[Main Thread] Windows 19041 - Freezing for 5-10 seconds

Shame on you Blizzard. This problem has been there for almost a year and you still haven’t fixed it?

7 Likes

This issue is happening for me, none of the other tips worked… but the .bat file does, thankyou! Some tips for others:

1. I made the .bat file in a text editor like notepad, then renamed it in a dos prompt, im sure there are other methods if you look online.
  2. IMPORTANT: The .bat file needs to be in the x64 folder with those 2 files (otherwise nothing happens). I then made a shortcut to it on my desktop.
  3. The best way is to now open the Battlet Net Client and if prompted you need to ‘Update’ D3 as it will detect any previous file changes (there is no other option), then run the .bat file, and it will copy the file (the client wont re-check) & the .bat will launch the game.

Cool this has been an issue for over a year and it just killed my HC character… Glad to know blizz still cares about their games.

4 Likes

Dead hc hero.
tracert
60 ms 37 ms 37 ms pr01.eqfr5.blizzardonline. net [80.81.195.26]
8 3144 ms 1488 ms 879 ms ae1-br01-eqfr5.as57976. net [137.221.80.33]

Dead server D3

And after that they write that we have problems ??? Maybe all the same crooked handles from blizzard engineers. Which cannot configure the network.

So here are my steps for the fmodex64.dll replacement (all on your own machine, with your own scripts):

1. Disabled automatic updates to D3 in bnet settings, download section.
  2. Copied “C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo III\x64\fmodex64.dll” to a different (user chosen) location. This location will store the old backup of fmodex64.dll and a copy from our other game (either Hearthstone or Starcraft2).
  3. Copy the file from Hearthstone or Starcraft2 into the same folder. My Starcraft2 .dll was found: “C:\Program Files (x86)\StarCraft II\Support64\fmodex64_4_44_23.dll”.
  4. Now create the powershell script file by creating a .txt and renaming the extension to .ps1.
  5. Edit the .ps1 file with a test editor, replacing with your chosen location. As shown, the script deletes the old file if it exists, and copies the hearthstone or starcraft2 .dll file from our user chosen location:

Remove-Item -Path “C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo III\x64\fmodex64.dll”
Copy-Item “<user chosen location>\fmodex64_4_44_23.dll” -Destination “C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo III\x64\fmodex64.dll”

1. Open battle.net app.
  2. Run this script by selecting “Run with Powershell”
  3. Run/open D3.

This allows you to run without this freezing issue, but as mentioned from many commenters above, removes in game sound.

We typically have to run the script every time before starting D3 because the battle.net app likes to replace the .dll file on occasion.

2 Likes

Think I may have solved my issue by quite a bit by launching the game in 32bit mode instead of 64bit. Still some lag here and there but seems like it’s been reduced by about 75%. It helped me so figured it might help others.
Beside the play button open the options press game settings. Then click on Diablo 3 and look for a check box that says “Launch 32-bit client (instead of 64-bit)”. Check that box and launch the game to test.

I tried the fmodex64.dll fix mentioned in the thread and that did not fix it. Then I did a scan and repair for corrupted files on the Battle.net launcher and it worked! I’ve played for 3 days with zero issues, no lag spikes, no freezing/hanging, etc.

I saw how that did not fix someone else’s issues, but it worked for me. Go figure.

The 10 second death freeze just happened 7 times in a row with about 15 seconds interval on a grift level. I exited the level and then hopped back in and it way okay. Just odd since I’ve had zero issues yesterday.

Diablo 3 repair said: Scan complete, no repair required.

Having this same problem. Game freezes for about 3-5 seconds, then continues. Mouse still moves. Also having huge lag spikes where I can still walk around, but the game is stuck.

I have the same issue. Game freezes for 5-7 sec sometimes more than 10 sec and when it come back I find myself dead ! I will not replace anything and I won’t play Diablo 3 without sound ! Next step is to play it without video :smile:

Replacing the file works but its not fun playing without sound. For ME, the solution is to drop sound channels to lowest AND run the game process with only cores 0 and 1 using the set affinity function within task manager. This works every time for me and I still have sound.
The REAL issue is how this has been going on for almost a year without a fix and how the last blue post was July last year. Scary just low little they give a F about their games and community now.

2 Likes

This issue sucks. I hope they resolve it soon.

1 Like

Applied the fix to fmodex64.dll, works fine for me. Before i had at least one freeze in each run, it is no longer the case.

At maximal load (e.g full party high level of greater rift), the Diablo 3 game will often lagg (taking some 5 seconds to fix itself).

My theory is that it is a sub-optimal configuration of the client PC that is causing a hickup. And the hickup will cause the networking code
to lose sync with the server and hence, 5 seconds freeze lagg required for resync.

So what could be the cause?
For the computer savy of the readers I give you some hardware settings to experiment with.
Please report back if you see any improvements in lagg.
Please also write if you have other settings that could be added to the list below.

Things to check ( disclaimer! do below at own RISK!) :

1. update OS, update drivers, update BIOS, GFX firmware, etc.
    remove timer hardware bios

2. Check computer RAM, are all the RAM sticks rated for the same speed etc
    Check BIOS settings for RAM, is the RAM running at correct speeds, using XMP, undervolted or overvolted, overclocked etc?
    Set BIOS RAM settings to safe compatible settings.

3. Check BIOS settings for the CPU, is the RAM running at correct rated clock frequence, undervolted or overvolted, overclocked etc?
    Set BIOS CPU settings to safe compatible settings.
    Try with BIOS CPU power saving settings set to disable (disable altering the voltage and disable C-state of the CPU).

4. optimise and test bios settings
    Look through the BIOS settings, what can be done?
    Try stuff like disable High Precision Event Timer and disableing unused io-ports etc

5. GFX settings, try different settings like:
    e.g. nvidia nvidia panel
    vsync off
    threaded optimizing (multithreading) off
    Energy saving setting ( set to use full GPU, “optimal performance”)
    Max picture frequence (set to hz of monitor, " 60 BPS" )
    PhysX setting (try setting it to cpu or gfx, avoid auto)

6. diablo 3 game settings:
    video:
    do not enable vertical sync
    do not enable reflections
    do not set max forground FPS
    do not set max background FPS
    texture quality - low
    shadow quality - low
    physics - low
    clutter density - off
    Anti-aliasing: none
    enable - Low FX
    enable Low FX
    do not enable SSAO

sound:
disable sound (if it seems to work without lagg , enable sound again)
disable music
set sound channels to lowest
chat:
remove all chat channels and leave all communities

1. setup proper network, do not use wifi, VPN, proxy, crappy cables, old routers etc.
  2. use network tools as ping, trace etc to verify good connection and no packet loss
  3. remove all necessary program that might hog resource
  4. remove and disconnect all necessary hardware that might hog resource
  5. clean dust out from pc, set all fan to spin at max
  6. buy more case fans and buy better cpu cooler and overclock cpu.

Just got this freeze on me, I thought my HC char was a goner, lucky it was frozen on good spot.

Trying out the fix now.

This bug is honestly a shame, bought the game to play with friend… Getting my computer freeze every 1 min… My PC is latest config on market… And having to look for Third party fix from community… When the issue remain for 6 monthes…

Honestly, i am shocked…

Got a recent PC, with fiber gigabit connection, all drivers updated. The only thing that fixed the problem was using a recent version of fmodex64.dll.

Actually, the issue has been happening for years, with a game freeze once you enter the game, most of the time. It was fixed by restarting the game.

The only thing that changed recently was that the freeze now happens every few minutes.

Someone know where is can find this file in Hero of the Storm? I don’t want to buy Starcraft 2 for a bug…