do for reasons that don’t exist.