What would you have done in Jaina's place?

Rush towards the nearest living thing and kill it.

I like Alliance drama, and I think the writing was actually pretty good on the “moral complexity” front. But I dislike Jaina being the figure chosen to bring all this about, and I hate how the game has continued to push the “poor tragic Jaina” narrative and tried to make me feel guilty for it.

12 Likes

Jaina was already on warpath since Cataclysm. Her troops were a threat to 3 playable Horde races.

1 Like

Every time someone pushes the Sad Jaina arch, a magister should throw a Gently Face Melting but loving fireball to her face :dracthyr_lulmao:

12 Likes

It feels like a lot of writers were fighting over which vision of jaina should be written

8 Likes

I dislike the whole idea to make Jaina an Alliance Faction Patriot, regardless of when it started. Especially because I feel like they did it just to boost Anduin.

I have always suspected this.

8 Likes

I hate the whole Jaina Faction Super Patriot because it literally goes against her entire character up to Cata.

Where she was always willing to put her loyalities aside and work with the horde for the greater good.

8 Likes

The thing is that early in the ptr. She had dialogue implying that the divinr bell was unleashed in darnassus. But they removed it and kept her reaction. She was reacting to a divine bell slaughter of alliance civilians that pushed her over the edge and back into warbringer mode

1 Like

There was cut or rather bugged scene that did not make it to launch. Aethas confronted garrosh when he had the dalaran portal used. Got intimidatrd into looking the other way. Which is why he fidgets at the accusation on isle or thunder

3 Likes

Yes she was super neutral before. But if she didn’t participate in Cataclysm Theramore would become irrelevant and nothing in Barrens would happen.

I am open to listen to ideas what other players would want to see.

But since she was already pushed this way why not to use it to escalate it even more and make her follow her father footsteps.
It would better than constant “I love Horde/ I hate Horde!” that we have right now.

4 Likes

Also anduin was originally slated to die from confronting garrosh and the blademaster

The hell do I know about what she’d do? Nobody nuked my home thankfully, so I don’t know what state of mind I’d be in. So I’m not even sure I’d be looking for solutions, instead of just going on a rampage.

But that does not change the fact she did it. Right or wrong for one prespective to another so, what does it matter? Trying to justify what she did is pointless since everyone on the WoW writing team has been pretending it didn’t happen, or doing their best to.

And what’s with these Jaina apologist threads as of late. You scared that she’s gonna get Sylvanas-ed now that Golden was removed? That it?

2 Likes

God, Please let a dev with a grudge do the same thing to her that they did with Rhonin when Knaak left

7 Likes

As Horde I would have trouble accepting the rulership of Dalaran as neutral given that a Proudmoore was in charge, declaring it “HER” city, especially the ruler of another so-called “neutral city” that was used to break the Horde hegemony in the Barrens.

10 Likes

Why not? Well, Benedikt said it better than I ever could:

I agree with everything he said.

I think they could have found creative ways to involve Theramore without making Jaina go Super Alliance Patriot. The simplest would be for her to appoint someone else to take over day-to-day rulership of Theramore because she’s busy with her duties in Dalaran, and have that person agree to Varian’s invasion plan.

5 Likes

“I support x war crime. What would you have done if it was YOU?” Never gets old.

Ok? But Since they already went on this path, it would be better to stick to it and gradually expand on it. Than constantly flip flop. First option would be a matter of disagreement other option simply broke the character.

Ok. Next Theramore ruler goes rogue, Thamore gets nuked. What’s next? Will Jaina remain neutral after that?
Big events like that should force you to re-evaluate your stances.

2 Likes

Maybe the lesson should be Don’t pick sides and let one side use your city as a base of operation for military movements against the horde

Can’t really get mad when the other faction decides you and your city are a threat that needs to be eliminated

2 Likes

Whether they started in Cata or MoP seems like a meaningless point to me. They never should have started it.

I could see it reinforcing her commitment to not joining the Alliance war machine, because it would show her what she would have brought on herself and her people if she had agreed to the plan. She might blame Varian for getting Theramore involved in the first place. At the same time, it would certainly convince her that Garrosh needed to be stopped.

Now, the next bit is just me riffing, but I think it could have been interesting: it leads Jaina to decide that in order to achieve her goal of peace between the Alliance and the Horde, Garrosh has to go. So she allows the Sunreavers to aid the Horde rebels if they wish and urges the Silver Covenant to work with them against Garrosh. But Vereesa (who’s always been hardline anti-Sunreaver) and the SC hardliners reject Jaina’s head-in-the-clouds plans and refuse to go along, backed by three members of the Council of Six against two others who side with Jaina. Now Dalaran is in a state of civil war. Groups of Silver Covenant and Sunreavers clash in the streets (and the PC can have daily quests to go fight the other side or persuade their own side to stand down, player’s choice). Members of the Alliance+Horde rebel coalition and Garrosh’s loyalists both attempt to take advantage of the situation to raid Dalaran’s vaults for magical artifacts that can be used against their enemies. Heck, Vaults of Dalaran could become a new dugeon!

That’s all stuff that I just came up with off the top of my head. I’m sure there are other or better possibilities. But it seems like there is plenty of story to be had without changing Jaina’s outlook. The key is that her ideas don’t have to be accepted by everyone in Dalaran. In fact, she’s more heroic if she holds onto her ideals in the face of opposition.

5 Likes

“Discussing a topic other than the faction complaint of the week? But that would be too hard!”

1 Like