With near universal approval can we get a response about dual spec please

This is definitely how you construct an objective reality… :joy:

Boosts didn’t help with this. They expediated the in-and-out effect. Obliterated alts leveling, mats not from bots flooding market from leveling.

lower server pop?
but some servers currently have layers…
the kids on the mega servers couldn’t log in so they created more servers with layers.
people got tired of playing game and the servers didn’t need so many layers.
but people didn’t like empty servers so they transferred back to the layered servers.
none of this involves having a dual spec.

1 Like

So you would rather he portray his opinions as a “near universal” instead of him showing his own opinions and why he has those opinions?

Because he’s actually having a discussion, not projecting his beliefs as if it’s everyone belief.

1 Like

I’m sure Ghostcrawlers opinion really doesn’t matter to Redshadowz now lol, and maybe we can move on from the “intended hindsight design theory” of TBC line of thought…

Good finds.

1 Like

Thank you!

I have that person blocked but was curious what you responded to, so I expanded it. A mistake really.

An “objective reality” isn’t something you “construct”. It just is and you observe it or not.

We’re all engaging in opinion here. It’s subjective - it’s opinion about an imaginary constructed world no less. Even people that claim to be certain and “objective” are making subjective claims in this topic, whether they admit it or not. That’s why we have discussions, because there’s multiple valid views. There are views that are illogical and invalid too. All we can claim is that an opinion is valid or it isn’t, we can’t claim it is “objective reality”, unless we’re making a clearly observable or provable (mathematically), or axiomatic claim, like 1+1 = 2.

It annoys me when people seem to think asserting something categorically enough makes it more true …

5 Likes

They added the profession trainers to Shattrath that they thought needed to be readily accessible. They could have added every profession trainer, but they didn’t. Not because they wanted to make it harder for some professions to level than others. But because they didn’t want to clutter Shattrath with anything that wasn’t necessary.

The idea that they didn’t add class trainers to Shattrath to make it harder to respec, but added portals to every major city, is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. At least if you’re going to throw out stupid speculation to troll me, it should make sense.

Then lets not speculate.

Here is the evidence that Dual Spec was counter to design intention in TBC. It is clearly articulated that the devs thought the respec costs were fair and that it was by design:

The debate about whether Dual spec wasn’t included due to omission rather than design is over. It was not in TBC by design.

2 Likes

From your link…

"The argument about people respeccing for Arena teams makes the assumption that everyone is somehow running in one and thus needs multiple respecs. This is not true. Not everyone is respeccing between PvE and PvP and it's not a majority of players that need to."

If that is the reason they didn’t added dual-spec, isn’t it a fundamentally flawed premise?

What if the majority need to respec between raids and arenas? What if the majority want to do arenas?

What she said may have been true in early TBC when almost no one pvp’ed competitively. But was it still true in late TBC? Aren’t we in essence playing late-TBC?

Does it matter? What matters is their intention. That’s a design choice.

Noone is claiming (or needs to claim) that all the design choices were best or right, but rather these were the design choices and any recreation of the game that seeks to stay faithful to the original needs to abide by them. There needs to be demonstration that these design choices are running counter to their intention before you can argue that we deviate from them.

3 Likes

Classic TBC is not seeking to stay faithful to anything. And other than a few purists, no one wants it to.

Why do people prefer older versions of WoW? What do people like about TBC? What is the essence of Classic?

Almost all players supported disabling world buffs. That isn’t because it was “TBC design”. It wasn’t about “recreating TBC as it was”. It was because world buffs suck.

I’m opposed to changing TBC unless those changes are obvious improvements and if they don’t change the essence of the game.

From a roleplaying perspective, horde-vs-horde battlegrounds make no sense, but people aren’t doing battlegrounds for roleplaying. They’re doing them for honor or because they enjoy PvP.

If there weren’t cross-realm battlegrounds I would oppose horde-vs-horde queues, because I think faction rivalries are a good thing. But Blizzard decided to launch with cross-realm battlegrounds so none of those rivalries exist.

My only reservation about horde-vs-horde queues was how it might impact faction balance generally. And since faction balance is something most players care about, I don’t want something that makes it even worse.

Basically, there things that make TBC fun. Those are the things people play TBC for. They don’t play TBC for the 50g respec or for 1-hour battlegrounds queues.

That’s not what the developers of it claim -

With Burning Crusade Classic , we still want to make sure we’re providing an experience true to the Burning Crusade , maintaining the essential elements of the expansion that players expect.

Some changes means exactly that some. It’s not a free for all. They are still committed to staying somewhat faithful to the original.

At the very best you can assume they will be very cautious about any changes out of step with the original game design.

5 Likes

What are these essential elements? Paid boosts? Same-faction battlegrounds? Store mounts?

Maybe you should ask Blizzard. To be fair they’ve been pretty vague about this.

But the original design intent behind respeccing was intentional. So you need to make an argument to justify why TBC classic needs to deviate significantly from the original design intention.

2 Likes

testing test

2 Likes

it was used in my analogy of government, businesses, clubs, etc selling lifetime passes for a 1 time price… just like dual spec.

keep up chief.

Come on dude, even given a generous guess that you’re EST, it’s like 2-5am. Not the time to be “keepin’ up”.

1 Like

central… and am an insomniac. i was just about to go see what’s on tv and try to pass out like usual around this time.

(when the coin collector crap starts on history channel, it’s 3am. when adam & eve starts on comedy channel, it’s 4am. lol)

night though. catch ya later. =]

It was intentional, but as you said, everything is a trade-off. When only 1% of the playerbase kills a boss in Naxxramas, trade-offs will tend to favor the other 99%. When 99% of your playerbase clears Naxxramas, it will be the opposite.

World buffs weren’t a problem when 1% of the population raided, but they were a major problem when 99% of the population raided.

Blizzard didn’t feel the need to change the 50g respec in early TBC when PvP participation was low and where very few people were raiding. The pressure mounted throughout TBC, and Blizzard made many blue-posts in defense of it, then at some point they realized it was a losing battle. The game was no longer levelers and friends doing 5-man dungeons. It was a game dominated by PvP and raiding.

In TBC Classic, the leveling aspect of the game has been so thoroughly destroyed through boosts that Blizzard even starting selling them.

Whatever TBC was originally intended to be, isn’t what it became. And TBC Classic is an extremely accelerated version of that. Even if Blizzard had made TBC Classic exactly as it was originally, it would still be a completely different game.

In any case, the 50g respec is trash.

2 Likes

There’s just no conceivable reality in which you play the game regularly and actually find the 50g respec to be that much of an obstacle.

There are so many solutions to having more gold, and instead of going with any of them, to you the best route is to beg on the forums for a highly-unlikely-to-be-added feature to a classic recreation nostalgia game when that feature never actually existed in that version of the game?

I mean…

Like come on, man. Just…do the work lol.

5 Likes