Resource managment (generator skills are bad)

we talked about potions a lot
but those potions need a value, no matter how they work
that said, we should talk about the resource behavior itself
D3 didnt really care for a proper resource game because it had cooldowns
cooldowns are bad :v
and also, generator skills are bad
when i played D3, i wasnt even caring about my resource
most skills i could just cast whenever they were up
and my spender, i just spammed until resource was empty, hold left mouse button for a few seconds, spam again
thats not challenging at all
if you want, make those skills just free of cost
dont bother for a name, because this “skill category” design, is bad anyway
just make the weakest skills free of costs and the rest, depending on their impact
items and if you want, passive skills (attributes) may provide regeneration
but by default, you should simply run out of resources, when you spam your skills

8 Likes

Yes, and i think that the mana (resource) pots could have some limitations too.

Oh Lolli42 don’t get me started! Ha!
IDK, generators and spenders are just a trope invented for play in D3, looks like it’s being carried over in D4.

I find it silly, but I always have a problem in ‘suspending my disbelief’ in games (and movies). My own fault I suppose.

Take the barbarians fury. Starts at 0 an goes up as he/she hits with pitty pat like minor damage skills. The really hard hitting skills cost a lot of fury. Also generates fury by being hit.

This never made sense to me.
So maybe IRL (yes, I know this is a fantasy game, humor me) all skills should generate fury, some more than others. So bash could generate 5 fury and cost 2, Seismic Slam could generate 5 fury but cost 4.

If fury degenerated very quickly but went reasonable full quickly because of the mechanic above, you would still have to switch between costly and non-costly skills to maintain your combat tempo. In group play there would be less of a need to keep moving to maintain fury. Other classes might be easier to play with since every other class starts topped off in resource and works down to 0. The exact opposite of the barb.

Many times on the forum you see posters complain I’ll never play with a barb because they won’t ever stand still. Some of this was Taeguk stack issues. But a lot is with the fury degeneration, which fills so darn slowly.

A. You’re copying your posts from a txt file
B. Your line lengths are a secret coded message to Blizzard
C. You’re writing in some type of odd poetic format

But yes, I agree with the gist of your post regardless.

3 Likes

Uh sry? XD
I try to keep it easy to overlook xD
But reading your comment makes me understand your point xD

That is because the resource regeneration is way too fast in D3.

If they want to make resource management and basic generator skill “meaningful”, they should remove the resource regeneration and mana potions in D4.

I prefer pots and possible regeneration from skills and gear
Always looked for mana steal and regen runewords in D2
Its fun that way and kinda rewarding when you manage to finally overcome the high costs of your skills

I disagree. Resource generation + Resource spending adds elements of strategic play in terms of pvp.

With the addition of cooldowns, selecting when to spend your resources, how much to build up, etc. All become factors in play.

1 Like

I haven’t seen any resource regeneration yet (only skills that you must select from in order to acquire spirit/mana/fury) and I haven’t seen a mana potion at all, for if they had mana potions, they would also need spirit potions, and fury potions, etc.

Looks like they removed that, and merged rejuvenation potions and health potions into one. Health potions 1) grant immediate health gain and 2) health gained over time.

Mana steal is just like skill generator. which is OK…but regen and pots will just trivialized the resource management like in D2.

Maybe but it didnt feel stratedig at all, just spamy
U hit skills when CD is up and u hit your spam until resources are down
Its not very difficult to understand xD

This fundamental of the game is not supposed to be.

The difference is, you have to achieve it
Not get it for free, from the beginning of the game
Pots are never a endgame solution for me
Health or mana
I always want to MANAGE, to regen/steal them with my final build
But i understand, potions can ruin the balance
Speedrunners dont care for managment, they just spam the vendor
So mana pots are maybe a problem
What u think about mana flasks in PoE?

Generator/spender is a much better system than D2’s potion spamming.

1 Like

Thats probably even correct
I never spam potions
I find my way to use gear and skills to manage my resources

I believe the entire Idea of a mana or resource pool should be eliminated altogether. It was fine for it’s day but that day is over and boring. Cool downs are boring. Let me do the thing I want when I want it. Don’t precondition things. It’s not really fun.

Lol, just spam everything, all the time? XD
Well, just wait for mod support and enable godmode xD

You known if they called the resource ball stamina (a hated D2 word) it would work very similar to how it is in D3. (mostly)

The barb and other classes start combat with a full ball, as they tire out and the resource drops, they move to the small damage generator skill, allowing their arms/legs/brains some rest thereby gaining some stamina resource back. Then back to the all-out swings/casting until they tire again.

The resource generator & spenders almost already work like this in most cases, makes more sense to me.

Maybe not very Diablo like, but really, hatred, disciple, essence, mana, arcane, fury, spirit, wrath, seems a bit disconnected also.

1 Like

Why not? We can already do it in D3 with enough CDR and Resource management. It’s just kind of a PITA. So why make it a PITA to do what everyone already wants to do?

Well, d3 also sucks
If your into that kind of brainless spam gameplay, its the wrong genre for you