GoD nerf must be reworked

This has lazy written all over it.

There are some people who get mad whenever you joke about interns coding this game.

But this is no joke. Only an intern could have come up with this stupid nerf.

9 Likes

I am absolutely sure that the person who created this ridiculous nerf was not the person who created this set.

6 Likes

The nerf is way too much, completely destroys this build. It makes impale a better option for DH now. Non seasonal I’m paragon 4124, good gear (6-7 primals with the preferred stats, 12 out of 13 items augmented 125 or higher), my legendary gems are at 137 - I was able to run GR132 and felt like if I fished for maps I could go higher.
So this morning I went on to try the PTR. Brought a bunch of higher level gems from the season and redid augments on all gear with lvl 140+ gems, found a couple of better items as well and imported from season, replaced the 137 legendary gems with 150s, added 400 paragons. Can’t kill anything in a GR125 now.
I don’t really understand the concept of nerfing build, there’s no such thing as OP. You look at the leaderboards you’ll see a handful of people there, paragons 8-10k+ able to pull a GR150 but nothing like trashing the GR150 as they do in meta. And for the amount of time those guys put in the game to bring their paragon as high, I think they deserve to be able to play 150s.
But apparently Blizzard want the 150 to be untouchable by mortals. Every time a good build is capable of reaching GR150 they destroy it with nerfs after nerfs.
I feel that every class should have a good set (overpowered if that’s what you like to call it) and that would bring balance between classes.
Rather than nerfing, restore Vyr, Mundunugu, GoD, Valor and others to their glory days. Having more viable builds to chose from give people options as opposed to the current situation where a class or another gets pushed forward every season and everybody’s doing the same thing.

11 Likes

The core issue is that when you are fishing for a high leaderboard clear, you need a missile dampener. Probably multiple (my 146 had two). Now that the build picks up nemesis bracers via emanate, you might need one for the boss now too. That makes pushing with GoD extremely RNG-dependent, moreso than many other builds in the game. It also raises the ceiling of the build 5+ tiers because of a very specific and rare interaction.

As a DH player, I generally agree that something needed to be done about this. What I don’t agree with was the extremely heavy-handed way in which this nerf was applied, severely hampering the build’s ability to kill trash, 10+ tiers weaker without a missile dampener present. And they didn’t fix the core issue with missile dampeners at all, just moved it to different builds. This being the PTR, they have time to adjust before it goes live, which is why I’m hoping they do so.

10 Likes

I searched but couldn’t really find answer: How is the duration determent the one arrow stays after it has been shot? Is it distance?

I was thinking if you measure in seconds what the max time is of a shot arrow, then set that as a maximum arrow time the arrow can be in the game. So when it enters a missile damping shield it can still pierce everything till the time runs out.

I hope it makes sens, i’m sure it’s not that simple and overlooking something.

I rather would see the affix temporarily removed for the season so they can figure it out to fix it, rather than breaking a build this bad.

1 Like

Each hungering arrow has a max distance travelled of 120 yards. That is why missile dampeners were so strong, they’d dramatically increase your number of pierces per given distance since they’d travel less far.

1 Like

10-15 tiers is what I calculated too (roughly). Hungering arrow gets like 5-6 pierces and last pierce does most damage.

I wonder how many people will stop playing DH or diablo all together because of this huge nerf. For me there is certainly no incentive to play DH if this nerf goes through, because I wont be able to reach a high solo GR at some point and no other set appeals to me.

8 Likes

This feels eerily like the season Barb got reworked for Wastes and Rend with Lamentation. First PTR: “wohoo! barb is playable! it also has dmg!!”
second PTR: “…umm… wtf? damage gone why nerf again??”
live: “okay we got some damage back, but not all… okay I guess…”
I HOPE blizz will rework the GoD-nerf…

I’ve got 4.3k para, fully augmented gear, lots of juicy primals (no follower ofc!) and on NS I clear 135 easily enough. on PTR it’s a whole 'nother story - 115 feels like 125-130. Changed rune to Lightning on HA and that was a tiny bit better, but I have to go Stricken … on 115 (!!!) since boss takes too long.
right now fishing to clear a 125… wow… much fish… very nerf

Honestly, I REALLY struggle to understand this nerf at all. Why? all because of ONE RANDOM elite affix??? Really? Blizz actually spends a lot of time on developing an entirely new set for all the class and after a short time, that set… is the worst of them all. Bantha-poodoo. Even friggin Nats-HA works better…

No, I really agree with OP here, the simplest solution would be to remove missile dampening and rework it to the core, like Blizz did with Stonesinger RG in the beginning of the seasons when he was superduper easy.
OR
Make the “max 2 pierce” be “per target” not “in total”. That’d only lower with a couple of GRs I’d imagine, and Missile Dampners wouldn’t be a good pull anymore.

“Hey, we made a new cool set for y’all!”
“wow, thanks! oh its awesome!! Perfect! DH is playable over 120 again! woop!”
“…oh, yeah that’s not supposed to work, NERFFFFFFFF!”
“icrievritim…”

10 Likes

OP is 100% correct. The nerf doesn’t address the stated concern of missile dampening + ninth cirri satchel. And it does send the GoD set to the trash heap. I use my DH for solo speed GRs 80~100. This nerf is over doubling my clear times.

8 Likes

Best solution I think is to change Missile dampener to max 2 hungering pierces when GOD hits, not nerf the whole set. That is apply the max 2 hungering pierces only inside missile dampeners, so change the Elite not the whole set.

WIth my proposal missile dampeners would become an avoid for DH’s instead of a blessing. Buff the missile dampeners instead nerfing the set!

I can live with Missile dampeners getting the GOD nerf, max 2 pierces, but not the whole set overall.

Like a comment above said, this nerf was given very short thought time and not thought trough very well.

2 Likes

I’m a Monk player, I never play DH but I feel for DH’s. They have been out of the meta for a long time then get GoD and can do a fair amount of things with zdps and dps.

Blizz allow it for not the first season it was introduced but kept it as is for a second season.

Then they have nerfed it into the ground.

All the interviews they have done in the past have said you cannot give people power then take it away…which is what they have done.

If they did it for server performance then they need to rework it to give the power back without the server performance issues.

But either way what they have done is pretty bad…and that is from a non DH player.

#feelsbadman

12 Likes

Got a perfect theme for s23: Season of Nerf

I’ve been a DH main on two accounts, one since vanilla. I’ve happily played through DH’s ups and downs, being ok with it never usually being top dog. I think my favorite build feel is UE, but I had long tried to make a viable strafe build. I eventually found I could make a very fast LoN Strafe build to farm mats and cosmetics - i loved the build. When GoD came out i was ecstatic, a powerful strafe build! I poured many hours and much love into the build.

I remember blizzard devs saying something akin to they: “never wanted someone to log in and have their character feel less powerful.” This feels like a slap in the face. Those hours spent grinding were for naught - my build feels like I don’t have a single augment, or worse.

I don’t care if DH is the most powerful build or not, but it’s hard to log back onto DH after such a heavy handed approach has been taken to this build. I sincerely hope devs walk back some of this approach - it is genuinely saddening for DH’s.

7 Likes

I just made a list of possible reworks, please check it out and post suggestions there if you have an idea that isn’t close to one of those listed. I’m trying to consolidate the ideas so the developers can quickly see all the ideas with pros/cons in one place:

9 Likes

Man, seeing this kind of feedback is disappointing. If the intention as stated in the Patch Notes, is to “address concerns” about how the piercing arrows interacting with missile dampening, then why does it also affect arrows outside of missile dampening? It’s just head scratching.

5 Likes

This is a good suggestion imo. Buffing missile dampening this way would def achieve desired result and wouldn’t nerf a fun set to oblivion.

1 Like

The real fix is no fix at all. It is a rare mob type and should just be treated as a bonus for this build. Let’s face it, it was probably just an excuse for the devs to nerf demon hunters back into the ground where they apparently want us. Apparently they have their favorite and least favorite builds too. RIP DH, not just GoD.

6 Likes

a missile dampener can give you up to 5 levels. now imagine having two or three in one GR

I really really hope they fix this mechanic going forward rather then killing the set to the ground that’s a new set. If its nerf is intended for MD then fix MD not ruin the whole set from the pierces.
The set is a amazing set and so fun to play and active. Please fix the mechanic not nerf the GoD set to unplayable.
DH has no ground with this way it is on PTR.
A guy with 14,000 Paragon was able to just do a 140 at near 14min mark. That’s bad really bad.

6 Likes

And he did it with shatter shot, not devouring arrow.

Shatter shot is bugged, with the side arrows not having a pierce cap, thus still taking advantage of missile dampening. I’m pretty sure this will be fixed.

No one has done above a 130 so far with devouring arrow on GoD6.

8 Likes