When are we getting normal flying?

Those whopping 52 :heart:’s on your post are clearly a vast amount!

1 Like

They better not phase out Flying. Blizz has seen the community rise up in the past over the same issue. Moot point really. If anything Dragon riding (glyding) is an exclusive ability inside this expansion only. Because its been popular I can see them expanding but not phasing out anything.

:man_shrugging:

4 Likes

ikr i cant stand it. i find it impossible to collect herbs with 10 toons on follow. they all fall to the ground. i cannot destroy the market like this.

2 Likes

I have seen this said again and again, but does anyone have a link to this being absolutely stated? The most recent thing I can find was an interview from late November with Ion Hazzikostas and he did not state that at all when addressing flight.

"He added: “We want to make sure that we don’t create a world where only a handful [of mounts] are worth using. [Dragonriding] is limited to working within the Dragon Isles. So when players go elsewhere, when they’re in dungeons, when they’re playing on alts, when they’re going back to Stormwind or Orgrimmar and so forth, the full array of other amounts will be available.”

As for the future plans of this feature or how it’ll work beyond Dragon Isles, Hazzikostas said it’s something the team is actively discussing and they are aware of the positive feedback on dragonriding but there is nothing “specific to announce right now”.

2 Likes

Here you go… as already posted above.

1 Like

That is an April 2022 Wowhead article, not a statement from Blizzard. There is only one sentence quoted from Ion Hazzikostas that can be interpreted to address old style flying - “Long term, flying with your regular mounts is still the plan.” That is a bit ambiguous. Long term? Does that mean post-Dragonflight?

The interview I posted was from about one month ago. Ion himself specifically addressed the issue of our old mounts and being able to use them…and his answer was that we will be able to use them in the old world, and that they are still discussing dragon riding flight plans for the future beyond the dragon isles.

I don’t think its safe to assume that old style flying is definitely going to be added to Dragonflight.

1 Like

I think it is. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

It’s not that I don’t like it. I think it’s bad for the game for anyone to have it. Not sure if you get it, so I’ll explain. Just like unchecked botting affects everyone in the game even those who don’t bot, air-swimming with infinite hover affects everyone in the game, even those who want it removed.

here’s why its bad for the game:

It allows players to disengage from world terrain features and NPCs by doing 90 degree movement changes without any downside. There’s a reason instances restrict mounting and don’t allow flying because it would completely negate all NPC and nearly all boss mechanics. If Blizzard allowed instacast mounting and flight in PVE instances, you’d find that players would optimise the fun out of instances and those that did not do so would be at a gear and gold disadvantage to those who did. I afk on my mount but I think it’d be better for the game if the flight model had at least some challenge and greater engagement than “just-press-spacebar-for-total-immunity”

And now with dragonriding, we have a much better flight model to replace legacy air-swimming +infinite hover with and while it’s ok to have airswimming for legacy expansion areas and while dragonriding should be made possible with our legacy flying mounts, dragonriding should be the only flight model for current expansion zones going forward.

Sure its slower. It’s also more accessible to older, younger, and physically disabled individuals who have trouble with timed, rhythmic, or quick keystrokes and/or motion sickness. It doesn’t hurt you to have both. Think beyond your own desk for a second mate.

9 Likes

With respect, it’s not that clear. There’s a post People with Arachnophobia? which asks that an option be present to turn off spiders for those with arachnophobia and in that post, there are people who are desperately scared of open water who said that they were terrified of zones like Vash’jir. Out of a sense of misplaced compassion, should Blizzard allow people to toggle off spiders or water? Of course not. I’m all for making dragonriding more accessible but flight is a big challenge for MMOs and many MMOs have done away with it altogether, recognising how much of a hot potato it’s been for WoW to handle after its introduction in TBC.

Luckily, for “older, younger, and physically disabled individuals who have trouble with timed, rhythmic, or quick keystrokes and/or motion sickness” ground mounts, ferries and flight paths provide access to all parts of the game. If there’s a must-go area that isn’t accessible via ferries, ground mounts or flight paths, those should be added. That would be the compassionate and equitable solution.

1 Like
1 Like

I hope they don’t phase it out. There are a few things I just absolutely hate about dragonriding. Perhaps they will fix those things, but I doubt it:

• I don’t want to fly at 8000000% flying speed. It makes me dizzy and then I can’t play. Maybe I am in the minority here, but yeah, a game shouldn’t make you sick.
  • I don’t like that it time gates me on my mining/herbing.
  • I don’t like that if I sort of stop to look around, I can just drop out of the air…I always seem to have to be going fast. I like to stop and smell the roses - I don’t like zoom zoom dungeon runs and I don’t like zoom zoom flying. I want to enjoy the journey when I fly…otherwise I just use the flight paths to fly me from A to B.
  • I don’t like having to have 2 items used up on my bar for mounts. I personally hate this in classic that my flying mount/ground mount needs to both be on the bar. Dragon not usable in non-DF world, your old school mounts don’t fly in DF so not worth using. I pick mounts that can do ground/fly and use 1 hotkey. Always, since TBC. This is annoying.

If the devs hate how easy it is to get away on a regular mount…do they not know I can do 90% of the same thing on the dragon? Oh snap, I can’t afk 100m off the ground on a dragon…not a big deal. I also have a crapload of mounts i spent years farming. To have them all be useless in DF = BAD. If they go next xpac and think to continue to make them useless…good luck with your sub numbers blizzard.

Anyways, Dragonriding is different and I respect that people like it, but it also have some negatives and so why can’t those who ask for slow riding get it?

9 Likes

that is what I get in Org and Oribos as well

1 Like

Luckily, regular flying mounts already exist. Nothing has to be added or removed unlike your inaccurate comparison.

3 Likes

So does Dragonriding. Allow legacy flying mounts to use a dragonriding mechanic and as a concession, allow them to do air-swimming-with-infinite-hover once 11.0 is live. Nothing needs to be added or removed.

Their intentions are that you won’t ever have normal flight in the Dragon Isles. There will not be a pathfinder achievement, and you will not be able to buy any flight for the DF expansion.

Dragonriding is it.

Not really. It’s just tantrum prevention.

1 Like

I would settle for dragonriding with my Tuskarr Shoreglider, otherwise we really need regular flying ASAP.

I love Dragonriding, but I honestly feel that we should have the slower traditional flight as well for those that want it. We can have the best of both worlds in this case :slight_smile:

5 Likes

There is one good reason they won’t both be in the game - because Blizzard doesn’t want us to have access to normal flight on the Dragon Isles. They have explained that the Dragon Isles were designed for Dragonriding and it doesn’t sound like they intend to give us regular flying in this expansion at all.

Time to pack it in, because it’s just not happening unless the players mass quit over it, and I don’t see that happening.

Blizzard is not willing to give you that option. Nobody on the forums is stopping it. Blizzard didn’t offer you the option on purpose.

Blizzard feels that it hurts the experience they wanted for Dragon Isles. Do we as players understand what experience they mean? Some of us, but even we don’t necessarily respect their vision because we determine what is fun for us. Blizzard doesn’t see it that way. They prefer that we can’t fly on the Dragon Isles without Dragonriding, and that’s how they intend to keep it.

Blizzard says, “Too perfect. No hovering in the Dragon Isles.”

Blizzard designed it that way so you’d have to adapt or stay grounded. They are not brimming with sympathy in this case.

Good, because I doubt you’re getting that ability at any point.

It will be back in 11.0. Dragonriding isn’t here to stay.

Unlikely. It’s much more probable that the philosophy will end up being, “If you don’t like Dragonriding, don’t select Dragonflight in Chromie Time.”

Source? I don’t believe you.

You must share your sources.

Link this or you sit upon a throne of lies.

Thank you.

This is precisely how Blizzard feels on the issue unless something has changed within the past few days.

Link the timestamped interview or nobody believes you.

Can’t remove what wasn’t added. Won’t be added later either.

Finally. A good post.

I’m not going to stop you from setting yourself up for disappointment, but if you’re going to stage a sit-in until this is changed, you better bring a snack.

Permissions need to be toggled. Blizzard is unwilling to toggle them.

2 Likes

Did you really find it necessary to quote every single poster in the thread

3 Likes