Windows 11 Issues

Hey,

I just purchased a new legion levono computer from bestbuy and I’m having nothing but issues with the battle.net launcher and installs.

Since the 18th, I’ve been battling to get it going, however, it keeps telling me I need admin permissions to install or update. It keeps referring me to article for error BLZBNTAGT00000841

I’m at a loss right now. The account I logged into with the computer is my microsoft account I’ve used for awhile now. My gaming laptop is a windows 10 and uses the same account with no issues. I’ve tried enabling the Administrator account on the computer and when I log into that account it tells me I can’t do it either. I’m not sure what to do at this point.

Any advise, please would help. Thank you

edit

Also, all my Blizzard games have installed fine, however, they’re all telling me they need to be patched and that’s the error I’m getting "Please try again after logging on as an administrator.

Windows 11 sucks man

1 Like

That error is generally “Blizz app can’t update your game because it can’t write to disk because of permissions.” Possibly Windows 11 is protecting the directories the games are in more than Windows 10 did.

Did you try running the Blizz app as administrator? After all, that what it’s telling you to do.

The alternative would be to move the games out of whatever protected directories they’re in to a non-protected directory structure.

This is the semi-relevant Support article.

1 Like

I am running it in admin mode as well as the administrator account.

Both in my SSD and HDD it is telling me I need to patch the game on an administrator account

Well, I’m stumped. Given what you’re describing, you shouldn’t have the update problems you describe.

There’s a General Discussion post about running WoW in Windows 11 and the consensus is that it works ok.

No one reported any issues updating their Blizzard software. Whatever it is in your case, it must be distinctive to your system setup. Like extra non-standard security software interfering with the update.

I’m running Windows 11, and I don’t have any problems at all, with WoW or other Blizzard games. I have them all installed in the root of my D:\ drive. So…

D:\World of Warcraft
D:\Diablo II Resurrected
D:\Diablo III
D:\Starcraft
D:\Starcraft II
D:\Warcraft III

They all update just fine.

I will note that I do not have my Windows account set up as a Microsoft account. My account is set up as a local administrator account. That could be the difference. All of the Blizzard games I have installed update and run properly with no issues.

To rule out a bad administrator permission issue on your current windows account, try creating a new windows admin account for testing. Takes a couple of minutes and won’t mess with anything on your current admin account.

Outside of that and without more specific information the only other thing I can suggest is to clean up the Blizzard app. Since the issue is the app is not able to do a task it needs to do with applying data to itself or the affected game client, it could corrupt app data in regards to the affected client. This will not remove the game clients just settings for how the app interacts with them.

1. Open file explorer/file manager (Right Click Windows Start)
  2. Navigate to the folder where the desktop application would normally be installed. Delete that folder if it exists (usually program files x86)
  3. Type the following into the address bar (not the search bar): %APPDATA% and press enter.
  4. Delete the Bnet and blizzard folders inside the appdata folder if they exist.
  5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 with %PROGRAMDATA% %LOCALAPPDATA% and %TEMP%
  6. Empty the recycle bin.
  7. Now reinstall the app to the C: Drive.

We recommend the C drive for the Blizzard app because of potential windows permission issues with programs that can modify other programs. Your games should be fine on the D drive.

That should help but if the issue persists, I’d suggest submitting a support ticket for additional assistance:

https://us.battle.net/support/en/help/contact/159/ticket

Please include the requested system files and also any steps you tried.

1 Like

Found this post after hours and hours of searching and the deletion of root information worked perfectly. Highly recommend making these instructions a blue post of its own for quick Google compatibility. With the windows 11 update I’m guessing you’re going to see a lot of this issue.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.