Muyu's Suggested Changes Compilation

I’m going to link to one of my thorough explanations to add a bit more to your collection:

1 Like

Yes.

Yes.

I think drop rates as they are currently set under last Diablo 2 patch is almost perfect.

I would like to see increased cube size instead of charm inventory and gem/rune pouches/bags to store bigger amount of these items in it. If increased cube size will not be accepted i am for Charm inventory as lesser evil.

Yes please, no way they should let known bugs stay as it would be very unprofessional to release remaster with so many bugs as in original game. I am also for fixing all bugs, including eth and quest drop bugs. But in that case they should correct andariel drops as they are very bad without bugs.

I guess? Why not, but I dont need it. too many things like this will generaly make game more easy.

Yes please.

I prefer loot filter so you can choose what you want to see.

I dont care :slight_smile: I dont need to zoom.

I dont understand this, what cow level penalty? You mean removing Cow king Quest? In that case yes.

Yes please, nothing is worse than activating waypoit by mistake on already leveled character and then being not able to farm pindleskin.

I have seen it in action from one friend who is modder, I would like to have it.

This is must have…

I honestly dont know. I dont want to make it too easy. Players should be looking for informations, ask others. I dont want helping hand for everything in game.

Why not, this is harmless, I would like to see level of item too so I can see where it dropped.

I dont care :slight_smile:

Yes, it doesnt have to be increased extremely, but should be twice as big.

Would be nice if blizzard could support some kind of MP support on battle net between players where one will be hosting witch the patch.

YES!

Yes, later after release. It will require communication with player base.

Yes, few new maps to farm, maybe some new monsters, few new skills instead of not used ones, new sets, new uniques.

I am against this. This is not qol change, its making game more easy. There is plenty of arrows and bolt everywhere.

I would be ok with some tranfsmogrification for your items on channel, just cosmetic stuff. It could help the game in general as if it will generate money, blizzard might care more about making new content for it.

No, it is only splitting player base.

I dont understand this. Nobody said there will not be separated realm for classic.

It doesnt impact anything in negative way, people are using maphack which has this for 15 years. Having loot filter remove one of the reasons why people use maphack. Also it realy helps to filter loot you dont care about.

There is argument that someone will have advantage by seeing only limited number of item. I dont think so, all players can use it to see what they like. Nobody has disadvantage.

I would honestly change many Unique items to not so useless. It would help the trade and build diversity. I would also add new uniques.

Yes, I would like to see resistances and even skills of monster. These information would be reveals based on how many times you killed the monster.

Yes, I would like to see pvp arena where i can duel with my hardcore characters without dying.

I dont think we need more respec but i am not streictly against it if enough people will want more. But it is generaly speaking making game more easy.

As I said above, I would like to see new sets and uniques, they might add few every season.

Yes we need this to keep the game alive for longer time.

Mercenaries have not only pathfinding issues but several bugs related to their damage so it should be fixed.

I am against this.

Infinite stash, shared stash, yes please.

Definitely, we should be able to trade charms safely.

Strictly against potions stacking. I dont evne like rune and gem stacking, I would like to have gem/rune bags instead.

I am gainst multiboxing. People should be playing with others , not with their mules.

1 Like

Loving the responses guys, let’s keep this gravy train moving.

Coming back at you with more updates to the list!
3 more items added to the Quality of Life (QoL) section.

20. Toggle Show Loot On/Off (Harmless) - Another simple QoL feature. Some prefer show loot be permanently on.
21. Merchant Merchandise Refresh (Harmless) - Something else that can be viewed as harmless. Refresh available goods, similar to the gambling function.
22. Show Item Level of Gear (iLvl) (Mixed Bag/Harmless) - Something else I’ve seen the community request and have an argument for and against. I’ll leave it up to you guys to discuss down below if this is something necessary, and why or why not.

1 Like

Actual QoL. Can’t really see why this would be a bad thing in any sense.

2 Likes

The workaround is to leave town and come back. Refreshes it either way. This removes a cumbersome step in between. Comes down to whether or not someone feels the necessity to punish someone else that plays differently as the end result is still the same - they’re still going to get their item one way or another.

Toggle Show Loot On/Off – Sure, I like it from PoE after all.
Merchant Merchandise Refresh – Interesting problem this is, would like to link this here: PCGamesN new interview w/ D2R leads - #20 by MissCheetah-1661 you may find this interesting, but yeah I personally could see this being abused in some way.
Show Item Level of Gear (iLvl) – Sure.

1 Like

Fair enough. But in a sense, it could make the game easier since it might take you a long time running in and out of town to reset the vendor selection and get the actual item you are looking for, instead of spamming reset and force buying the item in alot shorter amount of time.

I mean there has to be a reason to why the vendor didn’t automatically refresh each time you open the window in the first place like the gambler? Therefore i don’t think it can be comparisoned with the new gamling refresh button.

But don’t get me wrong, i don’t think this is a big deal. But many of these small changes can have a large effect on the bigger picture, in my opinion.

2 Likes

Right now it takes quite a big effort to shop claws.

Adding a shop refresh makes this much, much easier.

I am not dead set against it, but it will make running the assassin in a new season far, far faster.

2 Likes

I been wondering about that my self. Ideally I would just make a cow portal beside a vendor in act 1 to refresh faster.
The question is how will that work for multiple people in game is where it might get tricky.

1 Like

This is basically how I accomplished it. Portal right next to whatever vendor I needed to refresh.

I like to think it was shortsighted engineering, since the game was literally developed not out of necessity but because they were peer pressured into developing it by their fans… but it’s all speculation at this point.

I can get behind the idea that it would make it too easy. I feel it would be something that would need more crowd insight on but in the end wouldn’t harm me either way.

To me OP has a lot of things marked as harmless that to me is questionable. And for Anya portal it will still stay open if you kill Nithy just don’t get the way point to keep portal open to farm pindle. I see a lot of this. Let’s get 1.14 out and let people play and refresh themselves or get acquainted with D2 if it is their first time. T

2 Likes

I look at the features objectively, and based everything I marked that way. This isn’t to say I am 100% correct in any way, shape or form, but I try to be as close as possible. The idea of this list is purely to bring exposure to these features so that we may discuss them in a single thread.

So if you feel something doesn’t seem correct about my assessment of the nature of each feature, by all means you’re free to explain here and debate with us.
Everyone’s representation of the features in the list are necessary for a fair and level grounds in which the developers can then scrutinize and decide whether or not it is a good idea to make a change or to leave the asset alone.

I understand as much. I use the phrasing and wording I did purely because there are people who straight up do not do anything beyond Pindleskin, where as others do kill Nihlathak and grab the way point and decide to go from there.
Just the way I decided to approach it is all. :man_shrugging:

OK lol a debate isn’t needed everyone has their opinions and that’s great. I just stated I prefer get a base game out then patch it later was my main point. There are people who have never played D2. I just think there could be better feedback once people refresh or starting playing it

2 Likes

First of all, i see you put alot of work into your post, and i do appreciate the effort, but i feel it needs to be said eighter way.

I do have to agree with the quotes below. I feel like this post is biased based on opinion, therefore cannot be viewed upon as anything else than just that, an opinion. By this i mean, it shouldn’t be your place to decide what is, and what is not a QoL or what people consider game breaking changes, harmless or harmfull.

Please don’t take this as an attack or aggression, because it is not my intent. :slight_smile:

I mean, this is the perfect example, how can this post not be biased based on personal opinion when there are so many people against such a change? This should in the very least be in the mixed bag. And there are also other sections who are questionable to me and others.

1 Like

Precisely. It’s all opinions based on objective observations. Interpretation isn’t going to be 100% correct, which this thread is open for, to debate them.

I am completely open to talking about why the way I rated the features is wrong or right or weird.

The basis to getting people to discuss something is to express your own opinion and to inform everyone that you’re not out to impress upon anyone that you are in any way trying to say that they are absolute, which I have done and accomplished. :>

Well, the way I see it, I look at it from a technical design standpoint. I point out that it is a system that performs the exact same thing the game already does, but using a more refined approach and improves upon the idea of the game - a looter ARPG, by improving the ability to actually find items for those of us who like to keep a full inventory for maximum performance characters.

The idea that most people do not like this change is subjective and doesn’t actually provide any grounds as to why it shouldn’t be allowed. The argument that it isn’t ‘good’ is based on nostalgia and or wanting to keep the game as close to the original design as possible.

If we instead embraced an objective outlook on the idea, we’d see less “HOMG THIS SUCKS NO!” and more “HOMG! This could improve the game but I don’t want to change the game, because I want to keep it original as possible, SO NO!” and don’t get me wrong, there are people that actually have responded in the latter example, albeit not so aggressively lol.
Again, this is not me saying I am correct, but my explanation of the feature is almost completely without bias. I say “almost” because I only used a vague example, such as ““most players” choosing to keep their inventory full” without actually having any evidence, but the majority of long time Diablo 2 veterans can agree with the assessment.

Charm inventory isn’t a “refined” approach, it’s a bloody mindless “I don’t want to make choices I just want to farm, and I want the game to be easier”.

Come on man, it’s biased, and we all know it.

“improves upon the game”

No. No it doesn’t.

You know what? using your logic, let’s go ahead and add 5 weapon slots, doesn’t that seem like it would provide smooth gameplay? Sacred had 5 so let’s go with it…clearly modern is better…

Come on guys, you aren’t even trying to hide your bias, while at the same time saying “this is objective and unbiased” give me a break.

Also, nostalgia has nothing to do with it. Charms are a tradeoff, they were designed to annoy you in exactly the way they do. They’re designed for people who want to min/max, and go as fast as possible, while adding an ACTUAL SKILL CAP to a genre that typically doesn’t have one.

7 Likes

Well, in the threads you linked in your original post, there are alot of valid good arguments against it.

The mechanic behind charms has always been, a trade of power versus inventory convenience. Taking away that cost removes a very important decision making part of the game. Inventory management is a core part of Diablo 2, as it’s always been.

RG: When we approached quality of life on this game, we definitely wanted to make the game more accessible, but not easier. So things like making the inventory huge, or making it so all of your items can stack, right? Picking which loot to take and discard is still an important decision, so we’re not going to make the game easier.

And: Our goal right now is to offer you an authentic Diablo II gaming experience. We will indeed make this game more accessible, but that doesn’t necessarily end up making it easier. That is our mindset. But we also continue to hear feedback from gamers who had tasted Technical Alpha yesterday.

If some players, or the majority as you claim do fill their inventory with charms eighter way, that is a choice they make. There are many people, including me, that actually do prefer having available space for item pickups instead of min-maxing unnecessary power. So to these people, a charm inventory would be a powercreep.

Not to mention the advantages a charm inventory gives in the leveling stages, where most people actually play multiplayer, where available loot space is a big factor to be able to compete in the FFA loot system. With a charm inventory, everyone would be able to pick up and use every charm that drops (Making the game easier), but also be able to contest for loot.

And the final point brings me to potion stacking. Having a charm inventory allows you to carry a substantial amount of potions in your inventory, also providing a buff to your character.

The whole idea behind the design was space vs. power. That was the tradeoff. That was the point. I like how it balances that. In the end, there are few items you want to pick up anyhow. Plus I’m a big anti-inventory-space designer." David Brevik

TLDR; A charm inventory removes a big part of Diablo 2 in regards to decision making whether or not to carry potions, charms or have free space to loot items.

2 Likes

This right here is actually just narcissistic. “My idea of how to change this game is objectively better, and everyone else is clearly just nostalgic”

No. No, that’s clearly narcissistic thinking. Objective? how is anything you possibly said about a charm inventory objective?

We understand you clearly want the game to be easier, and more modern. None of this is objectively better than the way Diablo2 works now.

You state that it could improve the game, and the only valid argument is that the rest of us are just against change in general. Did you ever think maybe it’s just a terrible design choice? "let’s add this 10x4 grid, and let players throw their best charms in there for every character, with no tradeoff whatsoever. " Yeah, no thanks, that sounds super boring.

No choices= bad game design.
Charm inventory = you stack your best 10x4 charms, very little choice at all.

3 Likes

The point is, in modern games, they usually make the decisions for you. So all you have to do is run around and slay monsters indefinately.

Diablo 2 has always been different, which is why it has always been my favorite game.

Decisions in games creates depth and immersion. It makes you feel good about your character and your choices as you play the game.

If they removed such things, all we would be left with is a mindless hack n’ slash experience with rare loot in my opinion.

4 Likes

Let’s look at the game’s version history real quick - a history lesson if you will!

1. The game had begun development in 1999 by Blizzard North.
  2. The resolution the game had been working with during development was 800x600 at the time.
  3. Developers at Blizzard North stated themselves that they were done and over with Diablo as a title shortly after Diablo 1. They did not want to make Diablo 2 nor were interested, but their public base begged for it, and so they developed it against their better judgement as they had previously begun theorycrafting ideas for a different game.
  4. Most of the features in Diablo 2 are BROKEN if that doesn’t give you a hint as to why certain features were never fixed. Y’know, a big one being skills, others being the security of Diablo 2 Battle.net integration at the time. Duping, hacking, botting, etc.
  5. Blizzard Irvine never intended to fix anything when they released its most recent patches prior to Resurrected announcement. Those were intended to appease the audiences as any respectable company would with an IP under their name that is still rolling strong to this day. It’s just good business. (while completely undermining the game by letting it be as is in its current state)

The game is enshrouded in complete and utter neglect because of several factors;
(Keep in mind, every time I mention “Irvine” and “North” alongside “Blizzard” is an attempt to distinguish between a company that developed Diablo 2 (Blizzard North) and the company that merely owns the IP (Blizzard Irvine)
Blizzard Irvine at the time they completely took ownership of Diablo 2 was developing what would become the largest cash cow on the planet in regards to gaming, regardless of whether or not they were aware of its upcoming successful tenure related to their, at the time most popular game, Warcraft 3 - World of Warcraft. They had nobody to spare for development on Diablo 2 and thus it took a backseat.

Let’s take a look at version history here;

Ver. 1.09 - 2001 - The last patch to Diablo 2 that introduced many major changes/fixes
Ver. 1.09b - 2001 - Minor fixes
Ver. 1.09c - 2001 - 1 major fix, rest are minor
Ver 1.09d - 2001 - Minor fixes
Starting to see a pattern here… No attempts to make sure the game isn’t breaking every month.
Ver 1.10 - 2003 - New content and consequently, the last patch to be released by original Blizzard North crew. Most of the original Diablo 2 crew has left Blizzard North.
Ver 1.11 - 2005 - New Content with very little thought put into it compared to the last Major Content patch. Blizzard North is now dissolved.
Ver 1.11b - 2005 - Another minor bug fix patch.
Ver 1.12 - 2008 - Bringing their IPs to a more modern standard to make the game more easy to install plus one minor bug fix.
Ver 1.13c - 2010 (Not sure where 1.13 went, guess ‘c’ was more attractive) - Blizzard North introduced a feature that gained a LOT of traction in WoW - Respec ability. some major bug fixes unrelated to gameplay outside of duping which never got fixed and aura stacking which to my knowledge is still slightly broken. May need a citation here. Some minor bug fixes.
Ver 1.13d - 2011 - Bringing Diablo 2 into more modern Battle.net standards. “Fixes” duping again! Some minor fixes.

ANYWAY. The thought I am trying to illustrate here is the game was abandoned very early on with more focus on adding “new” content rather than actually fixing or improving anything what so ever while there was never true intent to support the game.

Call it “a part of the game” if you will, I’m not here to tell you you’re wrong, but to dismiss the fact that the game stayed in standards brought on by 1999-2000 game design and not see past the thought that it’s “thoughtful decision making” being the reason why the inventory is so small and charms being the crux in which makes or breaks a character and refusing to accept that the game would most likely have been improved to meet a more modern standard is just pot calling the kettle black. I use this idiom purely because even though I use the evidence I have presented, it is also partly speculation because I have no definitive proof that the game would’ve been improved if Blizzard North actually had cared about it or if Blizzard Irvine cared to continue its development.

The conclusion here is people are looking at this without digging into the past, reading about what actually happened with the game, why it came to be, why it was left in the sorry state it was developed in - especially when amongst other Blizzard titles that received a lot more attention and improvements.

Now, is this saying that any of the features I listed SHOULD happen? Of course not! But would they improve the game? Absolutely! They’re improvements on the systems as any other ARPG has proven - hell, even some Diablo 2 mods!

(we’re going to continue to use Path of Exile for comparison because it is a very well designed game, ignoring some very major behind-the-scenes issues with the renderer - and it is also the Diablo franchise’s direct competition and bane)
Path of Exile has meaningless combat, as you just rock up and smash everything without holding down a button or two and the further you get into the game, you’re beginning to turn it into micromanegement hell, but it’s a through-and-through looter to the core. It gives your character a rather respectable inventory size and mostly infinite stash space. It encourages looting like there is no tomorrow.
It even did away with the idea of including anything in your inventory that gives you power because the idea is to not clutter your inventory with anything but treasure. Simple as that.

Going as far to say that charms are space vs power choices is one way of looking at it but it is not an argument against why Charm Inventory could improve the game, it is an argument against why it should/should not be included. Two very different scenarios.

If you can explain to me in very simple terms why you would rather not have the option to pick up five 2x4 Hydra Bows or a mix therein of several different 2x4 items, and instead be relegated to a single 1x2 item or a single 1x3 item, or two 1x3 items and have to go back to town, dump your entire inventory -
which mind you is a chore and a half, not “a more difficult game feature that gives it meaning”, it is lack of game design finesse on Blizzard Irvine’s part - then go back and pick up all of your items, then place THOSE items in your stash or even put them on the ground in front of your stash because your myriad of charms took your entire stash up for what space was left in it - - - I would love to hear it.

But keep in mind, it is just a nostalgic or stubborn belief in a game design you hold dear to your heart and I respect that but it doesn’t provide justification against fixing a very broken game - that again - has to compete with very very well designed ARPGs that are more modern and will likely continue to keep its playerbase when everyone that plays those games gives Diablo 2 Resurrected a chance and gets bored because it forces them to submit to a standard of the past that doesn’t work any more.

eeeeeee–… my bad, huge wall of text, but it’s worth the read, lol.

2 Likes